Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Bloomberg lays out the end of Hurlybigbike-itus (Read 308 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Bloomberg lays out the end of Hurlybigbike-itus
07/06/17 at 16:13:21

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Bloomberg lays out the end of Hurlybigbike-itu
Reply #1 - 07/06/17 at 16:22:41

Time to get retro... Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 07/06/17 at 17:29:47

Someone who was under thirty in 1990 (like me), is now over 50 (like me Sad ). The manufacturers have been relying on the kids from the 70's for a long time. We were the motorcycle boom generation. They better wake up, there less and less of us every day.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 07/06/17 at 17:45:19

Won't be long till I'm riding a
Crotchety Rocket

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #4 - 07/06/17 at 20:56:17

Yea Gary

The kids from the 70's are getting 100+ HP / 400# bikes ... wont be long before most of them die off !   :'(

That little Honda  looks like my S-65 from years ago.   Kind-a  Smiley

no harder than it pulled the chain didn't need adjusting that often / besides at 30mph it takes a long time to get to the 600 miles adjustment time  !  Grin

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #5 - 07/07/17 at 02:15:42

OF, you certainly put your finger on the button.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
sjaskow - FSO

Frozen Tundra of MN
Reply #6 - 07/07/17 at 10:46:07

I think some of this is also a reflection of the crappy economy of the last 10ish years combined with the rise in the amount of student loans since the 90s. After all, it's kind of hard to justify a 20K toy when you're paying off 50K in student loans at a McJob. They tend to quote the sameish stats when they talk about millennials and home ownership.

2012 Victory Vision - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/vision
2006 Suzuki S40 - http://www.jaskowiak.cc/S40
WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #7 - 07/07/17 at 20:13:15

I think the Starter bikes are over priced so there ain't no starters !  Wink

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bloomberg says "Motorcycle Industry Is Dying"
Reply #8 - 07/07/17 at 08:50:12

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-05/can-millennials-save-the-m...

Most of this article relates to the US market and how most sales are to people over 50 years old.  Seeing that only us old timers are buying bikes I wish they would start making them lighter in weight with more comfortable seating positions.  The age vs buyers chart is interesting, you can see why they would be worried about future sales.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Bloomberg says "Motorcycle Industry Is Dying"
Reply #9 - 07/07/17 at 18:57:27

That's an interesting article, to be sure. But I (personal opinion here) think they may have overlooked a couple of points. First, due to overproduction, the "Big Twin" market has become saturated. Everyone that wants one, has one. $4500 will get you a great late model (massive) used HD. Second, all we Yanks get now are cruisers, crotch rockets, and dirt devils. Gone are the "classic" styles (think '70s Honda) that were affordable and lured us into the market. If I could get a new CB175 Scrambler, I'd buy it tomorrow. I didn't see any reference to the scooter market in that article. Scooters have really caught on with the younger crowd; simple, comfortable, economical, affordable. The market isn't dying; it's merely changing. Adapt, or die.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 07/08/17 at 13:31:46

Yep, you are correct, the market is changing, like it always does.
Apparently the writer of the article does not ride, or is at least very narrowly focused with blinders on.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #11 - 07/08/17 at 16:36:26

Yea HappyDan ,
Yamaha was on the right track with that SR-400 , but the idiots put that wound rotor alt. in it.   Only folks who will buy one are the folks who don't know what they are getting into.

justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 07/08/17 at 21:13:09

You just said it and I still wouldn't know how to avoid getting shafted.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #13 - 07/09/17 at 11:31:36

I'm of the opinion also that starter bikes are way too expensive.  All bikes are way to expensive these days.  

Most starter bikes these days are made in third-world countries and are produced quite cheaply. Why does the same 250 that costs $1000 to put on the floor in a third-world country cost us $4000 or more?  Profiteering??? It's the same bike. Quality here is no better than there.

Younger people starting out have little extra money these days and have to spend it on more important things.  The small size, good ol UJM at a reasonable price would probably bring in lots of new riders.

The younger generation is also more and more shunning car ownership in favor of ride sharing, bicycles or scooters. I saw a report on tv about this a while back.  Said expenses were a big part and that since everything is getting so city oriented and traveling around is getting so expensive and over-regulated, they just don't feel the need.

If they don't feel the need to have a car, a motorcycle is surely way down the list unless it's something small to cheaply get around town. (chinese scooter)

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 07/10/17 at 04:13:10

Steve H wrote on 07/09/17 at 11:31:36:
Most starter bikes these days are made in third-world countries and are produced quite cheaply. Why does the same 250 that costs $1000 to put on the floor in a third-world country cost us $4000 or more?  Profiteering??? It's the same bike. Quality here is no better than there.

I think the cost increase to the US is a really involved issue, and I don't believe any single entity is making a huge profit on them.  I do believe the issue is really a lot of small costs, fees and taxes all adding up while the bike is in transit to the US dealer.

The bike has to be shipped to a port, then put on a ship....then unloaded from the ship at a US port that likely has fees and some form of import tax, then it has to be shipped to a distributor, then eventually to a dealer.  While in motion there are vehicle related fuel and licensing fees/insurance and maintenance costs to be paid - and at every stop there is a person(s) that are earning wages and getting benefits paid to them, and a building that costs money for mortgage,insurance, taxes, ,etc.

Back in the 70's when I first started riding the entry level bikes were in the $600 range and were very simple air cooled engines with a carb....a web searched shows the Suzuki T500 Titan was $899 in 1970 (it was not considered a beginners bike).  Today the entry level bikes are in the all over $5,000 if you buy new - and they are mostly fuel injected, water cooled, and EPA compliant.

« Last Edit: 07/10/17 at 06:24:15 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:28:42

General CategoryThe Cafe › Bloomberg lays out the end of Hurlybigbike-itus

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.