Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Suggestions/possibility for a road trip (Read 228 times)
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Re: Suggestions/possibility for a road trip
Reply #15 - 07/08/17 at 16:53:24

hotrod wrote on 07/08/17 at 13:45:33:
About once a year I ride from NC to upstate NY---600 miles, on a Harley Sportster.  No windshield . 66 years old.  I hope to do this on the Savage one day. The big problem is how to pack gear on the thing. A larger tank would be nice.   The bike does the work.  I just sit on it.

And you have just spent another $1,000.00 or so to make it into a different bike!  And it still is not much more than a Savage when it is said and done.  Based on what you have suggested I can't see how it would be any more road worthy in Interstate travel.  It gets blown all over the place, and the frame and wheelbase send practically every road bump up to the rider.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #16 - 07/08/17 at 17:25:27

If you hate the S-40/Savage that much for long trips, why do you have one at all? Get a Gold Wing and a little Ninja and let us ride our bikes in ignorant bliss.
I did 5400 miles on my S-40 last July, and have long ago quit wrestling with 800lb bikes. I went from a Gold Wing to a Pacific Coast and while my S-40 does not ride as well on 800 mile days, it is set-up VERY comfy for me and ALOT easier to handle.
Actually, I just bought another -06', stock, with 998 miles, and will keep it mostly stock for short trips and running around after I sell the Pacific Coast.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 07/08/17 at 21:02:01

The older seat design is much better. I was hurting in forty miles on the 05. The trip home was nine hours, no misery.
Lifted front on the seat.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #18 - 07/09/17 at 08:37:25

If you want to spend all day doing 80 mph on the interstate and are looking to get into Bun Burner club and get 1,0000 miles in less than 24 hours - the Savage is not likely to be a great bike for the trip.

If you are willing to ride at 70 mph or less, and do a bit of work to get the Savage ready - it will do fine.  You also need to spend some time conditioning your body to spending seat time on the bike - take some shorter rides and work your way up to some half or all day rides before you leave.
]
Sure there are better touring and sport touring bikes - but if you own a Savage and want to take a long trip.......the bike will do it once it is mechanically prepared.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 07/09/17 at 08:46:22

Beat Duck..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #20 - 07/09/17 at 10:26:27

I just wish the Savage had a better seat.  I'm going to have to get mine recoverd soon.  It's 30 years old and the cover is beginning to split.

I'm gonna see if I can get the upholstery dude to bump up the thickness so it's pretty much level with the pillion seat and do a bit of reshaping to make it a little wider to distribute the weight a little better and maybe make it into an all day seat.

I wouldn't hesitate to go pretty much anywhere on my savage. It's not an all day interstate bike.  It's intended to be a back roads, country roads, around town bike. I hate riding the slab anyway.  Too many oblivious, uncaring idiots on it. The trip is much nicer if you can take your time and enjoy it. If planned right, the trip is its own reward in addition to the destination.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
hotrod

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NC
Reply #21 - 07/09/17 at 18:23:12

Adjust the clutch so you can put it in neutral from first gear with little effort. This helps when stopping at a toll booth.  Remember that you may have numbness in your hands, which can make it difficult to handle money at the toll booth or gas station.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #22 - 07/09/17 at 19:48:56

The stock seat is a killer ,I changed to a sportster seat and did N.Y. to tenn. and back 2100 miles in 4 days .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
kawazacky
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 07/10/17 at 19:32:32

Airhawk's seat is a very good solution for someone with seat problems, but well-placed foot controls help a lot too. And good handlebar placement.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 07/10/17 at 19:47:19

I think the buckhorn bars make it more comfortable.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 07:17:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Suggestions/possibility for a road trip

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.