Where to start?? (Read 337 times)
Maine413
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Where to start??
06/28/17 at 22:16:46

Hey all,

I'm excited to be a part of a another forum, and even more excited to have a new bike that led me here. Please pardon me if I missed the thread where I could get this information. I did search a little, but I thought I'd also use this time to introduce myself.

I've been riding for what seems like most of my life. I've owned a few CBRs and an R6, but I just recently picked up a ls650 😎. I have a few years of racing under my belt, thanks to WERA. I've ridden bikes all over the world, from Haiti to India. Needless to say, I LOVE bikes, and I'm really excited about my new project bike.

My new love is a 1996 ls650 with 2300 original miles. I'm not sure exactly what's in her past, but from what I was told from the seller she's been sitting for 10+ years. That being said, she doesn't run and I have no idea where to start to her her running. There was gas left in the tank, and it's rusted out, so my first order of business at the moment is getting a new. I also removed the carburetor, and I plan to clean that thoroughly before trying to get her start.

So, where do I start? Forgive me if I missed a sticky that already explains this. I'd love to read up on it, if you can provide me with a link.

Cheers Cheesy

IMG_116706917118540.jpeg
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Re: Where to start??
Reply #1 - 06/28/17 at 22:59:31

The tank, is obviously a major issue, but you may find one in the marketplace section of this forum, if not then it's a wrecker. There are basic tips both in Rubber Side Down and the technical section. You could remove the rusted tank and oil the cylinder bore. Clean around the spark plug before you remove it, you could also remove the tappet covers and check clearances and then squirt some oil around those areas in the hope some might find its way onto the cam lobes. There are some that say change the oil and filter before starting a long standing engine, others say don't. While the spark plug is out, you could put it in gear and rotate the rear wheel to see that the engine is free.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Maine413
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/28/17 at 23:03:00

Thanks! I've already removed the tank, and will be ordering a replacement soon. I'll look into everything else that you suggested as well.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/28/17 at 23:05:29

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/11/17 at 19:50:26:
the starter motor RPM will tell you if it's got enough compression to run.

If it's not hitting and the RPM doesn't speed up and slow down, the load isn't changing, maybe you need to fog the cylinder and protect your engine.
After that, put a plug in the engine, but hook the plug wire to your Plug that BELONGS in the engine and hold it against the motor and hit start.
Now you know if the ignition system will make a spark at that voltage and load on the starter.
If you have spark, put it in, and if you have a stock petcock, put it on prime.
If it's not hitting,
Check the air filter and shoot some ether in it.
And the battery can't fall very low and still make a spark.
The starter motor has to be spinning to know how low it's going.

put a volt meter on the battery, if it falls below 10v, stop and recharge.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/28/17 at 23:08:09

Maine413 wrote on 06/28/17 at 23:03:00:
Thanks! I've already removed the tank, and will be ordering a replacement soon. I'll look into everything else that you suggested as well.

if you have a wrecker near by, a kawasaki vn750 is a close fit.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 06/29/17 at 01:33:54

I am one that recommends that you don't change the oil before you get it started the first time.  If you drain the oil and remove the filter....you won't get any oil flow until the pump all the air in the filter and filter housing is pushed out by the fresh oil....and those first few seconds of oil flow are very critical to all the parts that have been dormant for 10 years.  In that long period of storage the protective oil film on the bearings, rockers, cam and piston has likely dripped off or evaporated.  There also seems to be a lot of cams that are damaged by rust where the rockers are resting on the cam during long periods of storage.

As others have said it is important to oil the piston and cylinder before you attempt to start the bike - I use Sta-Bil Fogging oil days/weeks before I attempt to bring a bike back to life.....and I recommend you use it when you put a bike away for winter storage.  You should also remove the valve adjustment cap on the cylinder head and squirt oil on the camshaft and rockers.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 06/29/17 at 08:32:11

I  would be tempted to change the oil if the bike has been sitting that long ,If your in Maine ,(or anywhere else )the temperature change and age would kill any chance of the oil being anything but useless. I would however not change the filter,so as not to empty it. I would also jack or hang the rear of the bike and add the new oil through the rear valve inspection opening there by flooding the cam area. Fogging the cylinder is a must do .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
SoC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #7 - 06/29/17 at 09:08:01

Maine413, If you are looking for a tank, another member rich8363 is doing a Ryca build and as of earlier this month had his original tank for sale at a reasonable price. If you search Ryca Build his posts will come up, he has been active with it of late.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #8 - 06/29/17 at 09:21:49

I have a full set of tins from my 96 listed in the market place if you are keeping it stock.  I was hoping to keep them together as a set since the paint is in good shape and there are no dings or dents.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 06/29/17 at 13:47:46

Is your tank rusted through ?  As in, it has a hole/holes in it ?
If not, then you can get some muriatic acid and remove ALL rust in very short order; only takes a couple of minutes; then flush with water.

If you do want another tank, I have a spare tank as well that is in excellent condition.  It is a light grey with a hint of green.  $50+shp.

IP Logged
Maine413
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/29/17 at 20:29:00

It's not rusted through. I've already picked an aftermarket tank, and the rust was my excuse for buying it :-D. But I think it'd be wise to clean the old tank, and make sure I can get it to run before I start investing in parts. I'll keep you all posted.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #11 - 06/30/17 at 06:52:03

LANCER wrote on 06/29/17 at 13:47:46:
Is your tank rusted through ?  If not, then you can get some muriatic acid and remove ALL rust in very short order; only takes a couple of minutes; then flush with water.

I recently did this for a friend's 4 wheeler that was rusted out pretty bad. First did a cleaning with apple cider vinegar, then learned that muriatic acid works MUCH faster and looks like a horror movie with the smoke drifting out.  Wink

Immediately after muriatic acid, I rinsed well with a degreaser and then with two rinses of acetone, them immediately followed that with two coats of Red-Kote (each coat separated by 24 hours of drying time).  Seems to be holding up well!

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #12 - 06/30/17 at 15:44:57

Hi Maine413. I like the pic in the first post. Bit different to Savage style! Cool

IP Logged
Maine413
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 06/30/17 at 15:55:08

I appreciate it. The reason I wanted a Savage is because I won't be tempted to be stupid when I ride. I'm mature enough to know that I'm not mature enough. 😁

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 06/30/17 at 16:53:04

The limitations of the Savage are my limiters. I'm reading
Twist of the Wrist II, and it's teaching me how to get more out of the Savage. But the last thing I need is a machine that will spin the tire and wheelie coming out of a turn.
Maybe one day I'll have a Kawasaki 250..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 14:15:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Where to start??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.