YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: No gas cars past 2040
Reply #15 - 07/31/17 at 20:53:52

batty, they're just beginning to figure all this sh!t out.
new tech every year... wait till LENR comes out.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #16 - 08/01/17 at 07:46:06

I'm waitin with battied breath.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 08/02/17 at 07:52:08

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/31/17 at 10:42:35:
An understanding of geology makes believing dead stuff is where oil comes from really difficult.
The oil producing zones are commonly high pressure and many thousands of feet below ground.
What geological events Buried stuff so deep?
I'm supposed to believe it developed a few hundred feet below surface and dripped into a higher pressure area UNDER the rocks that require a huge mass on top of a drill bit spinning for hours and weeks and even months,  yeah, right.
And, do the math.

What percentage of living organisms get trapped so they don't decay like the grass we mow?
How many tons of dead plants and animals would it take to make a ton of oil?
How many tons of oil get shipped every day?
How many years has that been going on?

Critical thinking skills required..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 08/02/17 at 07:53:58

batman wrote on 07/31/17 at 20:47:20:
How much ,gas, oil, coal burning or radioactive waste are we ready to deal with to charge all these smog saving cars? these cars may do more harm to the planet than what your driving now .Converting AC to DC to charge batteries ,involves a 6-25% lose in power due to heat,what do you think we're really saving? And these cars (small) are costing $ 30,000 and up,and how long do the batteries last? What is the replacement cost when they gut your car to change them?(parts and labor)

Another Real Questions that need answered post that is being ignored.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 08/02/17 at 17:42:46

Wow..doesn't take much reality to drive people away.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #20 - 08/02/17 at 21:22:59

Lenr,so who's going to ride the first bike power by these? I hope your wearing your lead underwear if they leak.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 08/02/17 at 21:29:11

"cold fusion" means no radiation... but I understand they can generate some gama.  So you'll turn green and hulk out a little bit.   Wink

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #22 - 08/02/17 at 22:01:04

cooling  medium,molten lead ,have some of that run down your leg and you'll be praying for road rash.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 08/02/17 at 22:22:05

it's ok... you can walk.

WWW   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #24 - 08/06/17 at 02:55:02

It just occurred to me that on 27/10/39 I will turn ninety, if I'm still on the planet and not in the dementia/alzheimer ward. so I don't know if I'll worry about the demise of the ic engine in vehicles.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 08/06/17 at 03:48:25

If I were gonna make a steam sickle, it would have two cylinders (each acting 180 out of phase to the other so the exhaust of stroke A could be utilized by cylinder B as a lower power "free" return power stroke for best efficiency.

A fancy sports engine could have the piston be high pressure driven both ways up and down the  length of the cylinder (these were called "full power double acting" steam engines).   Or since we got computers running the show, heavy throttle twist could call up the beast mode and cruising could call up low dump pressure return stroke mode.

Steam would normally be  high pressure on primary cylinder and low pressure on the secondary cylinder.   On the full power double acting sports bike engines this would be sorta complex to change up and keep synced --- this mode change thing would likely not be needed for an efficient cruiser type motorcycle.

RPMs would be very low as you are full power stroking only every other rotation of the rear wheel.   spray....  blast of high pressure steam..... exhaust goes to the other cylinder's power stroke (then goes out to a condenser radiator to recover the water) ....  spray new water mist for a new blast of high pressure steam and do it all again.

LENR steam generation chamber would be insulated for both high temperature/pressure and for radiation.  Tungsten comes to mind as a good candidate for the steam chamber as radiation control is built in.  A multi layer vacuum thermos bottle type approach for the insulation might be very useable as well as light and it works good even if it is thin relatively speaking.

Steam would only exist in the white hot chunk of tungsten steam generator when the water injector sprayed a blast of water mist into the chamber and flashed it into steam.

Keeping up with things is a lot easier than in an IC engine as the RPM is really very low (0 to 1,400 rear wheel rpms means zero to 100mph).    Our Savage idles at about these speeds.

What folks forget about steam is from the very first revolution it is at FULL Torque and that it does not have to be high RPM to give great acceleration to a light motorcycle.  

No transmission is needed ...... just a engage/disengage one way sprag system and some brakes.   A computer would control the water mist injector and the high pressure steam would only exist right when it entered into the high pressure cylinder itself.

« Last Edit: 08/08/17 at 06:14:07 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #26 - 08/06/17 at 12:50:59

I believe a multi cylinder 2 stroke motor could be converted to use as a steam engine,and would not involve the use of double acting pistons ,It would provide a higher rpm and could be adapted to a muliti speed trans for a bit better performance.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #27 - 08/06/17 at 13:42:34

I work for a airplane builder.
I worked on the plane that had a battery mishap.
This battery was not even of the size, and magnitude, it will take to power that which a fossil fuel does presently.
It was only used to start a motor and to maintain electronics with the APU off, or the mains.
You saw what happened to just one battery cell failing due to contamination....

This is purely agenda driven without much thought, only feelings, multipled by 10 fold, by the scientific, and political astute, elites.....

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
LockeClone
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 08/08/17 at 02:38:51

batman wrote on 07/31/17 at 20:47:20:
How much ,gas, oil, coal burning or radioactive waste are we ready to deal with to charge all these smog saving cars? these cars may do more harm to the planet than what your driving now .Converting AC to DC to charge batteries ,involves a 6-25% lose in power due to heat,what do you think we're really saving? And these cars (small) are costing $ 30,000 and up,and how long do the batteries last? What is the replacement cost when they gut your car to change them?(parts and labor)

I don't think anybody addressed this. What you're referring to is two things:

1. The resources needed to build the vehicle and 2. the wheel-to-wheel energy cost.

First, the resources needed to build the vehicle: I'm not sure why many people believe that building an electric car is any more damaging to the environment. It has many of the same processes and components of your average car. I suppose people imagine the battery as being extra-harmful to the environment... Well, we recycle lead-acid batteries at a rate of 98% in this country and the cobalt and lithium sulfide in lithium batteries is less poisonous yet more valuable, so it's not a stretch to imagine these batteries being recycled at a similar or higher rate.

And we should start seeing solid-state batteries popping up in the next decade or so which promise to be better in almost every way and contain no liquid.

An EV is about the same size and weight as an IC car... They're probably about equivalent in their resource consumption... I could be wrong. I had trouble finding any good publication that wasn't political.

The second thing you're referring to is know as "wheel-to-wheel" fuel cost. It is in this category where you are quite wrong about EV's taking anywhere near the energy to go a mile when compared to IC vehicles.

You mentioned losses in heat when converting from AC to DC. True enough. Also the energy could be generated by coal. True enough. So if we put 100 units of energy into a coal plant, we generate 40 (40%) units transfer 30 (75%) to our battery and end up with about 25(heat and lead-foot) units going into locomotion. So our back-of-the-napkin wheel-to-wheel efficiency for our EV is 25%

But lets do the same thing for an IC car. an IC engine is only about 20% efficient. Ouch. So IC already loses and we haven't even started with Wheel-to-wheel. We haven't extracted the oil, refined the gas (88% efficient), or transported it to a gas station. So yes, IC loses big on CO2 emissions. Add up the fact that power is increasingly generated by multiple methods and IC loses even more.

So no. saying that EVs are no cleaner than IC vehicles is generally not true. It you are told so you are either being lied to or the person doing the telling has not thought it through.

No, it's not the savior of the environment alone, but IC has about 100 years of massive R&D that EV does not. With increased market penetration, EV has a lot of room to grow while IC is pretty refined already. "Clean energy" (a silly term) is also creating more jobs each year since 2013 than coal and gas combined, so the sentiment of saving jobs by shunning EVs and clean energy is pretty silly.

We're in the early stages. If you want a torque monster and you want to be an early-adopter to some tech that has less of an impact on the environment and you can afford a new car, you can't do much better than buying an EV. If you don't want one, you're not a jerk because of it, but it is the future and it is "good" in the sense of our economy and environment. So cool it with the mis-information and do the math.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #29 - 08/08/17 at 03:20:46

Google Roper Steam Motorcycle and also Camille Jenatzy.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:27:29

General CategoryThe Cafe › No gas cars past 2040

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.