stalls and surgres (Read 209 times)
Librandi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bradenton, Fl
stalls and surgres
07/24/17 at 13:31:52

I have a 2000 ls650 stock across the board. At the end of last summer she died on me and wouldn't start up.  It just happened that I was two blocks from a local shop and I pushed it there to have them look at it.  The cleaned the carb and it ran for a week ok.  Now it will not stay at idle and when I ride when I am at about 1/4 throttle to maintain speed the RPMs will keep dropping and then kick back up.
So far I have pulled the carb and cleaned and rebuilt it with a kit KS-0531 jets are 70 & 130. found an intake leak and replaced the hose and clamps no more leak.  There is an exhaust leak.
there is a thick black exhaust leak when I hit the throttle.  I still use the original petcock and ran the checks on it that are listed on this site. Battery is good.  new spark plug when I redid the carb along with a new fuel filter. my elevation is most the time at sea level sometimes below it if it rains too much.   Embarrassed

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Re: stalls and surgres
Reply #1 - 07/24/17 at 13:48:56

try running petcock on PRIme for a while

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/24/17 at 13:51:32

Librandi wrote on 07/24/17 at 13:31:52:
 Now it will not stay at idle and when I ride when I am at about 1/4 throttle to maintain speed the RPMs will keep dropping and then kick back up.

Sounds like you need to adjust the white spacer.  You can replace with 3 #4 washers

Quote:
So far I have pulled the carb and cleaned and rebuilt it with a kit KS-0531 jets are 70 & 130.

I'm unfamiliar with K&S jet numbers.  If they are the same as Mikuni's then they are way off.

I would recommend you get a jet set from lancer.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 07/24/17 at 20:27:32

The KS-0531 kit  looks silly to me ,they say it's for the LS-650 from 86 to 2010 . the 86-87 carb had a larger throttle plate,and ran 47.5 pilot/155main jets(stock) ,your bike should have had 52.5pilot/145 main, (stock) The 70 pilot is WAY to rich at idle and the smoke your seeing is unburnt fuel. even at sea level you shouldn't be running more than a 55 pilot, and a main jet in the 152.5/ 155 range. the needle jet ,jet needle were also different in these carbs ,you should check to make sure the needle jet you installed(new) is straight ,not tapered .You should check your petcock as that could also be a place where you are getting to much fuel.( if there's a hole in the rubber diaphragm fuel will be sucked down the vacuum line).

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Librandi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bradenton, Fl
Reply #4 - 08/08/17 at 09:16:36

rejetted and still acted wonky.  So I started from scratch.  and the first thing I re checked is the petcock and crud it is leaking.  so I received my raptor today and will switch it out and see if I can get it to run. thanks for the support and fingers crossed.

IP Logged
Librandi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bradenton, Fl
Reply #5 - 08/09/17 at 16:51:24

Well put a new spark plug in to boot and got it to run almost for 1/2 a second.  Now I am smelling gas. I reset the air mix screw to three turns. choked it and nada.  I am thinking that its flooding out so??? Pull the carb and check the float bowl. make sure everything is working in there? and since its out may as well run in through the cleaning process again.  Any suggestions?

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #6 - 08/09/17 at 17:30:47

The petcock has a fuel filter, I'd recommend removing the extra one

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 08/09/17 at 18:21:21

Librandi wrote on 08/09/17 at 16:51:24:
Well put a new spark plug in to boot and got it to run almost for 1/2 a second.  Now I am smelling gas. I reset the air mix screw to three turns. choked it and nada.  I am thinking that its flooding out so??? Pull the carb and check the float bowl. make sure everything is working in there? and since its out may as well run in through the cleaning process again.  Any suggestions?

smelling gas=flooded, don't coke it, start with 1 1/2 turns, WFO throttle, when it sounds like it's trying, release the throttle and start normal.

DON'T HOLD THE START BUTTON FOR MORE THAN 30 seconds, then give 15 minutes to cool off.

If you can't get it going, put in a new plug.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/09/17 at 19:23:19

Check air filter

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 08/09/17 at 22:45:38

check for a high oil level(gas in your oil?)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Librandi
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bradenton, Fl
Reply #10 - 08/11/17 at 08:56:42

Update.  
1. Inline filter is now gone.
2. Air filter. had a little gas.
3. Engine oil-- filled to the brim with gas.
That gas had to go somewhere and gravity says the answer is DOWN.
So drained it cleaned it and filled it with oil.  
Two things happened:  It now starts and idles smoothly AND I fricken crushed the o-ring one the oil filter lid.  I hate doing dumm things.  So now I need to order a new o-ring.  
BTW it ended up that I had to set the air mix needle to 2 1/4 turns.

Thanks for the support everyone.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 08/11/17 at 09:42:21

A dab of grease will help keep an o-ring in the groove.
I don't do it, I seat the cap with fingertips, and feel for it going down evenly.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #12 - 08/11/17 at 12:20:28

Librandi wrote on 08/11/17 at 08:56:42:
3. Engine oil-- filled to the brim with gas.

Time for a Raptor Petclock. Wink

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #13 - 08/11/17 at 14:27:07

oil in the gas, doesn't that mean the float is sticking open too?

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #14 - 08/11/17 at 14:56:06

ero4444 wrote on 08/11/17 at 14:27:07:
oil in the gas, doesn't that mean the float is sticking open too?

You are correct, it could.  But why temp fate with the factory petclock that is infamous for sucking fuel through the vacuum port.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 11:25:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › stalls and surgres

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.