Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Details about the ship crash (Read 170 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Details about the ship crash
06/28/17 at 11:15:39

Exclusive: U.S. warship stayed on deadly collision course despite warning ...

WORLD NEWS | Mon Jun 26, 2017 | 10:51am EDT
Exclusive: U.S. warship stayed on deadly collision course despite warning - container ship captain

By Tim Kelly | TOKYO
A U.S. warship struck by a container vessel in Japanese waters failed to respond to warning signals or take evasive action before a collision that killed seven of its crew, according to a report of the incident by the Philippine cargo ship's captain.

Multiple U.S. and Japanese investigations are under way into how the guided missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald and the much larger ACX Crystal container ship collided in clear weather south of Tokyo Bay in the early hours of June 17.

In the first detailed account from one of those directly involved, the cargo ship's captain said the ACX Crystal had signaled with flashing lights after the Fitzgerald "suddenly" steamed on to a course to cross its path.

REUTERS RECOMMENDS

How the Federal Reserve serves U.S. foreign intelligence

Supreme Court revives Trump travel ban

Google set to face record EU antitrust fine

leftright
2/2leftright
FILE PHOTO: The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald, damaged by colliding with a Philippine-flagged merchant vessel, is towed into the U.S. naval base in Yokosuka, south of Tokyo, Japan June 17, 2017. REUTERS/Toru Hanai/File Photo
1/2leftright
2/2leftright
1/2
The container ship steered hard to starboard (right) to avoid the warship, but hit the Fitzgerald 10 minutes later at 1:30 a.m., according to a copy of Captain Ronald Advincula's report to Japanese ship owner Dainichi Investment Corporation that was seen by Reuters.

The U.S. Navy declined to

See a problem?
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-navy-asia-exclusive-idUSKBN19H13C

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Details about the ship crash
Reply #1 - 06/28/17 at 13:21:25

So who fell asleep?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #2 - 06/28/17 at 14:11:21

he container ship steered hard to starboard (right) to avoid the warship, but hit the Fitzgerald 10 minutes later

The Fits was crossing left to right.
The cargo ship turned right.

Wrong way.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #3 - 06/28/17 at 15:13:14

Did the destroyer think the ship was a North Korean cargo vessel?  I am highly suspicious of this "accident."  Since Remember the Maine days (I just missed them) till now, the sinking or an attack on a US Navy vessel is used as a pretext for engaging in war (or conflict as is the fashion these days). Cool Cool

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 06/28/17 at 15:50:31

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/28/17 at 14:11:21:
he container ship steered hard to starboard (right) to avoid the warship, but hit the Fitzgerald 10 minutes later

Wrong way.

How we managed to get run over isn't yet known, at least not by me.
Inexcusable IMO.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #5 - 06/28/17 at 19:58:53

Quote:

Wrong way.

IF that's the case then the container ship had the right-of-way I think.

That means that the Fitzgerald had the obligation to maneuver( give way) to avoid a collision.

That doesn't mean the container ship was precluded from also changing course to try to avoid a crash, but it would have been within its rights to have maintained course, I believe.

But JOG is correct. a hard turn to port in an attempt to pass astern of the Fitzgerald would have made more sense than a turn to starboard.

Of course all of this assumes that the container ship captain's version of events is accurate - and truthful.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/29/17 at 06:05:25

Turn right!

My right or your right?

--Steve

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 06/29/17 at 06:12:05

What little I could see in pictures agreed with the description. I have exactly Zero knowledge about how many feet the bow of a cargo ship will deflect one way or another in ten minutes of Emergency Turn. But, if it's over half of the length of our ship, then they hit us for no reason.
Regardless, a military ship that gets snuck upon by something so Not Stealthy? Naah.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #8 - 06/29/17 at 06:27:26

Paraquat wrote on 06/29/17 at 06:05:25:
Turn right!

My right or your right?

--Steve

Just like right and left in a car(or a motorcycle). Right is the drivers right sitting in the seat facing forward, left is the drivers left. Stand in the bow of a ship facing forward, starboard is the side of the ship on your right, port on the left. The direction the car, or ship, is traveling  relative to any other vehicle is is immaterial with regard to which side is which.

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #9 - 06/29/17 at 07:14:18

Pretty likely that everyone on board was asleep.
http://freebeacon.com/national-security/freighter-autopilot-hit-us-destroyer/
"Private naval analyst Steffan Watkins said the course data indicates the ship was running on autopilot. "The ACX Crystal  powered out of the deviation it performed at 1:30, which was likely the impact with the USS Fitzgerald, pushing it off course while trying to free itself from being hung on the bow below the waterline," Watkins told the Free Beacon.
The ship then continued to sail on for another 15 minutes, increasing speed before eventually reducing speed and turning around. "This shows the autopilot was engaged because nobody would power out of an accident with another ship and keep sailing back on course. It’s unthinkable," he added.
Watkins said the fact that the merchant ship hit something and did not radio the coast guard for almost 30 minutes also indicates no one was on the bridge at the time of the collision.

What happen to the above ?

Is the, ’new’,  ’Statement’, by the Container Ship,
                  a  Big  C.Y.A.  ?

The insurance, for the damage to the ship problem, not much, (Relativity)
But the Law Suits, and claims , on all the Cargo.
 (Not getting their on time, Damage, Perished, etc, etc)
Have got to be  Huge.

"Nop, Nop,  Not my fault, the other guys fault”

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 06/29/17 at 09:12:31

oldNslow wrote on 06/29/17 at 06:27:26:
Just like right and left in a car(or a motorcycle). Right is the drivers right sitting in the seat facing forward, left is the drivers left. Stand in the bow of a ship facing forward, starboard is the side of the ship on your right, port on the left. The direction the car, or ship, is traveling  relative to any other vehicle is is immaterial with regard to which side is which.

I was just being silly. I think it was originally a Three Stooges quote, but I've seen it in Once Upon a Time in Mexico and I think Rush Hour.

I took the boater's class. Right, return, red.

--Steve

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #11 - 06/29/17 at 18:02:15

Here's more:

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/why-the-destroyer-crash-that-killed-seven-u-...

My take:

The crew of the Fitzgerald fu*ked up.
The Captain of the container ship is lying. He wasn't on the bridge( even if he claims he was) so he has no first hand knowledge of what happened. I still suspect that no one on the container ship was monitoring the autopilot.

From the analysis:

"Most likely, the Crystal was traveling faster than the destroyer and headed in the same direction. By being on a perpendicular angle to the destroyer the Crystal would have provided a constant bearing to Fitzgerald with decreasing range. Not a good situation, especially in a crowded shipping lane with plenty of contacts to keep watch over. It is very possible that the contact number assigned to ACX Crystal had been at the same bearing for some time and deemed not a threat while the range was steadily decreasing.

The ship’s crew could very well have been focused on other maneuvering contacts who may have appeared to present a more significant threat to the ship and missed the closing of the Crystal until it was too late."

Constant bearing,decreasing range is the precise definition of a radar contact that is on a collision course with the vessel on who's radar that contact is seen. Misinterpreting,or ignoring such a contact is about as big a fu*k-up as there is.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #12 - 06/29/17 at 19:53:48

Radar has a built in automated collisions advoidance alarm.
It will track targets in its own, and sound off when it deems it a threat.
This happens regardless of range settings of the screen, sorta running in the background if you are in a single screen enhanced, or close range, which in heavy traffic one might find helpful.
However, speed and weight, etc, make it pretty useless other than very slow maneuvering in tight quarters.
Also, you would have more than one radar up and watched that would give you an out, under all the known factors.

Seems like lots of folks were asleep st the wheel, for this takes more than one mans fault.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #13 - 06/29/17 at 20:05:55

Is there a way to get a list of the vessels in the area at the time?

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 06/30/17 at 05:06:51

Does anyone else watch the show Air Disasters ? Interesting show. One thing they pointed out when disasters occurs, there are at least two events that occur that bring a plane down, not a single one.

If someone fell asleep at the wheel so to speak, it might have been because someoelse messed up a job and that watchman had to pull a doubleshift or something like that.

Great show to watch. System design is difficult. hard to predict and account for all the variables.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 05:28:57

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Details about the ship crash

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.