Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Have I become a Hipster? (Read 296 times)
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Have I become a Hipster?
07/10/17 at 12:26:59

I've always ridden with appropriate gear; whether dirt or street. For the street this always included (as a minimum) helmet, gloves, leather jacket & motorcycle specific boots. I also have kevlar reinforced jeans that get used a lot (but not all the time).

I live in a rural area, a 25 sq/mi township with only 3,000 people (that's only 5 people per acre). My wife owns the local cafe and it's less than a mile from my house. On the weekends I tend to jump on my cafe racer in the morning a grab some coffee and then do this again at lunch time. When I do this I'm usually just wearing shorts, a t-shirt and sneakers. Rather then get all geared up for a 1 mile ride I just strap a 3/4 to my head and head to the cafe.

I occurred to me this weekend that I probably look like one of those city Hipsters - dressed completely inappropriately on a purchased custom of some sort (but usually a cafe racer). Of course, if I'm going any further then the cafe I gear up.

Question: do you gear up if you are staying close to home or in your neighborhood? Heck, there isn't a single place where someone could make a left turn in front of me. It's a right out of my driveway, 1/2 mile to a T intersection and then 100 yards down the road.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Have I become a Hipster?
Reply #1 - 07/10/17 at 12:53:08

That is something I wrestle with on occasion....most of the time when the thermometer heads over 85 degrees.

I never ride without a helmet, boots and jeans, and I can count on one hand the number of times I ride without an armored jacket in any single year...and that is generally just a lap around my country block to dry the bike after a washing.  (I almost never wear shorts even if I am not on a bike).

I can understand the scenario you describe, and you are not very likely to ever have a problem on that ride.  I cringe every time I see the young man weaving through traffic at 80 mph on a sportbike while he is wearing slip on tennis shoes, shorts and a T shirt.    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/10/17 at 13:19:40

Quote:
Hipster (contemporary subculture) - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_(contemporary_subculture)
Members of the subculture typically do not self-identify as hipsters, and the word hipster is often used as a pejorative to describe someone who is pretentious, overly trendy, and effete, or a stereotypical term, that has been reclaimed and redefined by some as a term of pride and group identity.

I believe this is a catch 22, you are questioning your "Hipsterism" therefore you are not a hipster... unless you went for covfefe.

WWW   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/10/17 at 13:21:27

I built my bike for the sole purpose of riding to and from work as often as I can.  I've put 1600 miles on it so far this year and less than 16 of those miles were used for anything other than commuting.  Before buying my LS650 I considered smaller thumpers, DS bikes and even scooters.

I don't wear anything special when I ride to work.  If it's a shorts and golf shirt day, I simply add my 3/4 helmet and sunglasses and I'm on my way.  On cold mornings I might throw on a pair of gloves, goggles and maybe a pair of softshell hiking pants to keep me from freezing on my commute.  

I'm doing the minimum, because that's all I want to do. I never intended to go with a full set of gear.  Doing so would turn the simple process of going to work into something more than I want to deal with.  

I'm banking on my skills and attention to my surroundings to keep me reasonably safe.  I am hoping nobody takes down out there.  I hoping if I do go down, my helmet will do it's job and understand the rest of my body might feel pretty bad.  I fully understand that I might pay the price for my decisions and I'm willing to take that chance IF I ever go down on the road.  My plan is to never crash on a road bike and not be brain dead if I do.  So I'm dressing "appropriately" for that plan.

When I raced motocross, I wore a full set of gear.  When I raced, the question wasn't IF was going to crash, it was when and how hard.  Hitting the ground was part of the sport and I dressed accordingly for that plan.

If this makes me a 49 yr old hipster, then I'm cool with that.  I'm never going to smoke, get tattoos, or wear designer clothing,  but I would consider removing the visor from my helmet.  Smiley

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 07/10/17 at 13:38:49

This is a bit of an "off topic" comment - but when I had my Sherco trials motorcycle you absolutely had to wear the full height boots at all times.  The pegs had very sharp metal cleats so your feet wouldn't ever slip off at a critical moment - and they could remove meat from your shins in an instant....even through jeans.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 07/10/17 at 16:14:19

Just don't wear a tie with your t-shirt and it'll be okay... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
cygnet
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/10/17 at 16:51:38

I always ride with a motorcycle jacket full face helmet gloves and boots. The reason is back in the day I was run over, I was going down the highway and a drunk hit me from behind I was doing 140kph. If I had not had all the gear on that I did I would have been very seriously injured, my point is you never know when disaster will strike, so be prepared, I have several 100 thousand KM's on motorcycles and have been on the ground more than once  so just be as prepared.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 07/10/17 at 19:25:57

On occasion you might catch me in shorts & tee with tennis shoes & my favorite cool of fingertip gloves. But last time I did that , something happened , just got a chill up my spine looking down at my bare legs remembering the road rash from almost 40 years ago. Turned around and went home to suit up. It was the strangest feeling like something bad was going to happen , a bad omen you could say ! Just suit up guys , don't be stupid , bad things happen and happen fast ! Hipsters , Squids all the same don't be one !!!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #8 - 07/10/17 at 20:17:03

I had to quit sitting on a wallet years ago to help get rid of the Back  ache , so now I take my leather vest to have pockets , its good protection too.  

I saw a feller in shorts , tennis shoes and Tee shirt , ridding down a curvy mountain road ... loose control and slide till he stopped from 40 ish mph.  It wasn't pretty !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #9 - 07/10/17 at 21:34:43

I wear high vis jacket, full face helmet, stuffed gloves and stuffed m/c boots. If I'm doing over fifty miles, I'll probably wear proper m/c over trousers. As some may have gathered I could care less about hip, or cool.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #10 - 07/10/17 at 23:02:37

I'm tempted to do a short trip occasionally without the gear, but it's just tempting fate. If I remember correctly, most accidents occur on short commutes ... and after watching a couple of videos on YouTube of guys have a minor fall at 50km/hr in a t-shirt ... well the image of the roadrash is ingrained!

I just suit up all the time.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 07/11/17 at 05:04:20

verslagen1 wrote on 07/10/17 at 13:19:40:
I believe this is a catch 22, you are questioning your "Hipsterism" therefore you are not a hipster... unless you went for covfefe.

This gives me great comfort.

Regarding the ride to the cafe - the only curve is in my driveway so I'm not at all concerned about a loss of control, and the entire tip takes place in a 25 mph zone.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 07/11/17 at 05:47:09

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 07/11/17 at 05:04:20:
Regarding the ride to the cafe - the only curve is in my driveway so I'm not at all concerned about a loss of control, and the entire tip takes place in a 25 mph zone.

The trip and related traffic are obviously not enough of a safety risk that makes you believe you are "unsafe" - however you are uncomfortable with the biker fashion faux pas you are presenting.

Perhaps there is a need for a calming chant as you make the short ride:  "I am not a hipster, I am not a hipster, I am not a hipster"....repeat as necessary!

Would a pair of these tattoo sleeves make the hipster image better...or worse? Huh

Arm_Tattoo.jpg

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #13 - 07/11/17 at 06:38:38

Dave wrote on 07/11/17 at 05:47:09:
Would a pair of these tattoo sleeves make the hipster image better...or worse?

It depends. Do they provide protection against road rash?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 07/11/17 at 06:48:19

Probably no road rash protection - but they do provide a sun block.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:35:46

General CategoryThe Cafe › Have I become a Hipster?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.