Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
loud pop from exaust, at different times (Read 100 times)
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
loud pop from exaust, at different times
08/01/17 at 08:39:20

Really strange, when it's cold in the morning I get loud pops out of exaust. Understandably, but after it warms up is when it gets strange! If I hit a bump in the road it also pops loud from exaust. And at highway speeds 65 mph and above, if throttle is kept steady it pops.
Could a low float level be the cause? I haven't yet tried to diagnosis in any depth, ecept apply the choke and it made no differance. No idea of jet sizes and must make air mixture screw adjustable.
Any help would be great
Mike

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: loud pop from exaust, at different times
Reply #1 - 08/01/17 at 08:58:13

madmikesmech wrote on 08/01/17 at 08:39:20:
Really strange, when it's cold in the morning I get loud pops out of exaust. Understandably, but after it warms up is when it gets strange! If I hit a bump in the road it also pops loud from exaust. And at highway speeds 65 mph and above, if throttle is kept steady it pops.
Could a low float level be the cause? I haven't yet tried to diagnosis in any depth, ecept apply the choke and it made no differance. No idea of jet sizes and must make air mixture screw adjustable.
Any help would be great

Check the exhaust header flange for a loose connection. You may need to tighten the nuts.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 08/01/17 at 09:52:15

The pop when you hit bumps could be one of the side stand switch shutting off the ignition circuit......or a loose wire somewhere.  When you hit a bump the ignition is momentarily turned off/shorted out.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/01/17 at 10:14:18

"1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers, drag pipe,no baffles"  

You're bike has to be pretty lean to begin with.  I assume it was mostly running fine and this is a new problem?  If so, I would start with what Gary mentioned.  Make sure you have no exhaust leaks and that it's mounted properly and not moving. Assuming you bike is lean to begin with, any small exhaust leak will cause major issues.  So, check that first.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/01/17 at 10:19:09

madmikesmech wrote on 08/01/17 at 08:39:20:
Any help would be great
Mike

Well, "drag pipe,no baffles" will make any diagnostics difficult.
No baffles allows fresh air to mix in easily and any left over fuel will pop.
choke is not really a choke, it is fuel enricher and said to only work at low throttle.
You need to drop the bowl and check the jet sizes, otherwise we're just popping in the dark.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/01/17 at 15:29:05

Check the header flange bolts.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 08/01/17 at 20:17:29

I doubt it pops because of a bump in the road,what your feeling is the bike missing because it's going super lean ,it then pushs the unburnt fuel into the hot exhaust pipe to pop. you can't except to change to a straight pipe without a rejet of the carb. because it runs super lean.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #7 - 08/01/17 at 20:32:39

Thank you sll!! All VERY VALID point. First off Gary, one exhaust flag stud IS broken off.was that way since I bought the bike. I remember from my recent motorcycles a better flowing exhaust needs more fuel. And it DID just start acting this way! When I first bought it, it ran great. I read on this forum that the exhaust flange bolts being loose would make our Savages run odd. I guess it's time for me to do a little TLC and not just ride!!#
Thank you ALL you guys can't imagine how much I appriciate the knowledge Ya'll share.
Mike

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #8 - 08/01/17 at 20:55:39

batman wrote on 08/01/17 at 20:17:29:
I doubt it pops because of a bump in the road,what your feeling is the bike missing because it's going super lean ,it then pushs the unburnt fuel into the hot exhaust pipe to pop. you can't except to change to a straight pipe without a rejet of the carb. because it runs super lean.

Understood Batman. Thanks, but this is how I picked the bike up, as it is, I thought the correct jetting changes were made. I must pull the carb to do something to allow the mixture screw to be adjusted any how, so I'll pull the float bowl and get into finding out what jet ting is at that time. The P.O. removed the "cap" from the mixture screw, BUT,some how damaged the slot a screwdriver fits into for adjustment! The pipe was already installed when I purchased the bike.
All I've done is put bags and a rear tire on it, the rest of the mods were PRE my ownership. Thank full you all are knowledge and willing to help me figure it all out!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 11:27:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › loud pop from exaust, at different times

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.