Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bought my first savage, got a few questions. (Read 246 times)
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Bought my first savage, got a few questions.
Reply #15 - 07/19/17 at 08:29:14

What makes the stock air filter box more efficient than a cone or other custom setup?  Is it the pressure/flow setup from the shape?

IP Logged
metalbrian45
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 07/19/17 at 08:38:43

Great, thanks guys. I will give the dyna muffler a shot and check out the filter mod.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 07/19/17 at 11:30:45

Eegore wrote on 07/19/17 at 08:29:14:
 What makes the stock air filter box more efficient than a cone or other custom setup?  Is it the pressure/flow setup from the shape?

With the cone arrangement, the air flow is turbulent and misdirected as it enters the carb - and there is little or no established flow to help dampen the pulses of the intake air.

The stock airbox has a smooth length of tubing between the filter and carb that allows the air to establish an "average"flow that softens the pulses - and that allows more air to flow when you are using a lot of throttle (It also reduces the noise of the intake).  Most modern engine builders tune the intake plumbing to maximize the air flow and reduce noise.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 07/19/17 at 12:40:05

Exhaust theory is something everyone knows exists. Intake theory is as valid. The charge is drawn in by a low pressure surge. Exhaust gas is at least positively pushed out. A correct volume of air between the filter and carburetor helps.
I'm not seeing the article I read.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=intake+design+theory&qs=AS&pq=intake+design+the...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 07/19/17 at 13:01:22

Eegore wrote on 07/19/17 at 08:29:14:

The stock carb has a port on the upper portion of the intake that greatly benefits a straight portion of duct leading to the carb.
There are a few pod filters out there that block this port entirely and the performance of the carb suffers.
Generally, if you put a straight duct the same length as the stock rubber ducky, performance is restored.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #20 - 07/19/17 at 14:29:44

performance can be increased beyond stock by lengthening the intake still further (my total intake is 17" effective length 18" I used 2" pvc ,inside a gutted, modified, stock air box. Filters moved to the outside of the box .the bike appears stock) total intake length is measured from the intake valve to the opening ,minus the radius of the intake tube. You should check out  www.phaedrus.me/id158.html and www.bgsoflex.com/intakeln.html   for more info.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #21 - 07/20/17 at 11:28:01

metalbrian45 wrote on 07/18/17 at 05:45:32:
I want to add a pipe with weld-in baffle as an exhaust instead of the stocker,

If you absolutely HAVE to have a drag pipe, take a look at the ones Raask and Blue Collar Bobbers (BCB) used to sell.  Both had the baffle placed about where your right footpeg sits.  

I can't help but ask, does it still have the original, 14 year old tires?

IP Logged
metalbrian45
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 07/20/17 at 11:49:09

It does have the origianl tires! I checked them out, they are still pretty supple. That's one of the first things I checked.

I also had another idea for a weld in baffle. Check the exhaust thread I just posted. Not quite a "drag pipe" as you put it.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 07/20/17 at 12:11:42

I would clean up the jetting with the stock or Dyna first.  Then, once you have a baseline, experiment with you're idea.  This way you'll know how bad, or not you're hurting the performance.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 09:29:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bought my first savage, got a few questions.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.