Send Topic Print
Idiot buzzer (Read 298 times)
AlexW

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Durham, NC
Idiot buzzer
07/11/17 at 08:08:22

I'm becoming famously good at leaving my key in the ignition switch and walking away from the bike. Once every 3 weeks or so, regular as clockwork, I return to a bike with a dead battery.
Thankfully, the three places that I regularly park for long enough to kill the battery all have steep enough slopes for an easy push start, but that's not ideal. What I really want is a beepy thing that tells me the key is still in.  Tongue

There might be some way to co-opt the side-stand switch to activate a buzzer when the stand is down (but only when the key is in!), which would have the desired effect.
Any ideas of where in the circuitry you could put one, if anywhere?

2012 (orange) • Dyna muffler/Oldfeller air filter • 152.5/52.5, ~2/3 spacer removed • Raptor petcock; Progressive 12" shocks.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Idiot buzzer
Reply #1 - 07/11/17 at 08:15:27

Stop flipping the kill switch.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 07/11/17 at 08:24:15

Had a lady alert me to having done that up at the Dragon earlier this year. Felt like a goon.

I think the sidestand switch grounds out the system when down, which is the opposite of what you need, which is for the buzzer to be energized when you have the sidestand down and key on.

There is probably a way to trick this out though..I am sure someone intimately familiar with the electrical system will come along and offer some suggestions...and if it is easy I might do it too  Wink

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 07/11/17 at 09:00:45

Tie the key to your pants... Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 07/11/17 at 09:01:44

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/11/17 at 08:15:27:
Stop flipping the kill switch.

Agreed. I see the kill switch as an emergency kill switch, not as a normal means of shutting down the bike. I use the key 100% of the time.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/11/17 at 09:47:28

I agree with the other guys, stop using the kill switch.

Its a free solution and doesn't require any re-wiring, research or modification beyond training yourself to stop using your thumb to shut off the bike.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/11/17 at 09:56:53

I made the same mistake, a few times. I have also just switched off and Still left the key, because I was not ready to stand up and put the keys in my pocket. So, Now I switch off and stick the key in my gas cap. I do use the kill now, since I have trained to get the key off and out. Recommend you avoid the kill switch until it's reflexive to look at the key.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 07/11/17 at 09:57:41

In flight training we were taught, as it is procedure, to put the engine at idle and pull the fuel mixture until the engine died, then turn off the magnetos. This in order to burn out any unused fuel from the carb for obvious reasons.

The S40, and most other carbureted motorcycles that don't fly, don't work under these same principles and using either the kill switch or the key kills the spark and shuts down the engine, but in some cases shutdown procedures and extra switches, etc. are for an intended purpose.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #8 - 07/11/17 at 10:24:51

I never use the kill switch.  Test it now and then to ensure that it works.
Also, I am afraid of turning on the parking light and leaving the bike. Thinking about disabling that feature.

Once left the Transformer rectifier switch in a Gulfstream in the on position. Nothing shows up except the switch position.  Embarrassing the next day with two flat Nicads- a lot worse than it sounds. Embarrassed

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
AlexW

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Durham, NC
Reply #9 - 07/11/17 at 10:27:46

Yup, retraining kill procedure would work!
I'm only a few thousand miles into this motorcycle lark and still doing things by the MSF book procedure (which is to kill the kill switch). It literally hadn't occurred to me that you'd shut the bike off any other way, except by accident.

2012 (orange) • Dyna muffler/Oldfeller air filter • 152.5/52.5, ~2/3 spacer removed • Raptor petcock; Progressive 12" shocks.
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #10 - 07/11/17 at 10:32:11

I've used the key for shutdown since day one, so I've never had a problem remembering the key.  My problem is that stupid parking position on the switch.  More than once, I've left the lights on and come out to a dead battery. Angry

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #11 - 07/11/17 at 10:44:15

I've never used the kill switch. My riding instructor drilled that into us. However, I have left the key ij the bike a number of times (sometimes on, and sometimes even switched off).

After I installed the Raptor petcock I retrained myself to switch off the fuel and the ignition each time I get off the bike. That's been mostly effective.

There are still those moments when something interrupts my dismount routine (like someone talking to me after I stop, but before I dismount) where I can still forget about the key!

So far I've generally realised the oversight before getting too far from the bike  Smiley

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 07/11/17 at 11:14:51

I use the kill switch only because I like the bike parked in gear ,but I've trained myself to remove the key with my left hand right after that.However  if I were to install a buzzer ,I think ( not being a sparktrician )I would power it of the taillight  and ground it through the sidestand in that way when you put the stand down the buzzer would sound if the key were in run or park positions.( avoiding a dead battery) It wouldn't however tell you to remove the key if in the off position.(theft is your problem ,you can't blame the bike)but if you were to leave the key in the bike in the off position someone turning it on to steal it would activate the buzzer and might think you had the bike alarmed.

« Last Edit: 07/11/17 at 18:07:53 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #13 - 07/11/17 at 13:28:00

batman wrote on 07/11/17 at 11:14:51:
I use the kill switch only because I like the bike parked in gear ,but I've trained myself to remove the key with my left hand right after that.

Now that make a lot of sense and I didn't even think about it. I as well always like to park the bike in gear and I use my kill switch so I can do the same, then remove the key with my left hand.

I even use the kill switches on my 4 wheelers and other things that have a kill switch and a key, but those I do more so for making it frustrating for kids and other people that shouldn't be playing on them.

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 07/11/17 at 14:22:37

You want to park in gear and shut the engine off?  put down the kickstand.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 09:32:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Idiot buzzer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.