Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Recommended torque for the exhaust bolts to the cy (Read 152 times)
DavidV
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Recommended torque for the exhaust bolts to the cy
07/29/17 at 10:25:07

Just got my bike and was changing the muffler. It would not line up due to the studs on the back of it. So, I figured I'd better loosen the pipe at the cylinder so as not to stress that joint. One bolt came out easy the other was hard the whole way. Sure enough the threads on the end of the bolt were filled with aluminum. Previous person that messed with it did not use Never-seize. Anyway, I cleaned up the bolt with a die and chased the threads in the cylinder with a tap. Some threads near the surface are gone. The ones at the bottom appear good and I'm sure there are some "half height" threads in between. Bolt will now thread in by hand the entire way. I certainly don't want to over torque being that the threads have been compromised but i don't want it coming loose either. Might use a longer bolt with a washer. Won't have the "acorn" head but might catch a few more threads.  Embarrassed

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Recommended torque for the exhaust bolts to th
Reply #1 - 07/29/17 at 10:27:13

Not a good moment..
Don't try to tighten it yet.
Let's bounce it around..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DavidV
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/29/17 at 11:00:46

Looking around on this website and some on Google, I keep coming up with 16.5 ft./lbs. Doesn't seem like a lot but, if I ruin what threads I have left, I'm all done.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 07/29/17 at 11:10:44

Then Stop and think

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 07/29/17 at 11:14:54

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=double+ended+stud&qpvt=double+ended+stud...

Before you make a mess.

You could tap to the next size up maybe.
If it's SAE, who cares? Then stick a nut on it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 07/29/17 at 11:16:50

Don't even Try to get to OEM torque.
Use a 1/4" drive ratchet and just gently snug it down. So what if it loosens up in a few months?
Beats stripped threads.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/29/17 at 11:21:52

According to FSM, 13 - 20 ftlbs
with your threads being damaged, I'd go with the lower and check more often.
recommended is 4000 miles or every oil change.

WWW   IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #7 - 07/29/17 at 11:46:58

Try using a bottoming tap to make a few more good threads out of the ones at the bottom. Then use a longer stud or bolt than before.

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
DavidV
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/29/17 at 13:56:27

Thanks, guys. I did in fact use a bottoming tap with the idea of possibly creating an additional thread or two. Of course working in aluminum, it's easy cutting. The only bolt readily available was 5mm longer so I stuck a washer on it. In fact I changed both bolts to keep things looking the same. I thought about retapping to the next size up but, working down on the floor and up behind the forks would mean using a hand drill. Certainly didn't want to break the engine down to put it on the drill press. That's a good suggestion to simply stay at the low end of the torque range and check frequently. My torque wrench is a 1/2" drive wobble handle so I will go out tonight to see if I can find a smaller one of the "clicking" style. Everything is just snugged up and looking good. After I get the torque wrench to final check things, I'm ready to fire it up.Smiley

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 07/30/17 at 08:38:38

Quick, somewhat related question to the thread:
Is it a good idea to reapply anti-seize occasionally to the header threads or does it last through the heat?

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #10 - 07/30/17 at 11:17:56

I always put anti siege on ex fasteners. And the joint between the head pipe and the muffler. Sawed apart enough rusted on mufflers and drilled out enough broken exhaust flange bolts for this lifetime....

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 07/30/17 at 11:29:23

If I had the siezy thread thing going on....I would convert it to a stud and nut, and leave the stud in place.

You can trim the length so that an acorn style nut will fit if you want it to say pretty.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 07/30/17 at 13:38:11

You might try wrapping some of the outer threads of the bolt in the thinnest cheapest Teflon tape you can find ,if it works it may prevent any wobble from vibration and may give the threads in the bottom of the hole a chance to hold better.I like Dave's idea also.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
DavidV
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/31/17 at 08:30:46

Well, I bought the torque wrench and went in with the idea of snugging them down to 13 ft./lbs. I was inching them in, first one then the other back and forth. The good one made it to the 13 ft./lbs. The bad one didn't feel as strong. I know I'm close but i did back off a little on the bad one. It felt like as i turned it it wasn't getting tighter. Anyway, took it for a good road test yesterday. All seems well. No sign of exhaust gas leaking by. Still nice and and tight when you grab the pipe by hand. Gap between the pipe flange and the cylinder is unchanged at essentially zero. I think I may have dodged a bullet.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #14 - 08/02/17 at 15:56:37

Armen wrote on 07/29/17 at 11:46:58:
Try using a bottoming tap to make a few more good threads out of the ones at the bottom. Then use a longer stud or bolt than before.

This is my suggestion as well.  Even though I don't have any problems, I will do this to my bike (whenever) as I think a stainless stud threaded ALL the way in & a good stainless nut is preferable to original setup.  That way, when you want to remove pipe, you only have to remove the nut and if stud ever gets stripped, just replace it.

USE Copper or Stainless NeverSeize.  Do not use the aluminum NeverSeize.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 11:15:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Recommended torque for the exhaust bolts to the cy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.