Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Squealing noise when clutch is engaged? (Read 219 times)
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Re: Squealing noise when clutch is engaged?
Reply #15 - 07/08/17 at 17:04:51

If you align the marks as Suzuki expects and then you have misalignment problems of the belt/pulleys, then you have other problems, maybe loose pulleys, or bushings wore or something else.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 07/09/17 at 03:57:33

Check you swingarm marks and confirm that they are aligned.

Measure from the chrome caps for the swingarm pivot bolt to the axle on both sides......and see if they measure the same.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #17 - 07/09/17 at 20:37:48

The marks on the swingarm aren't right because your either spreading thr swingarm to put the wheel in or compressing it when you tighten the axle ,either way the ends are flexing which will change the length between them and the swingarm pivot point.If the bearing on the axle are good (2 wheel-1 pulley) and the spacer s are not damaged ,when you align the belt you also align the wheel( and tire if the rim has no runout).

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 07/10/17 at 00:54:47

The flex changes both sides.
And it's not to the width of a hair accurate.
No problem.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #19 - 07/10/17 at 11:49:27

JOG the flex may change both sides ,but if you look at the forward brace ,in front of the tire you'll see that the tire doesn't run in the center of the swingarm and the brace is asymmetrical where it's welded to the arms, it's longer on the side where the belt runs ,making the flex uneven.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 07/10/17 at 11:52:31

Consult Pythagoras, calculate the differences.
Inconsequential, IMO.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 07/10/17 at 12:22:12

batman wrote on 07/09/17 at 20:37:48:
The marks on the swingarm aren't right because your either spreading thr swingarm to put the wheel in or compressing it when you tighten the axle ,either way the ends are flexing which will change the length between them and the swingarm pivot point.If the bearing on the axle are good (2 wheel-1 pulley) and the spacer s are not damaged ,when you align the belt you also align the wheel( and tire if the rim has no runout).

Are you saying because the axle compresses (or spacers and hub expands) the distance between the forks that the length of the forks change?... a measurable amount?  I don't think you can measure the distance in Angstroms.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #22 - 07/11/17 at 00:00:18

True,but do you trust the marks to be accurate in the first place,We know there are differences in the size of main frames and I doubt we'll find  swingarms are welded the same either.Are the marks stamped before or after assembly?I 'm not about to listen to belt noise or risk damage to the belt ,to get a few more miles out of a tire that may or may not be misaligned .

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #23 - 07/12/17 at 15:54:22

batman wrote on 07/11/17 at 00:00:18:
True,but do you trust the marks to be accurate in the first place,We know there are differences in the size of main frames and I doubt we'll find  swingarms are welded the same either.Are the marks stamped before or after assembly?I 'm not about to listen to belt noise or risk damage to the belt ,to get a few more miles out of a tire that may or may not be misaligned .

I can't imagine any compression or expansion of the swingarm side to side could be that significant on the length of each arm.  Trig it out, and roughly it is a 2 to 1 (from my memory) would mean that compression of the arms (let's say .010) would only yield a length difference of only a few thousandths.  Hardly significant.

Besides aligning the rear wheel has more importance that just tire wear.  It also affects handling which is far more important.

In my mind, also, is the fact that this is a crucial issue so I still would trust Suzuki on the marks rather than just a lightly squealing belt.

Virtually impossible to measure oneself unless set up on a stand with a laser measuring device.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 07/12/17 at 17:26:06

"Virtually impossible to measure oneself unless set up on a stand with a laser measuring device."

Interesting you say that.  I did this on a 95 to check pulleys, tires, bearings.  So are you saying to use the swingarm marks to align a tire by making sure the marks are the same, or to just use the marks as a guide?

On my bike the swingarm marks are not aligned, but according to more modern technology the wheel/rim is.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #25 - 07/12/17 at 17:55:21

I am just saying that all of this alignment assumes that the frame and its locating points for the swingarm to attach to are in proper location AND that the swingarm was mfg. so that it is also uniform (i.e. not twisted or bowed or somehow mis-aligned from pivot points out to marks) AND that the marks are properly stamped in (probably after assy was welded and stress relieved).

It would be hard for any of us to measure any of this using any techniques that we as users might have.  I think it would take a CMM (Coordinate Measuring Machine) that would be large enough to accommodate the whole frame.)  Also important would be the steering stem in relation to the rear swingarm.  Its angle and precise position.

I once as a employee at a Honda dealer changed a tire for someone on a smaller bike and I didn't properly align the rear wheel to the marks and the customer knew it right off by its handling.  I corrected to marks and it worked fine then.  I am just saying that the rear adjustment and marks are there for rear wheel alignment to the frame, not to be ignored to get belt aligned or to keep from belt from squeaking.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 09:20:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Squealing noise when clutch is engaged?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.