Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Back brake change same time as front? (Read 96 times)
JIbber Jabber
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Back brake change same time as front?
07/13/17 at 22:21:09

Being that I don't have time or the experience, I will be bringing my bike in for my first year tune up, petcock upgrade, change front brake pads (pretty much shot from city driving), oil/filter changed, and rejjeting the carb. I was just wondering, do I replace the back brake as well?  Do they need to be replaced at the same time? I was also wondering if there is a difference in the OEM oil filter or better to use K&N? And lastly, is the consensus still to use T6 oil with redline?

Thank you!

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Re: Back brake change same time as front?
Reply #1 - 07/14/17 at 04:15:37

These bikes rarely, if ever, need back shoe replacement.  They just don't wear enough.

My impression is that the oil you mentioned is still the way to go.  Hopefully someone else will jump in with a more definite yes or no. I don't know about the quality of one filter over the other.  I use K&N because I can get them at the auto parts store about a mile from me so I don't need to preorder and keep them for oil changes.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 07/14/17 at 04:35:00

JJ- you should get a Clymers manual , If you have time to ride ,then you need to MAKE the time to do your own repairs, and gain the experience !First of all ,there is nothing on your list that can't be done one at a time and in less than an hour except maybe carb jetting (if it includes the spacer mod ,which the dealer won't do). There are other things the Dealer won't do! they won't pull the brass plug and adjust the fuel mix screw(which should be done first),they won't use T6 or redline (maybe if you supply it),they won't up grade your petcock (if your talking about a Raptor).They'll use stock Suzuki brake pads (you'd be better off with EBC pads)and a tune up for your bike would be checking the sparkplug and valves (the need to replace the plug or adjust the valves is unlikely).no the rear brake shoes last a long time, mine are 22yrs. old.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
JIbber Jabber
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/14/17 at 05:50:26

Ok that's great to know that I don't need to replace the back drum. The shop said they used to do 3 rejjettings a day, so I think they know what they are doing. They did say they would drill out plug, swap the raptor petcock, and would get the T6 for me, I'll add the redline afterwards. I know its sacrilege to mention on this forum to bring a bike into a shop, but I just don't have the space (I live in an apt building in Brooklyn), tools, probably skills, to do them myself. I really wished there was someone near me that was willing to do it together, and would have loved the experience  Undecided

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 07/14/17 at 05:58:03

Your problem is
No Space,
U-Haul , head South. I can't imagine living where walking down the sidewalk feels like navigating the halls in school.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 07/14/17 at 07:02:09

JJ ,My mistake I assumed you were taking it to a Suzuki dealership not a private shop, which is probably a good move on your part,but you might be wise to turn these guy's onto this site if they're going to do the spacer mod while rejetting. ( late night hours and 24 hour self service car wash bays are for people that live in city that have no place to work on their bikes  Smiley.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #6 - 07/15/17 at 00:04:16

This seems as good a place as any to ask about the brake wear limit, which had me a little confused. I have drawn a line extended from the line that is engraved on the pin that the brake lever attached to.

As you can see it extends to one end of the brake wear limit, and I am now assuming that this means that the brake is in new condition and that that centreline has to get to the other end of the brake wear line before it needs changing?

This already has 13,000kms on it and if the above is correct it appears not to wear at all.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/15/17 at 02:12:38

About zero wear at that mileage is right.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 09:22:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Back brake change same time as front?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.