wolverine! (Read 301 times)
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
wolverine!
07/13/17 at 10:14:06

We know 90% of wear occurs due to cold startup ,I'm wondering if something like this couldn't be adapted for use on our bikes.www.Wolverineheater .com/model4-5/4.5.htm  WE  should be able to place it on the bottom of the case ,near the oil drain plug (haven't looked) and run the cord aft and up to a frame mounted plug socket ,( like you might use to hook up trailer lights?)so the cord could be removed just before startup?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: wolverine!
Reply #1 - 07/13/17 at 10:54:58

If a savage can make 150,000 miles without having to prevent wear, I'm not gonna sweat it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 07/13/17 at 11:57:30

JOG your in the state of Texhot you may not feel the need to use it but us "snow birds" may take advantage  ( it's the hottest part of the day here 3pm and the temp is only 67 , my bike's in the garage at about 55)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/13/17 at 12:08:45

I think you're confusing 'cold start' with 'no oil pressure start'

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 07/13/17 at 12:09:49

If we aren't in an Arctic Zone......I don't believe the cold temperature that causes the wear in a "cold" start.  It is the lack of oil pressure and the lack of an thick oil coating on the bearings/piston/cylinder/cam/rockers.  (Although I will concede that the folks that ride in very cold weather likely have some pretty thick oil to get flowing - but some of us just don't feel the need to go riding when the temperature drops below 50!)

When you shut off a hot engine the oil is thin and fluid, and most of the oil flows off the engine parts and drains to the sump - and what is left behind is a very thin oil film.  The Savage engine has roller and ball bearings, and those can get by with very little oil at the cold start.  The piston/cylinder/rings and cam/rockers are likely where the most wear occurs during startup in the Savage engine.

I don't ride in sub-zero....so I don't see any need for an oil heater.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #5 - 07/13/17 at 12:36:03

Interesting idea, but I would think it would be easier to switch to a 5W-40 oil and add redline if needed.  Personally, I find it starts fine down to the mid 40s, at which point I can't find gloves thin enough to operate the controls and still keep my hands warm. Tongue

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 07/13/17 at 13:10:15

I don't believe pressure is the problem,the fact that cold oil doesn't flow as readily as warm oil is.the  reason we drive the bike without going to wide open throttle for the first few miles after a cold start isn't because we don't have pressure but to give the oil a chance to warm because that provides better flow and a thicker film between the parts. it would seem to me that warm oil would provide more lubrication ,sooner ,to both the valve train and the piston /rings /cylinder walls ,or am I crazy ?Running one of these heaters on a lamp timer to turn on 8 hours before your intend start would cost less than4 cents a day /14.00 a year .the closer to running temp (about 270) the faster it warms and the less wear .(no I don't own stock in the company Smiley)

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #7 - 07/13/17 at 15:26:57

Through the magic of modern science and viscosity improvers, oils with a low winter weight, like 5W-40 flow thinner when cold.  http://www.belray.com/what-exactly-do-multi-visc-designations-mean
The two things that contribute to cold start wear are the milliseconds that there is no pressure in the bearings (like the cam) and the few minutes it takes for the metal to expand and clearances to come into spec.  Anyone who has listened to a diesel started in sub zero temps can relate.  As for how much that heater would bring up the temp. of the whole engine? Undecided

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 07/13/17 at 16:13:01

That's an expensive heating pad... Shocked

How 'bout one of these?...
$14 at Wallmart
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunbeam-Heating-Pad/25479730?action=product_intere...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 07/13/17 at 17:24:09

All I can say is the product comes from a company that gives it a two year warranty, a mounting kit ,online instructions for mounting and is sized to heat 1.9 liters of oil . Our bike holds 2.4 with a filter change,1.8 without, so I assume the case holds in the area of 1.8 at rest.I donit know if anyone needs/wants one but I thought members should be aware that they exist.( anyone running a snowmobile?)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 07/13/17 at 18:06:12

Multigrade oils start off cold at the low viscosity and the polymeric chains grow as it warms. Super cold may screw it up, I'd.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DieselBob

Thumper - One Who
Thumps

Goshen, IN
Reply #11 - 07/13/17 at 20:26:05

Better than the heating pad would be a pre-oiler. From my flying days, they are the salvation of the Pratt & Whitney radial.

http://www.oilamatic.com/engine-tlc.htm

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #12 - 07/14/17 at 07:39:41

I personally like to ride anytime the temp is above 35 in the morning.  I've had three times when my bike wouldn't start.  Normally runs and starts great, but not when below 40.  I'm in South Carolina.

Years ago, I used to use a small space heater under my bike about an hour or two before startup in the morning.  Worked great back then!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
AlexW

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Durham, NC
Reply #13 - 07/14/17 at 09:21:03

SALB wrote on 07/13/17 at 12:36:03:
 Personally, I find it starts fine down to the mid 40s, at which point I can't find gloves thin enough to operate the controls and still keep my hands warm. Tongue

Put on a pair of neoprene shop gloves under your motorcycle gloves. Adds 5 degrees or so to the bottom end of your comfort zone, and has no meaningful impact on hand mobility. Also has the added benefit of making non-waterproof gloves functionally waterproof - the gloves will get wet, but your hands won't.

2012 (orange) • Dyna muffler/Oldfeller air filter • 152.5/52.5, ~2/3 spacer removed • Raptor petcock; Progressive 12" shocks.
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #14 - 07/14/17 at 13:55:15

DieselBob wrote on 07/13/17 at 20:26:05:
Better than the heating pad would be a pre-oiler. From my flying days, they are the salvation of the Pratt & Whitney radial.

http://www.oilamatic.com/engine-tlc.htm

Like this?
https://www.cantonracingproducts.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=2...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 07:17:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › wolverine!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.