Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 32
Send Topic Print
Beer budget board tracker (Read 6881 times)
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Beer budget board tracker
Reply #30 - 08/08/17 at 10:49:10

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 08/08/17 at 05:30:08:
The shock is an air shock for a mountain bike.  I don't have the specs for the one I have but spring rate is variable.  They can be pressurized to make them stiffer and I think they are inherently progressive.  With zero pressure it takes about 100 pounds to travel the first inch.  And it's got two adjustments for damping, one for compression and one for rebound rate.  

I estimate the stock front spring rate to be about 130 pounds per inch by measuring travel and the weight on the front wheel.  So I figure to match that I need to be in the 260 pounds/inch on my shock.  I'm not sure the pressure it will take to achieve but that's well within the typical spring rates advertised for spring based MTB shocks.

For this version to go with the stock frame I'm not changing the rake.  I plan to run the stock wheel/axle/brake and fork length.  If I like the way it rides I may change things up when I do the frame build.

The OEM spring are a dual rate progressive spring with an initial rate of 19 lbs-in  ( 0.34kg/mm) from its static position to 4 inches and then 23 lbs-in (0.41 kg/mm) from 4 to 7 inches.

On my cafe racer I'm using linear rate springs that are 40 lbs-in (0.70kg/m) each. I think you need to recalculate your spring rates as 260 lbs-in will be non-compliant.

Also, I would also caution you on using a shock that is "air sprung". If the bladder fails at speed the bike will become unstable. A traditional coil would be a safer choice.

Finally, I don't believe you want a dual rate spring for this application. Given the geometry of your linkage, your spring will inherently load-up during compression.

I'm new to motorcycling and the savage so any input is appreciated.  

It's not entirely clear but I think stock spring rates are for individual springs?  So there are two in play when installed in the forks, that would double the spring rate making it effectively about 40 lb/in measured at the end of the forks.  

I think I made a mistake in my stock fork spring rate, it looks like I might have missed any spring preload when installed in the fork.  Is there a pre-load of the springs when installed in the forks?

When I mentioned 260 lb in that's rate I estimate needing at the spring, the mechanical advantage in the shock linkage will decrease the rate to about 1/2 that when measured relative to fork travel.  If the lowest spring rate of the air shock is 100 lb/in that turns into about 50 lb/in at the end of the fork which should put me in ballpark to match stock.

The fact that I can change the spring rate is part of why I like the air spring.  They make coil spring shocks that are physically interchangeable with air springs the only thing is the spring rate is fixed.  If there's something about the performance of the air shock I dislike I can switch to a coil spring once I have a better idea of the best spring rate.

I've tried to find info on failure modes for air shocks and it sounds like slow air or oil leakage is typical, rapid and sudden failure rare.  So assuming it goes flat I'd end up at the extreme travel up with no suspension.  The fork geometry actually increases the trail in this position.  I'd imagine it's a rough ride but I'm not sure what would make it unstable?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #31 - 08/08/17 at 12:37:02

Yes, the rate is per spring. For a linear rate spring the rate remains consistent regardless of travel. For a multi-rate spring it is additive force. There is pre-load (typically 15mm), but that doesn't effect the rate of the spring.

For my 40 in-lbs springs that total rate would be 80 in-lbs of force (lbf).

I agree that having a variable air spring would be convenient for testing purposes, but as soon as you select a final rate I'd move towards a traditional shock. You'd be surprised how hot the oil in a shock or fork gets. Oil, having a much higher viscosity then air is  more suited to cope with the heat. You may find that a MTB shock that was designed to support a 40 pound bike and 170 pound rider will not endure a 350 pound bike plus the rider. Not for long anyway.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #32 - 08/09/17 at 09:53:25

Gary,
I agree it will be interesting to see how this functions with that shock but in your calculations you are forgetting the spring rate that the air of the stock fork adds to your stock set up.  The compression of the air above the oil level will add to the spring rate of the physical spring.  That is why the height of the oil is so critical.  

The added aspect that has to be taken into account (which Sandman has done) is to look at the lever arms of the design.  His front end has very short lever arms holding up a much heavier bike and rider.  The mountain bike and rider are lighter but the bike geometry has a much longer lever arm acting against the shock hence the high spring rate of it.  With the very different mechanics involved in the three different designs the spring rates are not going to be close to equal.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #33 - 08/09/17 at 10:05:43

smokin_blue wrote on 08/09/17 at 09:53:25:
I agree it will be interesting to see how this functions with that shock but in your calculations you are forgetting the spring rate that the air of the stock fork adds to your stock set up.  The compression of the air above the oil level will add to the spring rate of the physical spring.  That is why the height of the oil is so critical.  

Ah yes, very true...Blue.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 08/10/17 at 03:56:07

Triple clamps tacked and upper complete.  The long pair of angles will also fixture the forks and allowed for alignment of the clamps to the neck.  The long extension from the steering stem made alignment easier.  The upper clamp is welded, lower clamp tacked and waiting disassembly for final weld.  Hoping it holds tolerance well enough to allow press fit to steering stem.

« Last Edit: 04/30/18 at 06:12:35 by sandmanred »  
  IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 08/11/17 at 16:07:43

Thanks for the kind comments.  I've been reluctant to acknowledge because I felt like I hadn't accomplished much of anything yet.  I feel like if I can get the parts in this picture done I can build the rest.  Still of lot of work to do for sure but so far so good.  I think I have a decent press fit on the bottom clamp but I might go ahead and pin it too just to be sure.  Thanks for the support.

IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 08/14/17 at 04:21:48

Got the bushings turned and other fork parts ready for assembly.  One is tacked up and roughly cut to length.

« Last Edit: 04/30/18 at 06:12:53 by sandmanred »  
  IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 08/19/17 at 04:20:34

Next fork partially assembled in fixture for tacking.  The angle in the background sandwiches on top to locate all the bushing guides.

IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 08/21/17 at 10:30:56

Basic framework assembled.  I need to thread the axles and get crown nuts to keep them in place.  Moving on to the shock mount next.  I clamped the wheel axle in a vise and tried to twist at the triple clamp area, it feels pretty rigid.  Overall happy with the action.  I think I will redesign the shock linkage to go for a bit more travel, shoot for 5 instead of 4 inches.

« Last Edit: 04/30/18 at 06:13:11 by sandmanred »  
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #39 - 08/21/17 at 12:11:02

Nice.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #40 - 08/21/17 at 13:41:12

Blew me away a long time ago.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #41 - 08/22/17 at 13:29:21

Beautiful workmanship. Although I was rather hoping you'd use some Savage parts for the links.

IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #42 - 08/28/17 at 06:10:09

Sorry for no Savage parts, but thanks for the comments.

Progress on shock mount assembly. Waiting on some bushings to assemble the linkage and fit to the forks.

« Last Edit: 04/30/18 at 06:13:49 by sandmanred »  
  IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 09/01/17 at 18:51:00

Fitting the shock linkage to the fork linkage.  Still have a few fixture pieces to make and may need to do some trimming on the upper clamp to let the upper bar in the shock linkage swing.  I've pumped the shock to 60 psi and it firms up quite a bit.  I think I'll end up within it's capabilities.

IP Logged
xaman

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 09/01/17 at 18:56:09

Thanks for taking the time to show us the progress, I'm loving this thread.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 32
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 09:56:39

General CategoryThe Cafe › Beer budget board tracker

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.