Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Trip to Suches GA?
Reply #30 - 08/02/17 at 13:30:12

Since MM's event is Sept. 8, 9 & 10 - I likely can't do a second get away in that month.

If MM or nobody else wants to go....I might see if the wife is up for a trip on the Honda - we can explore the Suches area riding double!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #31 - 08/02/17 at 14:30:03

We should plan to do the Gauntlet! Heck, we already sis maybe 1/3 of it.

Click for map
http://www.gauntletga.com/downloads/Gauntlet-2015.pdf

Decent video of Wolf Pen Gap. Things start looking familiar about the 7:45 mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI5n2RxjMJ8

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #32 - 08/02/17 at 15:07:02

Dave , looks like I'm going to Pa. , ... but If I get back in time !  Roll Eyes

The Wife needs an outing and might find some stuff to do in Pa.  while we are there !    So , I'm not sure when we'll go but , I an sure it will be in the next two weeks !  Grin

I think the Guzzi will be more comfortable for the passenger than the Harley , so maybe some time We can meet Ya'll  for  a weekend couple's ride.     Huh    The kind of ride the CMA bunch likes ???  

Already looking at luggage and back-rest options ...

v7_penn.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #33 - 08/03/17 at 03:57:05

I talked to Deb last night....and she was excited about the idea of going to Suches.  I am sure I will have to stop more often....and likely the stops will be at cutesy stores instead of BBQ shacks!

She has to be in town on the 12th....so we will have to go the 17th - 19th or the 24th - 25th.  I believe we will just watch the weather and then pick a weekend that looks dry.

Stew:  That looks like a good loop ride - maybe perfect for a Ninja outing!

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #34 - 08/03/17 at 15:29:01

I am definitely interested - but NOT on anything going on in those tents except sleeping.

If I can make it, I will let you know.  Also at that time I will get what you guys suggest I might need to bring along.

Also, I am an OLD geezer, and those who ride from corner to corner like madmen, usually don't like to ride with me!  I'm slow - I just like to ride sensibly and enjoy!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #35 - 08/03/17 at 16:28:23

Buckeye

I limit my speed between corners too .    But , I don't necessarily slow for the corners ... but I'm easy enough to catch-up with on the straits.    
Enjoying the ride at an enjoyable pace is why we brought the big bikes last time  .     Fact is : my floor-boards on my Savage drag and move up just a little before the mounting (solid) stud touches down ... then the rear wheel comes off the ground and the bike pitches sideways a foot or two , then the wheel touches down again   , and  Repeats !   Embarrassed  till I slow it down a little ... Very unnerving it is !  
You should be able to keep up with me easily .  Tongue

Yea , the floorboards are mounted about a big inch below the original foot-pegs.
But  its really nice on the super-slab (w/Kawasaki pulley).
« Last Edit: 08/15/17 at 07:22:26 by MMRanch »  

2017_Savage_001.jpg

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #36 - 08/03/17 at 18:26:48

Come on, Piedmont,  Lancer just used to threaten to shoot them if they went to sleepwalking on him.

Me, I just use my axe to trim their toenails ..... 'cept I can't see that well in the dark and sometimes tend to take off a bit more than I had planned.   <chunk> Shocked    MM, get him to show you all his toes and fingers ..... got him several times jest by accident.

Now you gotta get into the spirit of the thing, we ain't really trying to get cuddly wid ya .....  Step on you a little bit, mebbe, but that's by accident.

MM is the only one that ever got kissed on the mouth, and that was by Lilly, Dave's canine god daughter.    Woke him right up, it did.

Following MM closely through tight curves has gotten more folks dinged than any other given reason, he is PLUMB DECEPTIVE in his big 'ol swoopy curve patterns.   Dave is too, but he never has to lean over and he rides upright through stuff everybody else needs to lean way over to get through.

Grin    Grin    Grin

You are picking a good trip to go on, because the wives are coming on this one and EVERYBODY will have to behave .....

I won't be going on this one as that "behave stuff" is against my basic nature ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #37 - 08/03/17 at 18:43:37

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 08/03/17 at 15:29:01:
Also, I am an OLD geezer, and those who ride from corner to corner like madmen, usually don't like to ride with me!  I'm slow - I just like to ride sensibly and enjoy!

You should come! Done worry about anything that's "worrying" you. My first trip I was feeling like I was meeting folks from a farmersonly.com and having to sleep in a tent with them on the first date. Either I slept really hard or no one touched me while I was sleeping.

As far as riding, I was certainly the novice of the group. I never once felt like I was the slow guy. MM and Dave would occasionally zoom off but would be looking out for me just down the road, primarily on the Dragon. Most of the other riding is smooth cruising as a team and all around good riding.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #38 - 08/03/17 at 20:07:26

I'm staying relatively close to the speed limit ... I like having my driving license .  Wink

No need for that Crazy speed stuff , but I'm still making the road as  fun as reasonable .    Cool

Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #39 - 08/04/17 at 03:38:50

There are several issue that come up when you speed down the straights:  1)  You could get a ticket.  2)  You might come into the curve too fast: 3) You catch up to that slow RV, SUV, Harley faster and then you have to ride slow on the straights and even slower in the corners.

We are all watching the speed limits on the straight - we do have to pass slow cars on the double yellow lines occasionally when they just won't pull over and let you pass.....there are plenty of places where even a 30 HP bike can pass a slow car safely.

If you ride a lot slower than the group.........I may turn around and ride the curves the other way until I see you.....then turn around and ride the curves again!  Most times we are not in a hurry to get anywhere.....riding the curves is why we choose to ride in the area.

And......with my wife on the back this trip I will definitely be slowing down a bit (she gets motion sickness easily).  The Honda is not nearly as nimble as my Savage, and the tires are 7 years old (I will replace them this winter).

The plan for my wife and I is to drive down on Thursday August 17th, and return home on Sunday August 20th.  If the weather turns bad for that weekend we will postpone the trip to the following weekend.  If both weekends are bad....we aren't going.

We will be camping at the Two Wheels of Suches- there is no reservation required for camping.
http://twowheelsofsuches.com/

The weather is looking good for the 17th-20th - so far.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/suches-ga/30572/month/2153437?monyr=8/01/2017

« Last Edit: 08/11/17 at 04:40:46 by Dave »  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #40 - 08/04/17 at 07:34:18

Stew..

Either I slept really hard or no one touched me while I was sleeping.

The way I heard it, you slept Hard,REALLY hard..
And that's A Good Thing, because now you don't have those memories that would send you to counseling.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #41 - 08/04/17 at 07:56:42

You know...MM and Dave were so nice and kept going and making me drinks behind the bar.  Hmmmmm...... Huh

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #42 - 08/07/17 at 02:07:38

Nice theory, except neither of them drink .....

(mebbe a wine cooler for Dave, but that's all)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #43 - 08/14/17 at 04:21:18

My wife and I are leaving early Thursday morning for this trip (once again I have a Wednesday night City Council meeting and I know better than to drag her to the meeting.....then spend 8 hours driving to Suches and arriving at 3 AM).

I anticipate we will arrive around 4-6PM and set up camp and unload the bike from the trailer.

The weather appears to be about as good as can be expected this time of year.  The fog will burn off in the morning, the clouds will start to build after lunch - and then spotty showers will show up in the afternoon and go away in the evening.  With some creative riding maybe we can avoid getting wet?

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/suches-ga/30572/month/2153437?monyr=8/01/2017

We will be camping at the Two Wheels of Suches.  If anyone wants to come up and ride......let me know and we will set up a place to meet.  I will have my phone with me - send me a PM if you want my phone number.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #44 - 08/14/17 at 12:07:22

I'd go if I could Dave , the wife has too much other stuff going on 😕

Take pictures to make us all drull 😉

Don't scare Deb , hopefully me and Marcia can join y'all next time 😉

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:24:52

General CategoryThe Cafe › Trip to Suches GA?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.