Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bike quit for no apparent reason, any ideas? (Read 137 times)
wiscoz88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wisconsin
Bike quit for no apparent reason, any ideas?
06/26/17 at 12:56:30

Started the morning out with no issues, got the bike warmed up and headed out to work. 20 minutes into the ride, I pulled up to a stoplight and my bike quickly idled down to nothing. I’d been sitting at a couple stoplights just before this and had no issue. No obvious answers that I could see – I didn’t bump the kill switch, fuel switch is set to ‘on’, bike has at least half a tank of gas…also the battery is only a few months old.

I pulled the choke all the way out, flipped the fuel switch to prime and tried to restart – tried turning over a couple times without success but I cranked the throttle on the third try and managed to get it back up and running. Once I got to work, I let it go back down to idle to see what happened, but it seemed to be back to normal. Idling sounded fine and it sat at least 30 seconds without quitting again (fuel switch set to 'on' and choke off). Hoping I can get some ideas on what might have happened, or where to start troubleshooting. Thanks!

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: Bike quit for no apparent reason, any ideas?
Reply #1 - 06/26/17 at 13:10:07

Wizcos,
If it were my bike I would install a genuine Yamaha raptor petcock.
They are cheap insurance. You can get the part #off this site but be sure not to get a Chinese knock off.

The Suzuki petcock is a funky device and will give trouble sooner or later. It may not be your problem but at least you will have eliminated the number one cause of fuel problems.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 06/26/17 at 13:21:10

I don't believe I would have used the choke on a hot engine right off the bat.....I would have tried the PRI position without the choke first.

And you should probably put a golf tee and a proper sized vacuum cap in your tool kit -  so you can bypass the stock vacuum petcock if it acts up and makes you stranded.  (Remove the vacuum line, plug the line and the nipple, turn the petcock to PRI and you will be able to ride the bike home).

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 06/26/17 at 13:31:38

The really important question is how long have you had the bike and have been riding it with no issue, and have you done ANY work to the bike, particularly the carb or air intake?  Air/mix screw adjustments?

I recently had a carb issue where mine was dying at long idles and ended up diagnosing it as a rich mixture at idle due to a slightly high needle jet.

Do you see soot on your rear brake adjustment arm or see poofs of black smoke when it restarts after this happens?  Soot/dark smoke is sign of rich mixture and flooding, but there is no guarantee it is the needle jet or pilot jet or air/mix screw without further diagnosis.

OR as others have noted it may simply be a petcock starting to fail.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 06/26/17 at 14:51:14

Dave wrote on 06/26/17 at 13:21:10:
I don't believe I would have used the choke on a hot engine right off the bat.....I would have tried the PRI position without the choke first.

YUP! and this is why you had to "cranked the throttle" to get to start... you flooded it.

WWW   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #5 - 06/26/17 at 19:15:45

Perhaps look under the seat and the cover near the ignition switch for loose wires, chek the earth strap  for tightness

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
wiscoz88
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wisconsin
Reply #6 - 06/29/17 at 08:42:56

Thanks for the info on the rookie mistake I made... Cheesy

I probably should have mentioned that I did install the raptor petcock about three months ago, so can rule that out as being the cause. I've had the bike 3 years and other than what led to replacing the stock petcock, have had no issues. Haven’t touched the carb/air intake but would that be a good place to start?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 06/29/17 at 09:43:52

Air filter

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 06/30/17 at 19:12:39

I f you've never done anthing to the bike (carb) your running the lean factory setting . ( it  idled at the two stoplights before ) in city traffic? Maybe it was running hotter than normal and just stalled ,Maybe you should adjust the mix screw?rejet?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 07/01/17 at 05:49:03

Check the safety cut-outs...
You can bypass them with a jumper wire.
Clutch is at the handlebar lever, and sidestand connector is under the seat...
They are 2-wire connectors,.. just jumper the 2 wires together...
When these go bad, they cause intermittent stalls all over the place...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 07:19:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike quit for no apparent reason, any ideas?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.