Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Front brake switch (Read 137 times)
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Front brake switch
08/01/17 at 22:40:49

Hey all, back again with another gripe, the front brake switch on my 1988 savage is the type that has a contact that slides along a pair of rails and is not the most reliable of things - what year did they change to a push button type of switch and would I have to buy the lever and reservoir off a later model if I wanted to use one and is there any problems doing this - I've tried to think of any but it's half past six in the morning here and I haven't had any sleep yet, maybe there's a solution to make the incumbent switch a bit more reliable, thanks for any replies - off to me bed now, I will check in later ,cheers

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Front brake switch
Reply #1 - 08/02/17 at 06:53:12

I don't know about the year model and swapping thing, but have you looked at the switch to see if it comes apart or is it sonically welded together?  I have taken apart similar switches in other electrical thingys and cleaned the contacts with a fingernail file, lubricated with dielectric grease, and carefully put them back together.  Not sure about this switch and if that is possible or something you want to try?

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/02/17 at 07:50:13

You can try squirting electric contact cleaner in it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 08/02/17 at 07:56:42

Steddy58 wrote on 08/01/17 at 22:40:49:
Hey all, back again with another gripe, the front brake switch on my 1988 savage is the type that has a contact that slides along a pair of rails and is not the most reliable of things - what year did they change to a push button type of switch and would I have to buy the lever and reservoir off a later model if I wanted to use one and is there any problems doing this - I've tried to think of any but it's half past six in the morning here and I haven't had any sleep yet, maybe there's a solution to make the incumbent switch a bit more reliable, thanks for any replies - off to me bed now, I will check in later ,cheers

My '96 has the switch.
The actuator is cast into the lever and the switch is mounted to the master.

If you want to change it, there are pressure actuated switches that could be mounted to the hydraulic line.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 08/02/17 at 14:27:19

I've never had to do this to a Savage ,so I'm not sure it applies,but in years past I have used this on other Suzuki's I've owned .If it's the type I'm thinking ,you can clean the rails ,the part that slides is u shaped and if worn can be replaced with a #11 cap for a black powder weapon after removal  of the explosive charge

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #5 - 08/02/17 at 16:01:07

thanks for the ideas, to be honest I have replaced it,cleaned it loosened the screws holding it tightened the screws holding it and it works for a few times then it goes back to misbehaving, at the moment it does come on but only when I'm nearly at full on braking. I would really like to look into swapping it out for a more reliable one - the pressure actuated one mounted to the line intrigues me any idea where to buy one or at least have a look at one verslagen ? Batman thanks for the tip but unfortunately this being the good old UK you cant mention black powder, explosives or anything remotely to do with any sort of weapon more powerful than a pea shooter Smiley Smiley

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 08/02/17 at 18:06:23

WWW   IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #7 - 08/03/17 at 16:23:01

Thanks verslagen1, that looks a better (cheaper Smiley) option than buying a new lever,reservoir etc - has anyone got any experience of this type of switch?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 08/04/17 at 03:26:34

Steddy58 wrote on 08/03/17 at 16:23:01:
Thanks verslagen1, that looks a better (cheaper Smiley) option than buying a new lever,reservoir etc - has anyone got any experience of this type of switch?

Any Norton owner will.......

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 08/04/17 at 05:30:16

Wouldn't contact cleaner be something to try first?
Can you open it enough to squirt in it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #10 - 08/04/17 at 18:09:21

Will try that first JOG that would be the easiest option - fingers crossed

IP Logged
Tobias dk
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/10/17 at 23:03:17

Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home