Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rode a Bonneville (briefly) (Read 78 times)
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Rode a Bonneville (briefly)
08/02/17 at 20:50:47

Rode a Bonneville yesterday. Positives, it had much more power than our beloved little bikes, it had two disc brakes, it would handle ok by my limited standards, once you are used to it, had more instruments  and warning lights than we do. Negatives, the side stand was hard to find, the foot pegs tangled in my over trousers, it is obviously heavier than our bikes and more difficult to back into my garage, the gear lever seemed too close to the foot pegs, the left foot peg would spring down annoyingly when you went to find the side stand.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Re: Rode a Bonneville (briefly)
Reply #1 - 08/03/17 at 02:34:15

Which Bonnie?
I've worked on the older 865cc oil cooled ones a fair bit. An honest 100+ lbs heavier than a Savage. Not a bad bike, but needed a bunch of stuff.
If you the one you rode had dual discs stock, it'd prob be one of the new water cooled ones. A different beast.
I've ridden the new Thruxton R, and it is a pretty amazing bike.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #2 - 08/03/17 at 14:10:33

Armen, I can't really say which one, because I don't know enough about them. As it had the front and rear discs, I will accept that it's one of the later ones, although I did notice a radiator. What we get in NZ may have different specs to USA.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 08/03/17 at 14:40:11

J

I would have got  a  "Speed-Master 865" when I got the Sportster,  if it were not for that "Chain Drive" thing Triumph won't give up.     To many memories of the old days with chain lube and messy rear rims ...  Sad

Honda don't want to give up the chain idea either ... maybe Harley won't let them ?  Huh

If ya don't mind "Liquid Cooling" and "Messy Rear Rims", have ya checked out the Honda 500 Rebel ?  Tongue  It feels really light and nimble

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #4 - 08/03/17 at 17:22:33

MM, what I had been looking at is the Yamaha Bolt, which is belt drive, short seat height 950cc so more power. I did sit on one and noticed the airbox banging my knee. By NZ standards, some of them can be had under retail, but they would still be costly by US standards. Reality is that the S40 is still doing 90% of what I want, it's main deficiency is that it's a little light on overtaking power. So I'll probably stick with it despite this and the tendency to butt rivet on longer trips, I can live with these two factors and I'm probably too disciplined to have multiple bikes. Two antique cars, one bike and a one modern car is enough

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/03/17 at 17:53:32

Two antique cars...

Ohhh, do tell..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 08/03/17 at 23:47:35

JOG, they are a 1929 and 1930 Willys Overland Whippet Four model 96A's, very popular as taxis and government cars in NZ at that time. If you do want to see mine go to www.wokr.org and click on photo gallery, scroll to 1929-31 Whippet four gallery and look for rego plates MR 1201 and BC 7683

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/04/17 at 01:32:47

That's cool stuff. Thanks

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:32:12

General CategoryThe Cafe › Rode a Bonneville (briefly)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.