Trip to Suches GA? (Read 543 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Trip to Suches GA?
Reply #15 - 07/31/17 at 21:21:53

BEAST ... Bites anybody he wants too !    If Beast was geared like Dave's Beauty then he might not have a measurable top-end ?  Huh

« Last Edit: 08/01/17 at 11:12:41 by MMRanch »  

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #16 - 08/01/17 at 03:15:38

Dave, when he takes it into his head to open the throttle on his café Savage up all the way, yes, Dave can run away from me.

Sometimes, that is ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 08/01/17 at 04:43:30

This last trip I spent most of my time at 1/3rd throttle.....I am starting to enjoy the tight corners far more than the straight sections in between.  The faster you go on the straights....the less time you have before you catch up to the SUV lumbering along ahead of you.  A few times on this trip when a slow car blocked our passage....I just turned around and rode the curves the other way for a bit - the curves are fun in "both" directions.

Just so you are all aware of the weather conditions - October can be really cold at night....even in Georgia!  Low 50's and even into the 40's are possible at night!  Daytime temps are up into the low 70's.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/suches-ga/30572/month/2153437?monyr=10/01/2017

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #18 - 08/01/17 at 07:29:44

Cold weather? Don't want to scare piedmontbuckeye on his first trip, but sounds like there may be some snuggling going on in those tents Grin Grin Grin

piedmontbuckeye, you'll have a good time. I ride with this group as well as a big Harley veteran's group (not a veteran but a supporter) and although the veterans group is fun and great people I enjoy this type of riding better.  It is smaller groups which means you have more fun not doing too much waiting around and you are all on comparable bikes that like the twisties.

As far as the camping thing, we mainly use the tents for sleeping and pop-up canopies for the "motorcycle garage". Bring a snack if you want, but we mainly source meals out so we don't have to fool with bringing food and accessories and cooking up a mess by the campfire.

Dave hauls his bike as do I so we try to listen out for those that are biking in and carry whatever we can to help minimize their load (tents, cots, etc.).

IMG_20170721_062553.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #19 - 08/01/17 at 11:26:29

I have brought a cot instead of a air bed , if its a week long thing.   But I can deal with getting up off a air bed for a day or two.   Those air beds pack up so nice .
Bringing a chair is always a good idea . 😉

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 08/01/17 at 12:37:40

MM, you need a sheath to go over your axe head, makes for a very Multi-purpose get up crutch.

Keeps them Dolly Partons off of you while you are sleeping, too.    Grin

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/suches-ga/30572/month/2153437?monyr=10/01/2017

Take a lookie at the 40 degree night temps and consider you are hoping to get up to a 68 degree high for the day.

Cold camping,  cold riding in other words.    Really chills the interest level, don't you know.  

Us old people, we likes to get pneumonia and die, you know.

How about later on in the current month of August?    Still warm weather ....

« Last Edit: 08/01/17 at 14:11:21 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 08/01/17 at 19:18:22

Yep.....I could do a late August trip - most likely without any shivering! Cool

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #22 - 08/01/17 at 20:27:02

Embarrassed

Does it have to over the weekend ?

The 21st (Aug.) is the eclipse .
I'm committed on the 26th (Aug.)  

I'll attend as best I can , on what ya'll working folks need to schedule .   Cool

but , I'm bring the Savage .  Wink    there won't be no wrestling the Harley through the Wolf-Pen !  Tongue

Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #23 - 08/01/17 at 22:43:05

Talk to Dave and Stew about the weekend thing, I have Sunday and Monday off every week supposedly and I can take vacation days anytime that isn't blacked out.   So I could meet up for part of any weekend trip.

Campus is beginning to swing back into life and we are now being told all vacation  (even locked in and pre-approved vacation) is blacked out until further notice.  

What this really means, nobody knows.  

We got a "new hire freeze" this spring because of budget shortfalls due to poor enrollment, and now that half our security people have quit over the summer we can't barely even cover the shifts with a bare skeleton crew here at the start of fall .....

Not a new thing, happens about every other year ......   after classes start (and enrollment solidifies) they will permit a few new hires to tide us over the actual school year, then freeze us again come early spring.

« Last Edit: 08/02/17 at 00:30:24 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 08/02/17 at 04:36:01

A weekend is necessary for us working guys - if you retired fellows want to stay and ride into the workweek that is OK by me.

I have a City Council meeting on Wednesday, August 16th, and the 8 hour drive to Suches is too far for me to drive after the meeting.  I could drive most of the way and then stop when I am beat....then drive the rest of the way on Thursday morning.  This would allow me to ride most of Thursday, all of Friday/Saturday, and I would have to leave on Sunday morning to make the 8 hour drive home.  The eclipse happens around 2 PM on Monday....I won't hang around for it.

If you want to try for that weekend - we can just arrive/leave as it works out best for everyone.

The current weather forecast shows rain for that weekend....but who knows at this point.  Wolf Pen Gap is not a road to be ridden when it is wet.....and MM and Stew said they were sliding around in the curves on 129 when it was wet.  The roads we are going there to explore are road that should be ridden when they are dry.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/suches-ga/30572/month/2153437?monyr=8/01/2017  

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #25 - 08/02/17 at 06:35:49

Dave wrote on 08/02/17 at 04:36:01:
A weekend is necessary for us working guys - if you retired fellows want to stay and ride into the workweek that is OK by me.

Ditto.  Weekdays are pretty much out for me. Missed too many opportunities this year to take long weekend trips with the wifey so if I dip into the work week for solo fun I'll get scolded. Saving the long holiday weekends for some of those make-up trips.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 08/02/17 at 08:39:30

Although I am not retired......I am pretty flexible on which weekend in August.  It is a bit late to plan on this weekend (Aug 3,4,5) - but I could go any of the other weekends.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #27 - 08/02/17 at 12:22:01

By management edict, I am out of this trip (no one is allowed any time off while we are drastically understaffed).

Somebody needs to pick a date later on this month and spit on it.   Then see who can  come.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #28 - 08/02/17 at 12:24:52

Sorry Oldfeller - sometimes work sucks!

OK......Stew, MM, anybody else want to try for the next "good weather weekend" at Suches?

The 10/11/12 forecast looks acceptable at this point...the later weeks are currently forecast to be a bit wetter - but we all know that can (will) change.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/suches-ga/30572/month/2153437?monyr=8/01/2017

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #29 - 08/02/17 at 12:46:05

I think I am relatively safe any weekend (Saturday at minimum) late September or Early October if a surprise weekend doesn't sprout up before then. I hope to have taken the wifey to the beach around Labor Day so that will earn me some motorcycling credits  Cool

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:27:35

General CategoryThe Cafe › Trip to Suches GA?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.