Send Topic Print
My bobber build (Read 166 times)
CHANMAN

Sometimes you just
do things

Arkansas
My bobber build
07/22/17 at 15:13:51

So I finished this build a little over a year ago. I received the bike from my parents when my stepmom could not ride it anymore and I went from there. I will post pictures from when I first acquired the bike, and pictures of what it looks like now. I am not completely done with the build. There are a few small things that I would like to do. The thing about my build is that everything can be returned to stock as of this post. This post is long overdue, but decided that I would post it today.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Re: My bobber build
Reply #1 - 07/22/17 at 16:57:22

I like what you've done!  You thinking of adding some sort of rear fender/mudguard?

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
CHANMAN

Sometimes you just
do things

Arkansas
Reply #2 - 07/22/17 at 17:03:15

I have a trailer fender that I bought when doing this project. I never put it on because I wanted to ride it as soon as I could at the time and haven't gotten around to it. I am debating as to whether or not I will, because I always liked the look without. I had my worries, but about now rear fender, but haven't encountered any issues.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 07/23/17 at 10:34:14

Is that the vinegar and baking soda based paint job on the tank? I'm beginning to like that look more and more. I do think you should add the rear fender ,with the front it would give the bike a more balanced look,and be nice in the rain.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
CHANMAN

Sometimes you just
do things

Arkansas
Reply #4 - 07/23/17 at 15:40:18

it is straight vinegar coats sprayed on and then clear coated. I have been thinking about that rear fender since this post. It would be nice in the rain, or the puddles from sprinklers in the summer.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #5 - 07/23/17 at 16:42:59

I think you should ditch the oversize OEM heat shield it doesn't really work with a dyna.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #6 - 07/23/17 at 19:53:19

Paint is definitely cool. The vineger and baking soda paint is a new concept to me, want to learn more about it. Got a dyna for my bike (didn't install yet) and was wondering about the look of OEM heat shield with it. Think black it looks great with the wrap. What's deal with painting a dyna, paint recommendation?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 07/24/17 at 01:47:39

Aftermarket heat shields are plentiful and the prices are wide ranging.
Cut the trailer fender down to cover the minimum needed to keep water, mud & whatever off your back and attach it to the swing arm; you can get a closer fit and it looks much better.
Nice job !

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #8 - 07/24/17 at 02:38:10

Very nice workmanship!

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
CHANMAN

Sometimes you just
do things

Arkansas
Reply #9 - 07/24/17 at 17:59:19

LANCER wrote on 07/24/17 at 01:47:39:
Aftermarket heat shields are plentiful and the prices are wide ranging.
Cut the trailer fender down to cover the minimum needed to keep water, mud & whatever off your back and attach it to the swing arm; you can get a closer fit and it looks much better.
Nice job !

Thank you I was thinking something similar to that. I want to keep it minimum and leave a lot of rear tire.

IP Logged
CHANMAN

Sometimes you just
do things

Arkansas
Reply #10 - 07/24/17 at 18:00:04

eau de sauvage wrote on 07/23/17 at 16:42:59:
I think you should ditch the oversize OEM heat shield it doesn't really work with a dyna.

I have to figure out a nicer look for it. Behind the heat shield isn't too pretty at the moment.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #11 - 07/24/17 at 22:05:12

I bought a 4" heat shield for a 2" pipe off ebay.

It's minimal. I'm really happy with the result. The diameter was a little too 'open' but it's thin enough that you can squeeze it to a smaller diameter with one hand - and it wraps further around the pipe that way.

It only had one slot for a hose clamp in the centre, and the header pipe steps down alot where the clamp goes. I just bought a smaller clamp. Also, because of only one clamp, it will rattle. I stuffed a little  clipping of that fibreglass rope used to seal wood heaters under one end of it. So far, so good.

I forget who the seller was but it arrived in Emgo packaging.

IMG_20170725_144624.jpg

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - 07/25/17 at 05:55:16

Here's another option to help you consider what length heat shield to get.  The dyna I picked up came with the heat shield and I added another to cover the union.

side_view_001.jpg

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
CHANMAN

Sometimes you just
do things

Arkansas
Reply #13 - 07/25/17 at 15:26:37

Thanks guys! These are both good looking options. I will have to look into these.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 11:28:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My bobber build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.