Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone seen rocker/cam damage on a 2005 or later? (Read 71 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Anyone seen rocker/cam damage on a 2005 or later?
07/18/17 at 09:39:00

Somewhere in the 2005 model year the rockers got a wearing surface that is brazed onto the rocker.......the earlier rockers did not have this and were all made in one piece.

Has anyone ever seen the characteristic "premature" wear with the later style rocker with the metal pad?  It could be the 2005 and later style rocker arms are more durable.
(All of the cam/rocker arm wear I have seen has been on the earlier style rockers - and it is obvious that they are sensitive to having modern low ZDDP oils).

Here is a thread I posted about it a couple years ago.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1449515086/0

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Anyone seen rocker/cam damage on a 2005 or lat
Reply #1 - 07/18/17 at 09:55:56

My 05 got 20,000 miles, didn't have the pads, no noticeable rocker wear.
The cam had some places that looked like bad casting, and when they machined the lobes imperfections were exposed.
I can't call it galling, there were no drag marks. I swapped out the cam at between the 5 & 7 thousand mile mark.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Anyone seen rocker/cam damage on a 2005 or lat
Reply #2 - 07/18/17 at 10:02:20

The 2005 parts list is where the new rocker numbers first show up, and that number is used from then on.  The new rockers may not have been used in all the 2005 bikes coming off the assembly line.

Youzguyz has proven the early style can last a very long time (150,000 miles plus) if you use a good oil - but many others have proven it won't go long with modern car oil.

I am looking for anyone that has seen a later style rocker that has been damaged.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 09:21:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Anyone seen rocker/cam damage on a 2005 or later?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.