Send Topic Print
Night riding (Read 177 times)
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Night riding
07/26/17 at 07:59:46

It's Texas.  It's hot... who's into night riding these days?  About the only way I can ride without dying from the heat. Any tips other than we have terrible lights?   Huh

Thanks,
Be well.
Wink

Mich Cdr II 140/90R & 100/90F, raised seat, windscreen, clubman bars, T-Kat brace, Raptor, HD 64707-08, thumb decomp,
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Night riding
Reply #1 - 07/26/17 at 08:24:38

I spent a few nights running the loop and playing on the cloverleaves, before the idea of helmets and gloves and the safety gear hit me. It was so hot that I'd get off, stand around a few minutes and I'd start getting hotter and hotter, till I had to ride some more. Had to slowly slow down to get it to stop. Odessa, the only good turns were around a refinery and the loop to interstate. I was surprised at how many people I met, just riding, at two or three in the morning. Met a man with his teen daughter.
Everybody rode unprotected, generally, helmets were common, jackets? Naaaah..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #2 - 07/26/17 at 09:47:56

Hey there Wakosama. I don't ride much at night primarily because I work during the day and second most important, there are too many deer and other wild animals running across streets at night in this area. Shocked

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/26/17 at 10:24:14

Day time riding here is over 100°, 70° in the morning.
I have a mesh jacket which is better than not wearing anything as it protects from the sun.
full ventilation and armor where necessary.

WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 07/26/17 at 12:25:10

verslagen1 wrote on 07/26/17 at 10:24:14:
Day time riding here is over 100°, 70° in the morning.
I have a mesh jacket which is better than not wearing anything as it protects from the sun.
full ventilation and armor where necessary.

Mesh pants too.  Feel the breeze blowing up yer kilt...

I try to start riding as soon as the sun comes up and be home by 1pm at the latest.    
Deer.. I really really really hate deer.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 07/26/17 at 18:40:11

This time of year I don't ride in the dark much - unless I am on a group ride and MM keeps me out late.

It stays light until 9 PM - so I am not generally out that late until the fall comes, and I am trying to get riding done before winter comes.  I ride much slower after dark...and watch for deer.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #6 - 07/27/17 at 13:20:45

Deer sausage. How to do feel about deer sausage, Neal? Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #7 - 07/27/17 at 16:08:40

It seems that pretty much the only riding I get to do these days is after dark.

I ride slower due to the animal threat.

I wish somehow motorcycle manufacturers could be required to install actual useable headlights on their products. My old Hondas that I had back in the 70's and 80's had 25/35w sealed beams and you could really light up the road with them.  Never had any trouble seeing.  My little Ninja has a great headlight. My Savage...not so much. I get a sort of light area around the front of the bike and that's it. I've had mopeds with much better headlights. /rant

It's also cooler and more comfortable at this time of year to ride at night. Even if you do find a few bugs.

Took a girl from the Waffle House for a ride the other night.  She asked me if it was sprinkling rain...not a cloud in the sky... told her no, it's bugs.   I don't know how to write that EEOOOOOuuuu sound that she made. Then she asked me to take her back.

Tip:  girls that don't ride don't know what to expect and make funny noises when they realize they are splatting bugs going down the road.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #8 - 07/30/17 at 10:53:09

Well that's a joke... all reflective now too.   Undecided

20170730_101616.jpg

Mich Cdr II 140/90R & 100/90F, raised seat, windscreen, clubman bars, T-Kat brace, Raptor, HD 64707-08, thumb decomp,
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 07/30/17 at 11:07:20

wakosama wrote on 07/30/17 at 10:53:09:
Well that's a joke... all reflective now too.   Undecided

I see you have a dark sense of humor   Huh

WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #10 - 07/30/17 at 11:12:32

springman wrote on 07/27/17 at 13:20:45:
Deer sausage. How to do feel about deer sausage, Neal? Grin

Don't really care for that either!!

I am 2-0 with close encounters of the deer kind.   I know those monsters are out there saying "We need to even the score.."

They tried today.  Lots of 'em out there this morning.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #11 - 07/30/17 at 16:32:54

Too many kangaroos and echidnas for night time thrashing around here. Summer, I usually go for a super early instead. Into the hills for breakfast by 8, home by 10 before it gets too hot. A lot of crew here do the same.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #12 - 07/30/17 at 17:21:21

I actually went for a short night ride last night. I do not know what the temperature was last night, but I can tell you that it was 102 F at 5:30 pm. Even with the sun down I was soaked in sweat after the 15 minute ride.

I have not had a close encounter of the deer kind and I hope I never do. I see a lot of deer around here mainly in the morning on the way to work.

I have had a close encounter of the kangaroo kind in Australia many years ago. It was very early one morning, I do not remember where in Australia I was but I had a meeting scheduled somewhere in the boonies at around 8:30 or so in the morning. I remember I left the motel at around 6 a.m.  and I was pretty much the only one on the road. I got to where I was driving (yes a car) a bit faster than the posted limit as I seemed to be the only one on the road. At some point as I am driving I can see way ahead of me what appears to be a man on the side of the road. As I get closer I can see it is a kangaroo and being a "yank" of course I am all excited and thinking how neat this is. Well all this time that stupid kangaroo has just been standing there like he is going to be there forever. Well, he wasn't there forever. All of a sudden that blasted kangaroo hops across the road. I slam my brakes, do a full 360 and come to a stop in the middle of the road. How I managed to avoid that stupid animal I do not know, but I did. I sat there for what seemed a long time just trying to get my heart to slow down. I was too stunned to even curse that dang animal. I must admit though, I did slow down to posted limits, at least for the rest of the day.

Oh yeah, my pants were not soiled in any way, which was actually a surprise to me! Grin

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #13 - 07/30/17 at 18:22:11

during the daytime they're rarely a problem, they sleep mind their own business. From dusk til dawn, though, a lot of people and especially motorcyclists will avoid country roads when they can. I guess deer are the same. we are beginning to have problems with deer which have bred from deer farm escapees.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 07/31/17 at 06:44:14

Daytime deer can be a problem as well!  (Looks like the rider and the deer both dodged in the same direction).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:26:15

General CategoryThe Cafe › Night riding

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.