Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Gas leaking, reason unknown (Read 342 times)
whitesavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gas leaking, reason unknown
07/05/17 at 13:19:18

Hi guys,

writing from faraway Estonia (Europe, that is).
Today I noticed a problem with my Suzuki LS650P, from 2005 - as I pulled the bike from garage, pulled out choke and started the engine, I noticed a gas leak. It was clearly running along the fuel hose and then dripping below. It seemed to be coming from some place above the petcock. When I stopped the engine, the leak stopped. Then tried again and started the engine (then without the choke), the leak started again. Afterwards I went back to garage to check and there were no signs of gas leak, so it seems that it leaked only while running.

It's my first bike and I bought it this spring and haven't been able to ride it much (besides bringing it home with my brother and rolling a bit on the little street in front of the house) as I'm waiting for my driving license. So I'm a total newb in this, but already know that a gas leak like this is definitely not okay... The bike was brought from the US in 2007 and has some small rust marks that are waiting to be dealt with. Although I don't think that there's rust under the gas tank that causes the leak, because the bike doesn't seem to be leaking when standing still. And it has been standing still in my garage for about a month before today.
The tank is rather full and oil was changed this spring.

The fuel hose seems fine, not dry or cracked. The petcock is set to "on". It was really hard to tell where did the gas come from, "above the petcock" is my best guess for now.

Do you have any ideas what could be the cause? I see that the petcock is a problem on these bikes and I have a stock one, I guess. Could that be it? Or could there be a problem or jamming in the carb? Although there was no leak on the carb itself. Or is it still the tank, somehow?
I think the leak was definitely not there when we rode it home at the end of May. Then I also put the tank full.

I would appreciate any help.

DA3C6432DF5FCA92D73EBF07691A7A43EFC5C93E6F5FA5501Epimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Re: Gas leaking, reason unknown
Reply #1 - 07/05/17 at 13:50:48

don't hear about leaks too much, but I'd replace the automatic petcock with a manual and avoid that problem that seems inevitable.  It is an easy swap and may fix the leak too.

Can't think of a place on the petcock that would leak from above the output line, unless the little gaskets s at the tank are missing or the screws are loose.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/05/17 at 13:52:30

Because it happens when the bike is on, most likely the leak will be either on the diaphragm or on the outlet hose.  the diaphragm is on the backside and is vacuum operated.  there's a valve in there and allows gas to it when on.  replacing the gasket isn't hard, just use a gas proof adhesive instead.

but we'd recommend just replacing the petcock anyway.  if it's over 5 years old, depending on your type of gas (we have ethanol) it's due to fail anyway.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 07/05/17 at 19:33:36

I'd replace the fuel line also as it looks to have been shortened (it looks kinked where it goes on the petcock, and there's two different style clamps ) and it may be rotting on the inside due to age.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #4 - 07/05/17 at 19:59:23

As you may have read on this forum, the best replacement petcock is the Yamaha 660 Raptor type. Get the genuine one and don't get a cheaper or smaller version off EBAY or similar. I'm surprised Verslagen or one of the others haven't given you the Yamaha part number.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 07/07/17 at 21:20:07

YAMAHA RAPTOR 660-yfm660r part # 5LP-24500-01-00

IP Logged
whitesavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/10/17 at 11:45:21

Thank you very much for the advice and the petcock number. Haven't been able to check for some possible loose screws under the tank as I unfortunately sprained my knee and need a mechanic myself at the moment  Roll Eyes
But what's your experience - I guess it's necessary to remove the tank to check for the tank gaskets or screws..? Otherwise I wouldn't able to see what's exactly happening down there? Or could you check these joints without removing the tank?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/10/17 at 11:56:38

It's possible to change the petcock without removing the tank.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/10/17 at 14:19:01

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/10/17 at 11:56:38:
It's possible to change the petcock without removing the tank.

You only need to take out the 2 screws holding it to the tank and replace with the new one.  Just drain the tank first of course.  Then cut the vacuum line to the carb, fold it over and hose-clamp it.

All this can be done from a chair, nothing other than the stock petcock needs to come off.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 07/10/17 at 23:51:36

Any auto parts store sells plug caps for vacuum lines, for cheap, buy two and put the spare in your tool kit,as they due tend to fail,BUT mine is on year four .

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #10 - 07/11/17 at 13:10:42

I had a similar gas leak on my 2005 last summer. My wife kept complaining about the gas smell when I parked it in the garage (it's lived it's 8 years that I've had it in my garage so far without a problem) but I thought it might be the o-ring gasket to the Raptor petcock. Mine tended to have gas residue at the base where the seat meets the tank. I removed and examined the Raptor, not the problem. Rode it all last summer, thinking it was primarily the gas fumes from the vent in the cap.

Fast forward to this spring, I stripped the bike to repaint and when I put it back together fuel kept puking out the vent tubes. (See my post about that for more details) I ended up thoroughly cleaning the carb and replacing the needle/seat and it solved my problem. It seems my needle/seat was slightly leaking last year and ended up completely stuck this year.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #11 - 07/12/17 at 15:39:35

batman wrote on 07/10/17 at 23:51:36:
Any auto parts store sells plug caps for vacuum lines, for cheap, buy two and put the spare in your tool kit,as they due tend to fail,BUT mine is on year four .

My local AutoZone offered a "kit" of various sizes. No individual sizes so I bought the kit for around $2.00.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
NitehawkCE
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kentucky
Reply #12 - 07/13/17 at 10:45:04

Do not lose the washers under the two screws for the petcock. They aren't really washers. Suzuki calls them gaskets. A standard metal washer will allow fuel to leak out around the screw. Trust me.  Grin

IP Logged
whitesavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 07/13/17 at 11:08:21

Oohh, good advice.
Now my next task is to find a decent petcock and try to order it, takes some time to arrive here. I see mostly offers from the US which means I pay the same amount for shipping as I pay for the petcock itself, heh. Try to search better, there should be something nearer to me, too.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 07/13/17 at 17:17:49

Yamaha dealership

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 13:35:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas leaking, reason unknown

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.