Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bloomberg lays out the end of Hurlybigbike-itus (Read 308 times)
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Bloomberg lays out the end of Hurlybigbike-itu
Reply #15 - 07/10/17 at 05:52:47

I was thinking the same thing Dave. There is a lot of transnational friction to get a motorcycle onto a dealers floor.

The only new bike I have ever purchased was my first street bike, a 1981 GN400 (wish I still had it). It had a list price of $1,300 and I paid $1,100. If you were into bikes in the early 80's you may recall that the market was in a deep depression and you could bargain on anything.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 07/10/17 at 09:42:04

There is a lot of transnational friction to get a motorcycle onto a dealers floor.

Lubrication engineers are working on it. The last research I saw indicated that the team were considering working with bankers in hopes of finding something to address the problem. They are thinking that money might smooth some of that out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 07/10/17 at 09:54:03

As much fun as it is to buy something new.......I just can't imagine that I will ever buy a new motorcycle (or car) again.

The used motorcycle market is huge in the area I live, and you can often find a motorcycle with 1,000 miles or less for half price.  I am glad that folks are buying new motorcycles and taking good care of them - then parting with them cheaply! Wink

Back to the original topic........I guess at some point the need for a new Harley is going to dwindle as the market seems to be pretty well saturated.  The folks that can afford to buy a new Harley already have one....and the new daring young men are buying sport and naked bikes.  And the "distracted driver" and traffic jams on the busy roads in this area really do make riding on two wheels seem like a dangerous means of transportation to people with normal self preservation thresholds.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 07/10/17 at 11:27:16

much fun as it is to buy something new.......I just can't imagine that I will ever buy a new motorcycle (or car) again.

I wouldn't unless my family was Steenking Rich.
Depreciation is immediate.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #19 - 07/11/17 at 20:51:49

You use to hear the Harley guy's say they bought them because they kept their valve, but it's raining used Harley's around here ,If you have $3,000 you can take your pick.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #20 - 07/14/17 at 01:17:48

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/millennials-are-wrecking-americas-mo...

MSN Money tracks the end of Harley Davison's long ride as America's Number One motorcycle brand.

"We estimate rider growth has declined from a 3-5% annual growth pace pre-financial crisis to close to 0% today," noted Beckel. If our back-tested model is predictive of the future, we expect rider growth will dip into negative territory in 2017 and stay in negative territory for at least the next five years."

Gist is that them Gen X chillun's jest doesn't like a big heavy Hurley, and when they do rarely buy a bike it is always a used Japanese or European bike.

« Last Edit: 07/14/17 at 15:48:48 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #21 - 07/14/17 at 09:58:18

It would appear that Kawsaki is well aware that in order to build a new audience, you must start small (as in displacement). This bike could be very interesting:

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/oops-milwaukee-news-crew-outs-2018-kawasak...

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 07/14/17 at 10:47:24

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 07/10/17 at 05:52:47:
The only new bike I have ever purchased was my first street bike, a 1981 GN400 (wish I still had it). It had a list price of $1,300 and I paid $1,100. If you were into bikes in the early 80's you may recall that the market was in a deep depression and you could bargain on anything.

-------------------------------------------

Funny because I recently tried to snag one locally.  Asking price was $900 and it was gone in a day.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 07/14/17 at 13:05:11

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 07/14/17 at 09:58:18:
It would appear that Kawsaki is well aware that in order to build a new audience, you must start small (as in displacement). This bike could be very interesting:

http://www.motorcycle.com/features/oops-milwaukee-news-crew-outs-2018-kawasak...

I hope it's a torquier design instead of a higher top end goal. I've been trying to not wish too hard for a 300. Maybe a 300 would be the better choice, and availability might go up with a 400 on the market.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #24 - 07/14/17 at 15:18:47

I think the American market sucks unless your a sport bike fan. The only bike that interests me is a Ducati Srambler. Now if we had the same choices Japan & Europe has it would take some time to decide what to buy. So I guess there won't be any NEW cookie cutter bikes in my stable. I guess I will get used to building bikes I want to ride. Who wants a Harley, with Indian kickin their a$$ at the races, you bet their sales are down. Not to mention they have already saturated the market with their bikes, why buy one when you own two !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 07/14/17 at 15:35:44

Some day, the W650 will roll again..
I hope..

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 07/14/17 at 18:20:15

Dave has most of the truth all laid out for you.   Cheaper bikes are made elsewhere in the world without all the EPA frills (most similar to our stuff in the 70's) but by the time you import them (equipped to be compliant with our EPA) they are quite expensive.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #27 - 07/14/17 at 18:22:13

Yeah JOG that's a cool bike. Get that carb fixed ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 07/14/17 at 20:52:24

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/14/17 at 15:35:44:
Some day, the W650 will roll again..
I hope..
-----

I wish...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 07/14/17 at 21:31:23

I have one, it's been parked for a few years.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:26:57

General CategoryThe Cafe › Bloomberg lays out the end of Hurlybigbike-itus

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.