Send Topic Print
Top speed observations (Read 587 times)
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Top speed observations
07/25/17 at 07:45:20

I finally got all three of my bikes in the same spot this morning and did some top-speed runs.

1995 modified - raptor petcock/straight pipe (maybe, its not as loud as the other straight pipe) has had less and less performance.  Topped out at 58 today.

1995 all stock except raptor petcock - topped out at 71

1995 with stock pipe bolted on, then a run with a straight pipe. - topped out at 72 with exhaust, 70 with straight pipe.

I was informed that a stock savage will do 80-90 but it looks like every one I have is definitely slower than that.  

Speeds recorded on GPS and tripod mounted radar.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Top speed observations
Reply #1 - 07/25/17 at 08:06:57

Yeah, that doesn't sound right. Is a 400lb gorilla driving the bike?

I have never ridden mine at top speed. I do know I have pushed it as far as about 80mph last year and that definitely wasn't all she had, but it was all I was brave enough to do.

With the KAW front pulley, we topped out at about 75mph this weekend on the larger roads and I was usually in 4th gear doing that! No telling what it'll to in 5th on a flat road but I'd be willing to bet I could hit 90mph easy if I wasn't too chicken.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/25/17 at 08:07:45

If you're going to be scientific about it,
Elevation, temperature and humidity affect the carburetion.
Different years had different jetting to accommodate the EPA, and I don't know what years had what jets.
Knowing what the wind is doing matters,
How many square inches of frontal area Your body is making it work to drag you through the ocean of air, how you ride matters. The buckhorns invite us to catch a ton of air, the drag bars hold us lower and make getting small easier.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/25/17 at 08:18:54

No idea what the jets are, I don't work on them but I can have someone look into it.

The slowest bike has drag bars, but it obviously has other problems.   The rest are buckhorns.  There was pretty much no wind this morning and I weigh 160lbs.  My heaviest driver is 170, lightest 125lbs, there really isn't much difference in speed based off the rider from what I know.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/25/17 at 08:32:09

80 to 88 depending on day... uphill, stock pipe/ drilled out stock pipe/ supertrapp. stock filter/K&N. re-jetted of course.  Windshield/sportshield/cut sportshield/flyshield.

And I ain't no light weight.

lets not talk about beast.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 07/25/17 at 08:32:52

All else being equal, whatever rider is on a drag bar setup should be faster than the same rider on buckhorn bars.

Miles add up, cam chain wears, the cam timing lags.
If you can find someone who has a Dyna you might have a way to test them AND tune them out right.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 07/25/17 at 09:26:50

I know you or someone likes to tinker with your bikes, so I don't know the exact gearing or tire sizes for the bikes, but it would appear that your engines only make between 4,000 and 4,500 rpm. Something is very wrong. Either you are in the 300+ pound club or your mechanic doesn't know how to jet a carburetor.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/25/17 at 10:23:28

I'm not sure what the issue is, on the very slow bike it has been deteriorating for a while, I have a 150/90 tire.

The other two are stock and I haven't had anything done to them except one had the exhaust pulled off for this mornings ride.  If it weren't for this forum I'd assume these bikes run 75 top speed and weren't intended for highways.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #8 - 07/25/17 at 10:46:54

A well tuned bike should be able to reach 5,000 to almost 5,500 rpm. This would yield a top end in the high 80's.

What was the air temp on this day?
What is the elevation?
What are you running for an air filter? OEM or modified. Is the filter clean?
How much do you weigh?
An open pipe will not make enough horsepower. Take the quietest pipe and put it on the faster bike to see if it helps
With stock jetting and a modified pipe, a result in the mid 70's doesn't surprise me.
Due to the taller gearing, a wheezing engine will have trouble turning a tire with a larger circumference. You may find a faster top speed in 4th gear.

I'd suggest that the time has come for you to learn some carb maintenance.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/25/17 at 11:49:08

I doubt my bike will go much over 80mph with my 250lb, 6'3" fat ass on it.  I still think it's jetted rich, but haven't had time to tune it much.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 07/25/17 at 12:01:30

circumference. You may find a faster top speed in 4th gear.

That's something to look at.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #11 - 07/25/17 at 18:24:23

I'm 200 lb… jets are 152…5 / 50 … /air box cover removed / 12 inch shorty muffler w/home made baffle and the Kawasaki front pully .  
I cought  myself cruising at a GPS 87mph on the interstate a couple weeks back ... But I promptly slowed down to 75mph without getting into trouble.

I believe , the low pressure at the rear of the muffler/exhaust system and helping the motor breath makes a lot of difference.  I've only got 70,000 miles on these motors and don't know everything about them .  help them breath all ya can ! 😀

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 07/25/17 at 19:05:42

ohiomoto wrote on 07/25/17 at 11:49:08:
I doubt my bike will go much over 80mph with my 250lb, 6'3" fat ass on it.  I still think it's jetted rich, but haven't had time to tune it much.

same wt. but only 6'

just lean a little bit.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/25/17 at 20:12:39

Another interesting thing I noticed was that the bike with the braided metal exhaust straight pipe was nowhere near as loud as the one with the muffler removed.

I figured both would be similarly loud.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #14 - 07/26/17 at 09:56:47

Well, my S40 with the Kawi pulley up front has a top speed in excess of 80mph. Coming back home from Lancer's the speed limit for a good while was 75 mph and at times I was cruising at just under and indicated 80 mph which if I understand Dave correctly, it means I was actually going close to 88 mph because the Kawi pulley and larger back tire cause and approximate 10% error. With myself and gear I estimate bike was loaded with 250-270 lbs. and not I was not going flat out.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:19:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › Top speed observations

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.