Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Gas leaking, reason unknown (Read 342 times)
whitesavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Gas leaking, reason unknown
Reply #15 - 07/23/17 at 06:17:15

Gas leaking reason known now:
Hehe, guess I should've checked the hose better... newb mistake perhaps. It seemed fine when I checked, touched and twisted it the first time, but the second time removed the clamp fully and saw that there was a small crack beneath the clamp. My new Yamaha Raptor petcock has already arrived and well, now I have a spare petcock. But as you say that it's a faulty system anyhow, I don't mind having a spare petcock. It's just that I probably don't have to change it because of this leak immediately.

Thanks for the advice!

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 07/23/17 at 08:20:02

It takes about 5 minutes to change that petcock out, after you drain the tank.  Personally seeing how many people have problems with the stock one I'd just change it now, or keep the raptor and a screwdriver/spare fuel canister with you at all times to avoid a fuel related issue leaving you walking the bike home.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #17 - 07/23/17 at 09:56:15

Or you could simply turn the stock petcock to prime , cut  the vacuum hose in half and plug both ends( two golf tees or bolts ,two small wire ties )and ride home.

« Last Edit: 07/23/17 at 20:04:40 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 07/24/17 at 05:16:24

True but my way sounds much more inconvenient.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 07/24/17 at 07:21:40

Yeah, and we all know how we strive to make inconvenient the operative word.
Just swap it out and be done or wait till you have to pull the tank to do the valves.
Prepare a place to set the tank up high enough to not kink the speedometer cable.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #20 - 07/26/17 at 08:37:57

I did all that.  It turned out to be a leaky seam in the gas tank welds.  'new' dented tank and it runs fine.  not always the obvious.

Be well,
Wink

Mich Cdr II 140/90R & 100/90F, raised seat, windscreen, clubman bars, T-Kat brace, Raptor, HD 64707-08, thumb decomp,
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 07/26/17 at 08:55:12

Can you fix it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 07/26/17 at 08:59:45

Two words: Red Kote

IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #23 - 07/26/17 at 15:54:41

Oh, I fixed it, finally with a new 'dents no leaks' tank off ebay, after the problem because evident.  Just saying.  Had a 'battery' problem that turned out to be a starter problem that turned out to  be a wiring problem, and I fixed that too... noting that the help here was more than enough to do it better than right too.  this is the place for Savage answers.

thanks.   Wink

Mich Cdr II 140/90R & 100/90F, raised seat, windscreen, clubman bars, T-Kat brace, Raptor, HD 64707-08, thumb decomp,
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 07/26/17 at 19:26:15

More than two words:  Red Kote will more than likely seal your original tank for less than you spent on that dented tank.  If your leaking tank isn't dented, and you prefer it to the dented tank, then Red Kote is what you want.  

If you like dented tanks, that's cool too.  The vintage GT185 tank I put on my bike has a few dents, some scratches and a little bit of fading. One of my coworkers is on my tushy for NOT fixing it and putting a slick hot rod paint job on.  I love my tank just the way it is.  It's dented, shows it's age, it's authentic to the bike I built, and doesn't leak.  It's perfect!  Smiley

IP Logged
wakosama

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX
Reply #25 - 07/26/17 at 19:54:28

Thanks,

The Red Kote was recommended for the cracked weld back then, but I wasn't sure it would work first time for me.  my girls actually got me the tank.  it was advertised as "dents no leaks". Ride-able is best now, and I'm less worried about cosmetics now too. Not the prettiest guy around anymore either. I can accept both.  Maybe I could sell it: "leaks no dents".   Roll Eyes

be well...

IP Logged
whitesavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 08/27/17 at 11:45:06

Ooh, back to my previous topic... as it first seemed that only the hose was cracked and leaked, I changed only the hose.
But tonight I got quite some experience - standing by the road for the very first time. At first I thought that something really bad was going on, I heard two bangs and then stopped by the road, the bike not starting again. After a while and one helpful gentleman later, the bike started and I could drive about 500 metres and the same thing occurred (ok, without the bangs, but stopping just the same). After consulting with my well-experienced friends, I checked the gas level (there was some gas, although not much) and switched to reserve - and thanks to this, I am now home. And very grateful.

So I guess that yes, this is now the time to change the petcock! Or is it just a quirk of this bike that when the gas level goes rather low (but it's not out of gas), it doesn't get gas normally anymore?
Maybe I'm just so much newb that I ran out of gas like a normal newb does at least once Cheesy
I do hope that all this was only gas-related because I was quite afraid of something more serious at the moment.

Two other lessons: always take your phone with you! And always stop and ask whether someone needs help. Thanks a lot to the guy who stopped.

IP Logged
whitesavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 08/27/17 at 11:50:48

PS. Does your bike sometimes make banging noises? Sometimes, for example, when I come home and stop the bike, I hear something that sounds like someone chopping wood. Once, like one thump.
And for a couple of times (not only in the last stopping case, but before, too) I have heard some bang noises when riding. Perhaps it happened when changing gears at higher speeds, but I don't know exactly. Not often. I'm just wondering whether it's something really bad or is it somehow normal.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #28 - 08/27/17 at 15:20:46

Whitesavage, when you "run out of gas " the carb goes lean ,the bike misfires ,and the lean mix is pushed into the hot exhaust pipe and explodes (after fire) the backfire noise you heard.then if you put the bike on the sidestand to try restarting,you shifted fuel in the tank toward the petcock which allowed enough fuel to ride another 500meters before it quit again, then you found reserve. some times if you feel the motor missing you can turn the petcock quickly to reserve before it dies .So yes the "backfire" you heard is normal and could be somewhat louder than what you hear at idle when you turn the bike off .the banging noise or thumping you hear while shifting could be the fact that your shifting to a higher gear to early and opening the throttle to wide ,that will cause a knock -knock sound until the speed increases.try raising the speeds you shift at by 5-10 mph .

« Last Edit: 09/01/17 at 21:17:50 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 13:41:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas leaking, reason unknown

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.