Send Topic Print
Mike Rowe - FTW (Read 69 times)
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mike Rowe - FTW
07/17/17 at 14:05:15

If you don't already - you may want to listen to his podcasts.

http://www.facebook.com/TheRealMikeRowe/posts/1602470736429730:0

It's hard to say he's not center-right leaning - but IMHO, he's one of those rare, rational right leaning folks.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Re: Mike Rowe - FTW
Reply #1 - 07/18/17 at 00:10:03

Can't access Facebook but that name rings a bell.

Is this the guy ?

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/18/17 at 04:53:06

That's him. Always enjoyed his show when I caught it or when he writes an occasional guest editorial.

In his "Dirty Jobs" show, he went to jobs where peopele got, well...they got dirty! But they made a living, some a very good living! He was always reminding his audiance you don't need a college degree to be prosperous. A message that struck home with me. You need to take advantage of those opportunities when they come up, don't be stuck up and think you have to wear a tie to work to be successful, work hard and don't be afraid to get dirty!

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/18/17 at 05:01:58

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/18/17 at 07:00:20

I didn't know how much I agreed with him. It's too bad that every step of every thought process must be explained by the reasonable to get the unreasonable to see.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/18/17 at 07:23:51

reasonable / unreasonable is one way to look at it, but those terms  bring opinion into the equation. politics is opinion based on facts with two or three sides to them

Another phrase is educated vs uneducated. Not education as in schooling but educated on a particular topic. a plumber vs a non-plumber for example.

in my field, I know more that the people I talk to otherwise, why would either of us bother. I have to explain everything. I'll be in Jacksonville, FL tomorrow talking to about 20 engineers who are way smarter than me on about 99% of items, but on this one thing, I know more than all of them combined. I've done this a million times so I know what they will do. they will listen, some will understand, a few will refuse and look for alternative explanations not based on math.

For example; minimum wage laws hurting those they intend to help is a mathematical fact. it's easy to point out. what's harder to point out is when some people ignore that fact. you can't keep them on topic.

our governor in Missouri pushed through a State Law which overturned the city of St Louis's law to raise minimum wage. the governor is right of course but it's been interesting to watch the protest against him and how the mathematical fact of to high a minimum wage is ignored.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 07/18/17 at 07:32:12

The SJWs think their beliefs about
How it Should Be are reasonable and all that needs to happen is
Force those greedy a55holes to
Pay a living wage
to everyone...
And they don't have the first clue about business.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/18/17 at 08:02:55

WebsterMark wrote on 07/18/17 at 07:23:51:
reasonable / unreasonable is one way to look at it, but those terms  bring opinion into the equation. politics is opinion based on facts with two or three sides to them

Another phrase is educated vs uneducated. Not education as in schooling but educated on a particular topic. a plumber vs a non-plumber for example.

in my field, I know more that the people I talk to otherwise, why would either of us bother. I have to explain everything. I'll be in Jacksonville, FL tomorrow talking to about 20 engineers who are way smarter than me on about 99% of items, but on this one thing, I know more than all of them combined. I've done this a million times so I know what they will do. they will listen, some will understand, a few will refuse and look for alternative explanations not based on math.

For example; minimum wage laws hurting those they intend to help is a mathematical fact. it's easy to point out. what's harder to point out is when some people ignore that fact. you can't keep them on topic.

There's no proof that raising the minimum wage hurts the economy.  The AMOUNT is the only sticking point - let's keep it real.

our governor in Missouri pushed through a State Law which overturned the city of St Louis's law to raise minimum wage. the governor is right of course but it's been interesting to watch the protest against him and how the mathematical fact of to high a minimum wage is ignored.

That repeal could damage an already fragile economy.  So far in 2017 St. Louis has had a decent year - with an elevated minimum wage.

What's that phrase?  If it ain't broke, don't fix it?

I guess we'll see what happens there in the next year....

Oh - btw, this thread is about Mike Rowe and the philosophy he promotes - not minimum wage.

Let's talk more about getting young people getting back into trades.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/18/17 at 08:20:11

I was answering Jog but apparently you two have this school girl thing going where you have to ask someone else to tell him you said this and back and forth..... which is stupid and candidly, all your fault TT. You bring interesting opinions but you're such a richard sometimes, who wants to bother exploring them?...

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/18/17 at 09:16:00

WebsterMark wrote on 07/18/17 at 08:20:11:
I was answering Jog but apparently you two have this school girl thing going where you have to ask someone else to tell him you said this and back and forth..... which is stupid and candidly, all your fault TT. You bring interesting opinions but you're such a richard sometimes, who wants to bother exploring them?...

Yet you posted on my thread..... OK....

Sorry if I challenge you too hard...

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #10 - 07/18/17 at 09:16:45

OMG........

politics is opinion based on facts with two or three sides to them

OK children, the word of the day is, convoluted.

[kon-vuh-loo-tid]

adjective
twisted; coiled.
complicated; intricately involved:
a convoluted way of describing a simple device.

For extra credit, look up the word, insane.

Dismissed.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/18/17 at 09:28:51

raydawg wrote on 07/18/17 at 09:16:45:
OMG........

politics is opinion based on facts with two or three sides to them

OK children, the word of the day is, convoluted.

[kon-vuh-loo-tid]

adjective
twisted; coiled.
complicated; intricately involved:
a convoluted way of describing a simple device.

For extra credit, look up the word, insane.

Dismissed.

I already knew that.  Thanks!

in·sane
inˈsān/
adjective
1.  in a state of mind that prevents normal perception, behavior, or social interaction; seriously mentally ill.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 07/18/17 at 09:31:28

Mirror time

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #13 - 07/18/17 at 10:18:26

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/18/17 at 09:31:28:
Mirror time

He is what he is....... Grin

That is why thinking this board has relevance is CRAZY  Kiss

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 07/18/17 at 10:31:33

raydawg wrote on 07/18/17 at 10:18:26:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/18/17 at 09:31:28:
Mirror time

He is what he is....... Grin

That is why thinking this board has relevance is CRAZY  Kiss