Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shake, Rattle and Roll... (Read 73 times)
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Shake, Rattle and Roll...
07/06/17 at 12:47:05

I need some opinions on a curious thing that I've noticed. I've had my bike for about 5 years and it's been good to me.
I recently had new Pirelli 66 tires installed to replace the same tire. I've noticed in the last several hundred miles that when I start to approach 70mph I'm getting way more vibration than I used to.
I'm suspecting a few different things and was hoping someone might help me narrow it down...

1) tires were mounted poorly or not balanced correctly(it's a shop I've never used)
2) wheels were mounted poorly (by me!)
3) engine mounts are loose.
4) bike is just getting jangly from age 22,000 and climbing
5) wheels out of true

When I had the Pirellis mounted before I had Woody's Wheel Works do it and they are top notch, they also did a wheel true at the time (I installed them after they had mounted them on the wheels). That was probably 5 years ago.
For the most part I do my riding in the 50-60mph range and it's super solid but since the new tires it acts funky above 70mph.
I've had this bike up to 85mph with the old Pirelli's but now if I hit 70mph it feels as if I'm gonna shake my fillings out...

What say ye?

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Shake, Rattle and Roll...
Reply #1 - 07/06/17 at 12:54:15

Sounds like a balance issue....or the tire bead is not seated properly.

Get the back wheel off the ground, put something close to the tread and watch to see if the tire is round when you rotate it.

The next step would be to take the wheel/tire assembly back off and have the it checked for balance.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 07/06/17 at 13:01:30

thanks Dave, I'll check for roundness...as far as checking for balance...remove wheel, make a stand or take it back to the shop and have them do it? I would assume they balance with the tire on correct?

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 07/06/17 at 13:17:39

Good motorcycle wheel balancers have low resistance bearings that allow the wheel to rotate better than the wheel bearings.

However......if your wheel shows a heavy spot just using your axle.....it definitely is time to take it to a shop and get a proper balance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTjnA1-LAcI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De1jXS-0Yj4

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 07/06/17 at 13:28:07

You should be able to get a ruff idea of balance by loosening the rear axle and shoving the wheel forward,then remove the left shock and take the belt off the rear pulley .Spin the tire by hand and mark where it stops several times, if stops at a different point each time ,it's probably in balance.If it tends to stop in the same area or rolls backward slightly just before stopping it might not be.( it may be the pulley).

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 07/11/17 at 11:51:49

So I went back to the shop that mounted them...told them what was what...they were a little off balance wise so they dropped off one of the weights off the front wheel...much better...
just a pain to have to take them back...
Curious tho' the back wheel has no weights at all on it...
Thx!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 09:31:26

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shake, Rattle and Roll...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.