Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Have I become a Hipster? (Read 296 times)
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Re: Have I become a Hipster?
Reply #30 - 07/12/17 at 20:28:58

Gary, I think back to the days when young, I would jump on my dirt bike in the summer to ride the mile and a 1/2 down to the creek for a swim, wearing cut-offs, t-shirt and Converse Chuck's (with a helmet). Was I young and foolish, Stupid or a country boy bon vivant?  Thing is, you can never take things for granted, but at the same time you have to live life.

The question would be how would you dress to ride a bicycle, that's the rule I abide by. I always wear a helmet, though I don't wear shorts on the motorcycle (though I do on my bicycle) and a long sleave shirt. A short ride around the corner (though statistically very dangerous) needs to have some allowance for fun.

I can't tell you how many times I get passed on interstate by a guy doing 75 in shorts, t-shirt and sneakers. Makes me cringe. But a quick dash around the corner for coffee, it doesn't make you a hipster.

It's kind of like, how did we all grow up and survive without child safety seats or walking to the bus stop by ourselves to go to school. I grew up riding around in a Ford Pinto.

It's all relative, if you feel safe and are confident you do what you gotta do. Let's be honest, how many times have we all worked on something on our bikes until late in the evening to get a job done, only to fire it up and take a quick ride out the driveway and up and down the street to test it out, sans helmet and full gear? Not advocating that type of behavior (it is the express intent of the writer to state this is not advisable (legalise)) but it is a part of the culture of those who work on their rides.

Enjoy your coffee run.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #31 - 07/13/17 at 01:32:06

SoC, your last post really got me thinking. My approach to riding gear is derived from a combination of experience and 'sage advice'. A friend once said to me "no-one trips over a boulder, it's always a pebble". And I've had my fair share of physical pain over the last few years to make me want to avoid it if I can.

When I get ready for a ride, even a short one, while I'm getting suited up, I sometimes imagine someone asking me "is it worth the effort?" My response would be "Is it worth packing the car to go to the beach, or go camping?" Well, every time I get on the bike it feels like that.

However, I'm new to riding so maybe I still get that 'new' buzz. However, experience, from other areas of life, tells me I'll kick myself (hard) if I get laid up for 6 months because one day I thought "What the hell, it's just down the road."

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #32 - 07/13/17 at 10:17:39

IR , Your smart to think that way , cause the one time you don't is when it happens !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #33 - 07/14/17 at 03:44:26

And when you're a bit of an old hand, getting kitted up to whatever level you settle on will become part of the routine and you won't even notice it. (I rarely squid it but darn it feels nice rolling down to the beach in jeans and a t shirt on a hot summer evening. Worth the risk now and again).

IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #34 - 07/14/17 at 08:41:15

You guys are all correct in being cautious. I didn't mean to imply that when riding I am as casual as it sounded. When actually going anywhere, it is full on with gear. It was a bit of mis-statement with the bicycle analogy, I was just saying that for a quick trip around the corner, on less than busy roads, I use the bicycle rule.

In the end you can never be too safe and protective gear is part of the whole program. It's one of the reasons I have a full face helmet and a yellow jacket.

If you want to see something scary, travel the interstates in Conn. where helmets are optional if over 18. Watch some guy blow by you at 70mph with nothing more than a backwards baseball cap and sunglasses.

But to the point of is it Hipster to go full gear, my thought is too many hipsters decide to buy a bike as it would be cool, take a driving class and think the 8-10 hours of instruction have taught them everything they need to know. They don't take it seriously enough. Those are the guys in shorts and tank tops, trying to look cool.  

On another note, a good friend with a performance sport bike just had a collision with a guardrail at a fair rate of speed. It was the full on protective gear that saved his life. Full face helmet, padded jacket, ripstop padded pants. He didn't walk away, bunch of broken ribs, sternum, collarbone, punctured lung and what would have been a hole through his leg (instead a big dent) if it were not for the pants. He will have a full recovery but has a stint in rehab before he goes home.

If you are wondering if you should gear up, you probably should.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:23:24

General CategoryThe Cafe › Have I become a Hipster?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.