Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New to me S40 ,need to solve rough running issue (Read 185 times)
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
New to me S40 ,need to solve rough running issue
06/29/17 at 15:54:19

Hi all, I have been reading on this forum for close to a year and finally got an s40, 2005 with 4K miles. Had many bikes since the late 70s, mostly Italian but have been intrigued by a big thumper.

So far I am preparing by ordering stuff like a raptor petcock, oil filters, Batterytender Lithium battery.

The bike starts, just barely runs and it is very rough and I can not give it gas, wont rev or make any power.
It sat for not sure how long since last running, probably a year or so in a garage.
Battery is weak even after charging but it cranks fine if I have jumper cables attached to another battery in one of my other bikes.
This weekend I will probably have the raptor and replace the petcock and if that does not resolve the problem I will drop the float bowl and clean the carb a bit.
I would appreciate any feedback as to other usual or possible causes.
I will be changing the oil with rotella t4 this weekend too.

Thanks,
antmanbee

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Re: New to me S40 ,need to solve rough running iss
Reply #1 - 06/29/17 at 19:01:07

Sounds like you have a good plan.
Things to keep in mind:
- if you have the battery out, you're only 4 10mm bolts away from removing the battery box, which makes it much easier to either remove or clean the carb.
- Place a towel over the starter and transmission as to catch small parts as gravity sucks them out of the carb. I had one fastener that fell through a small hole on the left side and then on to the belt, and I had to remove the front pulley cover to rescue it.
- Budget for replacing the carb fasteners(I think there are 8). The stock fasteners are JIS ("Phillips-like") screw heads, and they tend to get rounded easy. If have to go back in to the carb, you'll thank yourself for replacing them with hex-key fasteners.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 06/30/17 at 07:07:11

Saying this from having done it a lot and knowing it's not that difficult, I would clean the carb regardless to eliminate that as being any part of the problem. No telling what could be in there if it sat from the previous owner.

- You may need an impact driver to get the screws loose to open the carb. As noted, they are JIS screws but you can grind the tip of a phillips bit to make it fit these JIS screws a bit better and lessen the chance of stripping them out. As available, replaces with allen screws as 1st2know indicated.
- Be careful with the plunger, Don't tear it or poke a hole in it, and when reinstalling in the clean carb make sure there is no grease or fingerprints on the carb body or slide. Little things can cause the slide to stick.  Personally I cleaned mine with WD40 and lightly dried with a lint free cloth. Make sure you put it back in correctly with the little nib in the diaphragm top in the associated nib in the top of the carb where it seats and seals.

Once you have a clean carb, fresh new fuel, raptor, we can tell if it is then another issue such as jetting?  Best to do one thing at a time and isolate the issue than doing a laundry list of things at once, but a petcock change and carb cleaning are a must regardless.

Lastly, in case you're thinking about it DON'T connect to a car battery with a car running as it can be too much juice for these bikes. Connecting to a non-running car is OK, just don't crank the car up.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/30/17 at 07:36:50

As the fuel in the float bowl goes bad/stale/evaporates during storage....the small hole in the pilot jet is the first thing to plug up, and in extreme cases the main can also become clogged/corroded/gunked up.

Bringing any bike out of storage should include a complete carb cleaning, and inspection of the rubber parts.  The diaphragm in the TEV valve can become very stiff as it ages, the tip of the float needle can become stiff and cracked, etc.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Reply #4 - 06/30/17 at 09:34:16

Does someone know off the top of their head what the size of the carb bolts are and how many so I can pick up a set on my way home?

My cheap ass jumper cables wont pass enough current to start a car so it is doubtful they could damage anything. But I am using the battery in my unstarted Guzzi that is parked next to the s40 for the jumping.

The bike was owned by a woman and it appears that she made no mods at all so it more than likely has stock jetting and the exhaust is stock.

I hope the raptor mostly cures the problem as I don't want to get into the carb this weekend if I don't have to. I know I will be into the carb later as I plan to probably add a dyna and switch to a pod.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/30/17 at 10:27:09

An 05 with 4,000 miles.
Unless someone got it running to sell, bet on the carb being crappy, especially if someone intended to
Keep it Alive
By starting it occasionally. Every time they started it they filled the bowl, only to let it evaporate and gunk up the innards.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 06/30/17 at 11:46:19

Courtesy of Dave:

f4fwg9.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 06/30/17 at 12:24:52

clean the junk from around the sparkplug before removal,clean and check the gap .031 to .035

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Reply #8 - 06/30/17 at 14:59:15

Thanks for the picture of the carb. Just what I needed.
Are stainless recommended or steel of what spec for the bolts?
I'll be sure to blow out the debris from the plug hole.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 06/30/17 at 15:02:56

Stainless Steel Allen head bolts.
Use antisieze.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 07/01/17 at 05:57:55

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #11 - 07/01/17 at 07:55:32

I would suggest purchasing the stainless screws/bolts from McMaster-Carr.  You do have to buy quantities (5 per pack, etc. for example) but the overall cost will probably be less than "package deals."  I had replaced virtually all external screws/bolts on my BMW from them.

I have dealt with M-Carr for literally for years and NEVER had an issue!

They have a great catalog online and ship to anywhere.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Reply #12 - 07/01/17 at 08:08:26

I have a fastenal store near by and have got some stainless for my Guzzi from them. I will look over the bike and maybe do some other stainless replacements too besides the carb.

IP Logged
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Reply #13 - 07/01/17 at 09:59:48

Pulled the carb off and dropped the bowl.

Pretty gunked up.

IMG_0714.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 07/01/17 at 10:48:35

Well, There's yer Prawblum!

Stolen from Mythbusters.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 07:23:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New to me S40 ,need to solve rough running issue

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.