Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Locke Clone's cruiser to standard build progress (Read 113 times)
LockeClone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Locke Clone's cruiser to standard build progress
08/04/17 at 16:09:24

I really like the old Japanese standards, but I also enjoy light weight, easy to maintain reliable bikes. Customizing an S40 seems like a good bet.

Link to more images: http://imgur.com/a/wOp4i

I want a nice flat bone line and pseudo-70's looks. Ultimate goal is to have something I can both carve up canyons with and take on medium-length tours.

Pretty proud about how the Triumph seat turned out. I have to work on my bike on the street, so everything was done with a sawzall, drill and Home Depot aluminum stock. very comfy, very cheap, very sturdy. And it gave me a good 4-5 inches of seat height which is very welcome.

Having trouble finding Intruder 800 shocks that are both cheap and in decent condition... If anyone has a line on some, please let me know.

Things I've done so far:
Raptor Petcock
Dyna Shorty muffler
re-jet (mostly fixed backfire)
Triumph seat
Tombstone windshield

Next on the the agenda:
Braided brake line
Longer rear shocks 12.5"
mid-set pegs
Mikuni round slider + ditch airbox
Smaller rear fender, maybe chrome
possibly a different tank...

http://imgur.com/a/wOp4i

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Locke Clone's cruiser to standard build progre
Reply #1 - 08/04/17 at 16:41:53

Nice work.
From what I've gathered the Intruder shocks aren't your best bet.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LockeClone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/04/17 at 16:57:27

Do you have any links or suggestions? I really want ~12.5" but I don't want to pay more than $100...

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 08/04/17 at 17:34:16

What's more important, a few hundred dollars or having a bike that gives a good ride?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
LockeClone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/04/17 at 17:50:06

In this case, a few hundred dollars. Soul crushing student debt is a pregnant dog...

Seriously though, I lay the bike over and spark my feelers just fine on the stock suspension, so as long as they're not worse than that I'm fine.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 08/04/17 at 18:32:03

I'm not the right guy for telling you what shocks are best. Or what they cost.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 08/04/17 at 19:04:26

The Intruder shocks are mechanically similar to the Savage shocks, just longer. I'd seek out some used Progressive shocks on eBay. See my suspension thread for compatible part numbers.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1498156004

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 08/04/17 at 19:13:55

What did you study in school?

IP Logged
xaman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/04/17 at 21:55:40

OEM triumph Bonneville SE (mag wheel) shocks are 330mm and generally can be found used for about $50.  Try Triumphrat.net Classifieds, there's almost always some take offs for sale there.  

Quality is not so good, which is why so many take them off.  But if you're on a budget they might fit your current situation and needs.

IP Logged
LockeClone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/04/17 at 22:21:12

@Gary: Fantastic thread you wrote. Lots of good info to digest. Unfortunately I'm on a bit more of a budget to optimize as well as your knowledge might allow me to.

@justin: I don't like to get too personal on the internet... Let's just say I have a degree in something that a starry-eyed kid who didn't know a nasty recession would hit right when he graduated would go for.

I've now landed as an entertainment rigger which is a great career, but it took many years to get going and I certainly didn't need my degree to do it.

@xaman: Sweet! That's a great length, and I bet the build quality is at least a little better than the s40 stock shocks.

Are you sure the mounting hardware is compatible? I know the s40 has 12mm/#14, which is larger than a lot of other bikes...

IP Logged
xaman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/05/17 at 07:00:37

IIRC it's straight swap.  At worst you'd have to source some sleeves, but I'm pretty sure they are the same.  

FYI, the mag wheel Bonneville are the only ones at 330mm.  The T100 (spoke wheel) is 340mm and the Thruxton/Scrambler models are 360mm. I'm referring to all the air cooled models and have no idea what they've done to the new water cooled bikes.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/05/17 at 07:33:13

LockeClone wrote on 08/04/17 at 16:09:24:
I really like the old Japanese standards, but I also enjoy light weight, easy to maintain reliable bikes. Customizing an S40 seems like a good bet.....

http://imgur.com/a/wOp4i
-----------------------

Me too, here's my build: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1472222031

You are off to a good start.  I'd like to see a little nicer seat/tank line.  If you go with longer shocks, you'll probably want to bump the front of the seat up anyway.  And if you are changing the tank and rear fender, it will all change anyways.  Mid controls and standard bars go a long way on a UJM build, but that's the cool thing about customs, you get to do what you want.

IP Logged
LockeClone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/05/17 at 11:52:31

Holy crap ohiomoto get out of my head! Your bike and your very-helpful thread are my new template. Nice job sir!

Reading through is making me rethink my order of operations. Maybe I'll work on the mid controls next because I really really want those, then I'll hit the rear fender and tank because I'll probably want to build a proper sub-frame once I have all the components.

You're right about the bone line being a bit wonkey. I kind of let it be for now because the rear fender and gas tank will change everything.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/05/17 at 12:22:25

Well, I would do the tank/seat/fender first because it might change the way you want to do the mid-controls.  There is a range of setups you can do from rear sets for stock (I rode my with stock pegs a few times), but not as much range working the tank/seat/fender to get them to work right.  

Before you do that, get your suspension/wheels the way you want.  That will affect how you go about the seat/tank/fender and your pegs are affected on where the seat ends up.  

I also did my build in stages so I wouldn't have long periods of downtime.  I did my wheels and forks.  I took on the tank/seat/fender over the winter.  Then tackled the mid-controls.  I made sure it was in running order after each step.  Since then I've just been doing little details.  

Good Luck!

IP Logged
LockeClone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 08/05/17 at 13:40:07

OK ohiomoto, I'll think I'll follow you advice. Playing with the wheels and suspension gets me going a little more anyway since it'll change the character of the ride. Thank you!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:26:54

General CategoryThe Cafe › Locke Clone's cruiser to standard build progress

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.