Send Topic Print
Fork travel (Read 170 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Fork travel
06/22/17 at 08:26:52

I didn't use zip ties, I just measured the slick looking spot. That's possibly the seal line, and the dust wipers run above that, so, the measured
4.325" travel might be a tad under the true travel.
Is that bottomed? And should I Care? I'm improving the cornering, and I can't point to a problem I'm having because of the suspension, but if it was better I might appreciate the difference.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Fork travel
Reply #1 - 06/22/17 at 11:36:47

I just posted an article called "Setting Up the S40 Suspension" that was inspired by you.

There is 5 inches of available travel on the S40. You are using 87% during normal riding? That's not good. You need to respring that bike. Read my recent article in RSD.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 06/22/17 at 12:38:18

Jenny Craig

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 06/22/17 at 13:11:53

AAHA! You just gave me an idea!
I wonder what it would cost to have a message delivered by someone, like a telegram, but Not a telegram.
I Wonder what it would cost to have someone run up behind someone, Kikk'em Square in the Ass, and run away?
Got any poor, desperate track stars from California in here?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #4 - 06/22/17 at 14:12:50

JOG, I think that's referred to as a "hit"

No track stars in this group...they can all run faster than the S40 so they don't need to buy our bikes  Grin Grin Grin Grin

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 06/22/17 at 15:12:16

Might I suggest some Progressive springs they hold up my phatt a$$ just fine ! Was a worthy upgrade ! Just practicing up on my paper cut insults !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #6 - 06/24/17 at 13:53:53

I am wondering if you measured from the "settled point with you on the bike?  How much of that travel was used up there?

I think the first thing I would do is to remove forks one at a time and clean out and make sure they are cleaned out and fresh oil in there.  At that time check springs to make sure they are within specs on the free length length.  If they have weakened over the years then replace.

Be sure to use correct viscosity fork oil and proper amount, too.

This is an easy process to do.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 06/24/17 at 19:14:01

Before I start digging in, I want to study it. I'm gonna do the steps outlined.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #8 - 06/24/17 at 19:32:13

That means he's going to stare at it !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 06/24/17 at 19:35:09

I knocked my goat OUT ,  !

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 06/26/17 at 01:38:59

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/22/17 at 08:26:52:
I just measured the slick looking spot. That's possibly the seal line, and the dust wipers run above that, so, the measured
4.325" travel might be a tad under the true travel.

JOG:  For that measurement - did you take the weight off the bike so that you measured the full "travel" distance....or just the available travel beyond where the forks go when the bike is leaning on the sidestand?

Gary has provided everything you need to know about measuring sag and setting up the forks for your your weight.

I have a neighbor that has a Suzuki Burghman, and he was complaining about the poor ride quality of the forks.  We started looking at them and discovered that he had very little usable travel, as the forks were sagging and more than half the travel was gone when he sat on the bike.  He contacted Race Tech and got a new set of springs for his weight and a set of the Emulators.  We set up the forks and he rode for a week and felt that the ride was much improved - but he still felt the ride was a little harsh on the small bumps.  We drilled the holes in the brass plates to make the ride a bit more compliant (following the instructions that came with the emulatiors), and also made a small adjustment to the sag height - and the bike had a much improved ride.

Fork springs can get weak over time, the factory springs are not always the best spring rate for "you", and the Emulators are an improvement over damping tubes.  Even if you don't spend the cash on new springs and Emulator plates - doing maintenance and adjustment on the forks can make for a better ride and handling.

« Last Edit: 06/26/17 at 18:50:44 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #11 - 06/26/17 at 13:44:32

Does anyone offer after market fork springs?  I could find any by progressive suspension or sonic springs...

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 06/26/17 at 15:05:41

pg wrote on 06/26/17 at 13:44:32:
Does anyone offer after market fork springs?  I could find any by progressive suspension or sonic springs...

Best regards,

I don't think you'll find anything marketed as such.
But you will find replacements by size and rate.
Here's Gary's thread, he does mention a part number, but you'll have to read to find the correct rate for you.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1421689358

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #13 - 06/26/17 at 15:07:11

My fork has Ryca lowering kit & progressive springs , but not sure if they are ok with stock fork. Call progressive good people they will help. Mine were about $100 from Ryca.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #14 - 06/26/17 at 15:31:23

verslagen1 wrote on 06/26/17 at 15:05:41:
pg wrote on 06/26/17 at 13:44:32:

Best regards,

I don't think you'll find anything marketed as such.
But you will find replacements by size and rate.
Here's Gary's thread, he does mention a part number, but you'll have to read to find the correct rate for you.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1421689358

Thanks for posting.  I don't have any first hand knowledge with RaceTech; however, it is supposed to be some real good stuff.  If Gary's thread is not a stickey somewhere, I hereby nominate it.   Smiley

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:41:44

General CategoryThe Cafe › Fork travel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.