Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 32
Send Topic Print
Beer budget board tracker (Read 6888 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Re: Beer budget board tracker
Reply #390 - 05/21/18 at 09:34:21

Jeez man, you work fast!!!

Beautiful.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #391 - 05/22/18 at 03:03:46

Tocsik wrote on 05/21/18 at 09:34:21:
Jeez man, you work fast!!!

Beautiful.

Thanks. I was working in hopes of receiving the last few parts from powder coating in time for a local show on Sunday.  Parts arrived Monday.  Oh well.  

It's together and running now.  The only thing I know is missing is the cap for the 'oil tank'  which arrives in a few days.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #392 - 05/22/18 at 05:38:33

sandmanred wrote on 07/23/17 at 07:25:15:
I just got a 98 Savage as the start of new build.  I'm going in the direction of a board tracker but not a super strict interpretation.  Maybe more a modern board tracker.  But nothing is built yet so we'll see where it goes.  For I now I'm calling it the beer budget board tracker.

I'm starting with the forks.  My tentative plan is to build them and road test them on the stock frame to make sure I'm comfortable in designing around them as I tear into the frame.

Here's the concept of the fork design.  Not every part is represented yet.  There will be oilite bushings at all pivots and either bolts or rod for axles and gussets or plates to attach the tubes to the bearings.

-----------------------

You posted that on July 23 of last year and almost 10 months to the day, you are finished!?!???  Great job!!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #393 - 05/22/18 at 19:45:01

I really enjoyed this build. I'd like to see an in depth ride report. How do the air bladder suspension components work?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #394 - 05/23/18 at 03:59:40

Thanks again to all for watching and taking the time to comment.

I think the ride is pretty good, especially for a hard tail. My first bike was a hard tail and I started with a frame mounted foam seat.  It was pain full to ride up here in the land of 1 million pot holes.  So I knew I wanted to improve on that.

The front suspension has got 5 inches of travel and the seat has about 2 inches measured under the middle of my butt or about 3 inches if you measure at the back edge of the seat.  There are o-rings on the plunger of the shock that get pushed by the travel that indicate the max compression since the last time you pushed it tight to the upper half of the shock.  They recommend setting the 'sag' to around 20-25% of travel by adjusting air pressure.  The o-rings are handy for this and recording the max travel after a ride.

I logged several hundred miles in shakedown.  After a ride with no quick stops or speed bumps both seat and fork shocks have a max compression of about 3/4 of full travel.  Locking up the front tire will push the front to full travel.  I have not seen the seat go full travel yet and I've already run some pretty rough roads.

The shocks are designed to run to 250 psi if needed.  The ones I'm using are cheaper ones, more expensive ones can run up to 300 psi.  I run the fork shock at about 150 psi and the seat shock at about 80.  I like that you can dial in the spring rate.  If I know a riders weight I can change the pressure to set the sag and spring rate to match the rider weight.  The shock pump is small enough to pack in the tool kit if you want.  You can also set the damping rate from almost nothing to a very slow compression/rebound.

I'd use this suspension set up again.  I like the lines of a hard tail and the ride I get with the seat on shock is pretty smooth.  The front fork works great and you have to keep yourself from watching it too much  Wink  About the only thing I can feel is on big bump the back tire will lose contact with road for an instant.  But for typical road conditions here in north the suspension works pretty well.

It definitely tracks straighter than stock with the extra length, I went from about 58 inches axle to axle to 71.  Due the power and weight distribution I can't do either a 'stoppy' or a 'wheely' but as a pretty conservative rider I actually kind of like that.  I kept the pegs high and as tight to the center line as I could to facilitate turning at speed.  It feels stable in the turns to me.

It came in about 325 pounds with gas and oil.  I think it feels like it's got a little more acceleration than stock just due the weight loss.  

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #395 - 05/24/18 at 14:08:45

If you get a chance, try to post up another video now that you have some paint on.  Would love to hear it at different RPM's and under load.  I was surprised how reasonably quiet it sounded with that short, baffled pipe in the first video.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #396 - 05/25/18 at 06:29:04

Dude built it faster than some Ryca kits.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #397 - 05/25/18 at 08:27:43

Sandman - WOW!  Just... WOW.  It looks great!  How have I not seen this chain until now!!??

I'm not sure if you answered or addressed this before, but where did you come up with that seat design?  I know you mentioned having a rigid before with a seat affixed to the frame, but that "leaf spring look" is awesome!

My buddy and I are doing a rigid and have a double leaf spring for our seat.  Truth be told, I like your design just as well (maybe more).

Where did you get your powder coating done?  I looks great in the pics - are you happy with it?

Like you, we're going with an "any color except black" frame that'll be powder coated.

Again, great job!!

IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #398 - 05/25/18 at 19:56:51

T And T Garage wrote on 05/25/18 at 08:27:43:
Sandman - WOW!  Just... WOW.  It looks great!  How have I not seen this chain until now!!??

I'm not sure if you answered or addressed this before, but where did you come up with that seat design?  I know you mentioned having a rigid before with a seat affixed to the frame, but that "leaf spring look" is awesome!

My buddy and I are doing a rigid and have a double leaf spring for our seat.  Truth be told, I like your design just as well (maybe more).

Where did you get your powder coating done?  I looks great in the pics - are you happy with it?

Like you, we're going with an "any color except black" frame that'll be powder coated.

Again, great job!!

Thanks.

Seat design is mine.  Mountain bike shock is the suspension.  It has about 1 1/2 inch travel.  The spring rate is set by air pressure using small special pump and there is damper setting that affects both compression and rebound.  The leather sling is only fastened front and back and clears the metal frame by about 1 1/2 inches.  It's fairly comfortable.  I figure by the geometry there's about 2 inches of travel under me.  That seems to be enough, it's far better than the 3 inch coils under my other bikes seat that only travel 3/4 inch with no damping controls.  Dig back in the thread and there more detailed info along with a link to a video that shows the seat action.

I used Adrenaline Customs near me here in White Bear Lake MN.  I'm very happy with the job he did.

Good luck with your build, is there some where I can follow it?

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #399 - 05/26/18 at 07:18:08

Really amazing work, and incredible build quality. And done so fast!
Congrats  Wink

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #400 - 05/28/18 at 06:00:50

Armen wrote on 05/26/18 at 07:18:08:
Really amazing work, and incredible build quality. And done so fast!
Congrats  Wink

Thanks!

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #401 - 05/29/18 at 05:19:55

sandmanred wrote on 05/25/18 at 19:56:51:
Thanks.

Seat design is mine.  Mountain bike shock is the suspension.  It has about 1 1/2 inch travel.  The spring rate is set by air pressure using small special pump and there is damper setting that affects both compression and rebound.  The leather sling is only fastened front and back and clears the metal frame by about 1 1/2 inches.  It's fairly comfortable.  I figure by the geometry there's about 2 inches of travel under me.  That seems to be enough, it's far better than the 3 inch coils under my other bikes seat that only travel 3/4 inch with no damping controls.  Dig back in the thread and there more detailed info along with a link to a video that shows the seat action.

I used Adrenaline Customs near me here in White Bear Lake MN.  I'm very happy with the job he did.

Good luck with your build, is there some where I can follow it?

Nice!  Again, very cool seat design Sandmanred!

Our build is here:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1484783359

It doesn't quite compare to yours...    It's a VooDoo Vintage rigid - a little different for sure - and we're taking our time on it.

IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #402 - 05/31/18 at 14:50:50

Our build is here:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1484783359

It doesn't quite compare to yours...    It's a VooDoo Vintage rigid - a little different for sure - and we're taking our time on it.

[/color] [/quote]

I've been following, I just didn't connect the username to you.  This is a great build!  

That frame should allow using an air shock for the seat if you chose.  If If didn't brag it up enough they are great little devices.  Especially if there are multiple operators you can easily dial in the damping and spring rate you like and change if another rider wants to drive.  I always carry the pump in my tool bag, they are small and light.

Good luck with your build!  I'll be watching.

IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #403 - 05/31/18 at 14:57:28

Today's installation  Wink  Everybody has to have a logo, right?

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #404 - 05/31/18 at 18:07:19

Cool name - nice logo!

Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 32
Send Topic Print