Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Trip to Suches GA?
Reply #45 - 08/14/17 at 12:48:40

It will definitely be a new experience for Deb.  She can get motion sickness easily - I will have to ride at a calm pace and avoid cornering in a way that makes me grin!  The tires on the Honda are also the original equipment 2010 model year tires the bike was sold with (probably made in 2009).....so they are old and it will be time to replace them during the downtime this winter - so I will not be getting very adventurous on this trip.

However it will be a good time to scout out the roads in the area......Oldfeller and I somehow missed the good roads when we were in the area last summer.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #46 - 08/14/17 at 14:11:15

Yes, we saw NO good roads on that trip at all, and we spent some time looking for them too.

We ran all the roads your contact referenced for you and we only saw a bunch of tar snakes running across some so-so roads.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #47 - 08/15/17 at 04:35:34

Oldfeller:

Wile riding the area I noticed that most the roads were in the open valley, and there were hills on both sides - it looked like there should be some good roads if you had the time to find them.

On the KSL trip last month, MMRanch, Stewmills and I ended up in North Georgia when we were trying to dodge the Saturday afternoon rain.  We were on a very twisty portion of 129 and beginning our trip back to the KSL, and we stopped at a historic site and talked to a young fellow who was driving a hopped up Miata and was with a group of Rice Rockets.  He told us the 129, Wolf Pen Gap, 60 route was his favorite loop, and he lives in the area and has explored them all.  I do believe it is worth looking into.....it may not be enough to satisfy us for a long stay - but might be worth a long day trip.

The weather forecast for this weekend is the typical weather pattern for this time of year.  The fog burns off early, the weather is nice until the afternoon clouds build, and spotty showers begin to develop.  The rain amounts forecast for each day are between 0.04 - 0.08 inches....definitely not a rain out.  My friend who has been riding in the area for year says they get out early and ride, and then come back to the campground to relax as the showers build.....then when the storms settle down in the evening they go back out and find a place to eat and listen to some music.  Seems like a good plan.....except I have a hard time being so close to the nice mountains roads and not riding in the afternoon!  (I am sure my wife will vote for a bit less riding time on this trip).  

SuchesWeather.jpg

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #48 - 08/16/17 at 13:04:07

I had a lady a the Council meeting last night tell me that they are expecting millions of people to come to the path of the coming eclipse.  I did a search and I read an article that said some hotels have been booked up for a year, that most people will come a day or two ahead of time, that they expect big crowds in small towns, and even fuel shortages.

Deb and I are leaving tomorrow morning for Suches, and we will be sure to buy gas before we park our car in the campground.  We will be leaving on Sunday when there is still more than 24 hour before the eclipse....so hopefully we won't get caught up in the craziness!

Eclipse_001.jpg

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #49 - 08/16/17 at 14:04:40

GA is on the other side of the line to you.
So you will see traffic until you cross it.

Personally, I'm traveling 13 hrs to see it.
I would expect that the closer you get to the line, the more traffic you'll see.
I would expect more traffic from noon on too.
So the closer you can cross the line by noon the better.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #50 - 08/16/17 at 14:11:06

I have a meeting on Monday that I can't skip...so we are coming home a day before the eclipse.  We may see the traffic from those that come to the party early - hopefully they don't like driving on the curvy roads around north GA!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #51 - 08/18/17 at 04:30:46

My wife and I arrived last night about 6:15 PM.  The owner Bill was still on the porch of the restaurant and welcomed us.  The campground is very nice and shady, with a nice stream running along side.  The shower house has 5 showers, a lot of room, and it is very clean.  My wife really likes the campground, and last night there was 1 other camper on a Honda Silverwing and another fellow came later and is in a cabin, he is riding a BMW R1100S that is very fun looking!  We set up camp, unloaded the bike and went looking for something to eat.  We had to go about 11  very twisty miles to find a Chik-Filet.  On the way back it was very dark and we stopped at an overlook where the Appalachian Trail crosses 60, and the sky was brilliant!  It has been a long time since I was able to see so many stars at once.  As we pulled into the campground and got off the bike I was surprised to see just as many stars....and a falling star!

It is about 7:30 AM right now and the sky is about half blue and half clouds.  Bill said the cabins are all booked for tonight and the rest of the weekend - so I expect we will get a lot of company tonight.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #52 - 08/18/17 at 09:06:54

You must have made a wrong turn somewhere !     It seems you ended up in Heaven ...  Smiley

If I get the Guzzi all luggage'd up we'll join ya next time .  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #53 - 08/18/17 at 15:42:40

We are sitting at the lodge waiting to eat dinner.  The weather was nice all day long, and the roads were great.  The roads are in good shape, the traffic today was very light, and we found curves that suited the Honda and riding double very well.  We at lunch at the CHOPS at the south end of Lake Burton, it was really nice eating on a second floor deck and looking out over the lake.

My wife is holding up really well - I stopped riding at 6 and she was surprised we were stopping so soon.  I could have ridden a while longer - but I didn't want to wear her out on the first day!

Tomorrow we are going to ride down to the Ocowee to watch the folks in the kayaks and rafts.....seems they can turn the water on/off and the flow was really low on Thursday evening when we drove in - we were told it will be running fast on Saturday after 11 AM.  (Seems a bit weird that they can turn a river on/off).

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #54 - 08/20/17 at 05:17:50

Deb and I are packing up and getting ready to head home.  We had a great day of riding yesterday - the weather had been perfect.  Yesterday we rode down and watched the rafters and kayaks on the Ocoee river - and sure enough there was water in the river this time.  They turn the water on between 8 AM and 4:30 PM on the weekends.

It is time for us to go home......there is no tread left on the back tire!  I thought I could get the rest of the summer with it - we wore the darn thing out in just a couple of days.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #55 - 08/20/17 at 14:53:19

So how many miles did it do altogether , and what kind was it ? 😐

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #56 - 08/21/17 at 05:40:09

We road about 150 miles each day - with this being my wife's first weekend adventure I didn't want to abuse her and make her hate these trips.  We didn't get on the road until about 9AM, and we returned home before 6 PM so we could enjoy the wonderful meals at Two Wheels of Suches.  They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner on the weekends, and the food is so good that local folks drive their cars for the meals - it is the best restaurant in the area.

Tinypic is being finicky this morning......here is an image using Cubeupload.

This is what my tire looks like - the bike is on the trailer ready to go home.  The tire has just a bit over 5,000 miles on it.  The front tire looks much better and has an even tread across the tire - but it just starting to hit the wear bars and will be replaced as it is 7 years old.

This is the rubber dust on the wheel after 2 days of riding, the swing arm and license plate also had a black haze of rubber dust.

« Last Edit: 08/21/17 at 10:10:22 by Dave »  

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #57 - 08/21/17 at 16:40:21

Sounds like you had a good time. Maybe you'll be able to convince her to go on some more outings.

Can't get my wife to get on anything with 2 wheels.  She never even learned how to ride a bicycle.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #58 - 08/21/17 at 16:46:17

I have an idea what kinda riding wore that tire like that. I hope you didn't show your wife wadda wild man you really are.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #59 - 08/22/17 at 02:54:22

Hot sun heated pavement can do that to a tire in just a weekend, especially when the tire gets old.

I left early on one mountain trip and limped home on a tire that was getting ready to show cord because of exactly that .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:34:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › Trip to Suches GA?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.