Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Squealing noise when clutch is engaged? (Read 219 times)
kawazacky
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Squealing noise when clutch is engaged?
07/05/17 at 17:05:24

Hi guys,

Here's my first tech question.

Father-in-law's '97 Savage squeals a lot when clutch is engaged, at least at low speed. Seems like it's coming from the belt, but I can't say for sure.

At the same speeds, no noise at all when clutch is disengaged (lever pulled in).

Previous owner thought it was the tire last summer, changed to a new tire "that wouldn't rub on the belt," and the noise stayed the same.

Ideas? Would a belt dressing help? The noise comes in dry weather, not just wet weather.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Squealing noise when clutch is engaged?
Reply #1 - 07/05/17 at 17:22:15

Check for loose drive pulley ,it should be torqued to 94 ftlbs .check belt alignment, check for proper tension(don't use the guage that came in the tool pouch the belt will be to tight) you should be able to grab the middle bottom of the belt and twist it 90 degrees using just your thumb and one finger . If your lining up the belt on the rear pulley don't go by the marks on the swingarm ,spin the rear wheel forward and backward by hand ,until the belt tracks in the middle of the pulley.check the rear pulley when you have the bike jacked up ,grab it at 3 and 9 o'clock and wiggle it, if you have a lot of play the bearing may be bad.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/05/17 at 17:22:42

A belt too tight or misaligned will squeak.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kawazacky
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/05/17 at 18:01:34

How tricky is it to replace that bearing?

batman wrote on 07/05/17 at 17:22:15:
Check for loose drive pulley ,it should be torqued to 94 ftlbs .check belt alignment, check for proper tension(don't use the guage that came in the tool pouch the belt will be to tight) you should be able to grab the middle bottom of the belt and twist it 90 degrees using just your thumb and one finger . If your lining up the belt on the rear pulley don't go by the marks on the swingarm ,spin the rear wheel forward and backward by hand ,until the belt tracks in the middle of the pulley.check the rear pulley when you have the bike jacked up ,grab it at 3 and 9 o'clock and wiggle it, if you have a lot of play the bearing may be bad.

IP Logged
kawazacky
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/05/17 at 18:11:41

Ah, I see, it's similar to the sprocket carrier bearing on all their duallies.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 07/05/17 at 18:13:17

Start with getting the belt right.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/05/17 at 18:22:43

Ive had this exact issue, anyone that doesn't own or work regularly on one of these bikes always says its a bad bearing.  They are usually wrong.  Heres my recommendations:

1:  Remove all the belt covers and pulley cover, expose everything.

2:  Rub some canning wax on the belt and see if the noise reduces or stops- its probably the belt rubbing the pulley if it does. Wipe off the wax, don't keep a belt lubed.

3:  Check the pulley alignment on both front/back no matter what. Do it while having someone on the bike. I found having the belt closer to the interior of the rear pulley is better on my bikes.

4:  Check belt tension, use the video in the tech section.  A loose belt will yield more long term use than a tight one and its gotta be really really loose to skip teeth.

Mess with the bearing last, it takes some work but the belt checks are really easy to do.

The tire isn't rubbing the belt but too large of a tire can rub the swingarm.

IP Logged
kawazacky
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 07/05/17 at 18:37:22

The belt-on-tire idea sure sounded bogus to me, seeing that there was no evidence of wear on either the tire or the belt.

Eegore wrote on 07/05/17 at 18:22:43:
Ive had this exact issue, anyone that doesn't own or work regularly on one of these bikes always says its a bad bearing.  They are usually wrong.  Heres my recommendations:

1:  Remove all the belt covers and pulley cover, expose everything.

2:  Rub some canning wax on the belt and see if the noise reduces or stops- its probably the belt rubbing the pulley if it does. Wipe off the wax, don't keep a belt lubed.

3:  Check the pulley alignment on both front/back no matter what. Do it while having someone on the bike. I found having the belt closer to the interior of the rear pulley is better on my bikes.

4:  Check belt tension, use the video in the tech section.  A loose belt will yield more long term use than a tight one and its gotta be really really loose to skip teeth.

Mess with the bearing last, it takes some work but the belt checks are really easy to do.

The tire isn't rubbing the belt but too large of a tire can rub the swingarm.  

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/05/17 at 19:01:56

Yeah I cant imagine a tire somehow passes through the metal swingarm and touches the belt somehow.  

A tire expands with speed so if its really close to the swingarm it will rub on the interior right side.  If you aren't sure just put some tape inside the swingarm, cruise up to top speed and see if there's any tape stripped.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 07/06/17 at 06:36:29

+1 on the belt tension.  I had  squeal a couple of times over the years and both times it was a belt that was too tight. On one occasion it only took about a turn on each of the rear adjusters and that was enough to kill the squeal.

Remember though, you need the axle nut loosened and the rear tire up in the air for the loosening of the rear adjusters to take effect, then re tighten everything.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
kawazacky
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/06/17 at 18:31:23

Well I had 30 seconds to look at the bike tonight -- twisted the belt and it seemed like it was loose enough. Will inspect further over weekend.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 07/06/17 at 19:18:28

Gulf canning wax from the canning section at the grocery store.
Rub a little along both edges of the bottom of the belt. Since you're troubleshooting what you need to see is Change. So, to be sure, move the bike and do it until it is all dressed some.

It's okay to wax places you wouldn't wax if you were just trying to quieten the belt and you knew it was the belt.
The 05 wouldn't quit squawking, so I waxed.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #12 - 07/08/17 at 07:57:21

Disagree on  aligning the belt and ignoring the marks on the swingarm.  Those marks are there for aligning the wheels/tires TO EACH OTHER.  Not aligning per marks properly will result in improper, even dangerous tracking!

Belt tension is most important as others have correctly mentioned above. Most people make it too tight.

Also great advice above is checking the pulleys to make sure that they are tight to their respective mountings.

Rather than using wax or belt dressing, use a silicon spray.  I use a can of food grade silicon spray - probably purchased from McMaster-Carr.  Use it lots in a plastics factory that make plastic food containers.   It will not harm anything, and it will quickly tell you that it is probably not bearings but dried rubber to pulley noise - that's what mine was.

An application lasts me approx. 500 miles or so.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 07/08/17 at 08:21:05

I don't disagree.
But I know where to get wax.
Not sure about the spray.
I even explained Where to get the wax.

The swingarm marks may not be aligned.
Use them,if they are.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #14 - 07/08/17 at 17:03:12

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/08/17 at 08:21:05:
I don't disagree.
But I know where to get wax.
Not sure about the spray.
I even explained Where to get the wax.

The swingarm marks may not be aligned.
Use them,if they are.

The swingarm marks, again, are for wheel alignment, and not to be used for belt alignment.  I would think that Suzuki would have had better quality control and make these marks reliable for what they were intended for - has much to do with handling safety.

The brand of spray can of silicon I use was "Sprayon" and a quick Internet search it (along with other brands such as LPS) is sold at Grainger and even listed as a Wal-Mart product.  Using the NON-food grade version is even cheaper.  Around $6.00 per can and very easy to apply.  Spin the wheel and spray the belt as it goes by!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 07:26:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Squealing noise when clutch is engaged?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.