Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clunking from front pulley area (Read 70 times)
652cafe
YaBB Newbies

A sunny place for shady people
Clunking from front pulley area
07/09/17 at 12:53:48

Hey guys, I notice when I roll my bike fwd in neutral it makes a clunking sound from the front pulley area, like maybe a half dozen clunks then nothing for a few feet then repeats. It is quiet when being rolled backwards!
I'm not completely sure, but I don't think it did this until a few weeks ago when I attempted to roll start my bike (unsuccessfully) about 3 or 4 times. Runs great and smooth other than that. Is this something I should be concerned about?

2007 S40/RYCA CS-1 15,000 miles, Verslavy CC Adjuster, Mobil 1 Racing 10w 40.
Horse power is good at the track. Torque is what makes riding on the street FUN !
WWW   IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Re: Clunking from front pulley area
Reply #1 - 07/09/17 at 13:07:52

Have you inspected the belt for any missing or broken teeth?  That would be my first move, then check the pulley nut torque.  Should be around 95 ft/lbs.
Having the noise start after bump starting may be a bit concerning, but maybe just some damage to the belt.
Other, more knowledgeable folks will surely chime in.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
652cafe
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 07/11/17 at 04:36:25

Thanks, no there are no missing teeth on the belt. I do think my belt might be a little too tight though after watching that instruction video. I can just about twist it to 90 degrees, but not easily with thumb and finger. I'll adjust and take another listen.

Horse power is good at the track. Torque is what makes riding on the street FUN !
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 07/11/17 at 04:44:41

You really need to confirm the nut is tight on the pulley shaft.

If that is loose and the pulley flops around - it can ruin the shaft.  Repairing the shaft requires splitting the engine case, and most times it is easier for folks to buy a good used bottom end or engine.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
652cafe
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 07/11/17 at 12:41:23

oh wow...thanks Dave! I just loosened the belt (about 1 and a half turns on both sides and the clunking went away completely. Bikes rolls back and forth silently now!  I will definitely check the nut on the pulley later though once the bike is cool. THANKS again.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 09:27:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clunking from front pulley area

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.