ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
No gas cars past 2040
07/26/17 at 18:33:13

source, CNN Money

http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/26/autos/countries-that-are-banning-gas-cars-for...

Brittain says electric vehicles have gotten good enough -- good enough that they are banning ALL gas engines past year 2040.   They are not the last European country to do something like this as passing far future resolutions to "feel good" is relatively cheap and easy to do.

Hey, it is easy for politicians to pass a resolution -- it gets a lot stickier when the deadline arrives.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: No gas cars past 2040
Reply #1 - 07/26/17 at 18:48:04

Lots of power stations needed, even if people charge at night. Britain doesn't have much, if any hydro and not a lot of wind, except from politicians and bureaucrats. Coal, oil and nuclear could be looking good, unless your Mr Rossi gets his technology going in a big way.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #2 - 07/27/17 at 09:46:10

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/27/17 at 14:15:47

More
Progress
I won't see..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #4 - 07/27/17 at 15:55:09

Yeah I saw where Volvo announced that they will be closing in 2020 the other day on the news.

When it can carry enough power to give me a 1,200 mile day and recharge in the time it takes to fill up with gas, I'll consider it before laughing and buying something that works.  This from someone who has owned and driven an electric car. I loved the car. Too bad it was completely impractical.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #5 - 07/28/17 at 08:46:25

Mich Cdr II 140/90R & 100/90F, raised seat, windscreen, clubman bars, T-Kat brace, Raptor, HD 64707-08, thumb decomp,
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 07/28/17 at 09:21:35

There are a lot of changes that will have to come about if gasoline cars are going away in the US.

While it is true that a lot of folks drive less than 100 miles a day and could likely use an electric car most of the time - all you need to do is get on the major highways and start looking at license plates to realize how many people are traveling through your area.  Vacationers, salesman, service people, trucks, etc. need to be able to travel hundreds of miles a day the way things are set up in the US.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 07/28/17 at 09:38:02

Will it make my father's Oldsmobile a collector car?

If gasoline isn't produced in quantity, then the few gallons for the mower, weed eater, chainsaw, and the Important People who will have waivers might be Expensive.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 07/28/17 at 09:44:26

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/28/17 at 09:38:02:
If gasoline isn't produced in quantity, then the few gallons for the mower, weed eater, chainsaw, and the Important People who will have waivers might be Expensive.

I believe this is a huge issue for the small farmer.  How can a subsistence farmer afford to buy new equipment?

There are a lot of small farmers still using their Ford 8N tractors - and they don't like E10 fuel...but the EPA doesn't care and still makes it so the farmer can't buy pure gasoline.  A lot of this equipment is used seasonally, and months can pass without the equipment being used - and that is plenty of time for the E10 to corrode their fuel tank and carb.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 07/28/17 at 10:30:27

Legislative sabotage, destroying what wouldn't otherwise die, forcing the purchase of new technology. But, running farmers out of business has never been a problem. I watched it happen when I was a kid. They use subsidies to build up the biggest at the expense of the smallest, and then they have to sell out. It's easier to control a few, instead of a larger part of the population. Big ag sux.
The fuel and the crappy ethanol is Obsoleting equipment that would run for a hundred years with basic maintenance.
Ohhh, but, it's for your own good.

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/30/17 at 07:55:24

Dino oil is a limited commodity. It is going to run out. They don't make it any more. Legislation is unnecessary. Time will dictate the need for change. In the interim, forward thinking entities are planning for the future (Tesla?). Maybe not in my lifetime, but my grandkids may well know a time when gasoline powered cars are museum exhibits only.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 07/30/17 at 17:14:05

oil producingzonesrecharging

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 07/31/17 at 09:05:41

HAPPYDAN wrote on 07/30/17 at 07:55:24:
Dino oil is a limited commodity. It is going to run out. They don't make it any more. Legislation is unnecessary. Time will dictate the need for change. In the interim, forward thinking entities are planning for the future (Tesla?). Maybe not in my lifetime, but my grandkids may well know a time when gasoline powered cars are museum exhibits only.

Did you know that we keep finding brand new, massive deposits of oil underground all the time?

Did you know that some of the oldest Pennsylvania oil fields have actually come up with some moderate amounts of oil again?    New oil from the original pumped dry oil fields ......

We really don't know how "oil" comes about, the theory that oil is old dinosaurs and super rotted plant life is mostly just pure theory.   If it were true, all coal mines would be dripping with oil, and they are actually dry except for a little ground water.

Now that we are making large amounts of Bio Diesel commercially, we understand that pressure degrading plant materials makes certain chains of stuff that ARE NOT FOUND IN A LOT OF RAW CRUDE OIL SOURCES.   We do find these chains found in oils made from the bacterias that are common to many porous rock strata.

Oil may be the result of cubic miles of LIFE that normally naturally lives inside of porous rocks .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 07/31/17 at 10:42:35

An understanding of geology makes believing dead stuff is where oil comes from really difficult.
The oil producing zones are commonly high pressure and many thousands of feet below ground.
What geological events Buried stuff so deep?
I'm supposed to believe it developed a few hundred feet below surface and dripped into a higher pressure area UNDER the rocks that require a huge mass on top of a drill bit spinning for hours and weeks and even months,  yeah, right.
And, do the math.

What percentage of living organisms get trapped so they don't decay like the grass we mow?
How many tons of dead plants and animals would it take to make a ton of oil?
How many tons of oil get shipped every day?
How many years has that been going on?

Critical thinking skills required..

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 07/31/17 at 20:47:20

How much ,gas, oil, coal burning or radioactive waste are we ready to deal with to charge all these smog saving cars? these cars may do more harm to the planet than what your driving now .Converting AC to DC to charge batteries ,involves a 6-25% lose in power due to heat,what do you think we're really saving? And these cars (small) are costing $ 30,000 and up,and how long do the batteries last? What is the replacement cost when they gut your car to change them?(parts and labor)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:40:05

General CategoryThe Cafe › No gas cars past 2040

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.