Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
I joined the crash club.....dang! (Read 233 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Re: I joined the crash club.....dang!
Reply #15 - 06/20/17 at 15:13:45

UPDATE:

Well, I rode my route home, not home just yet, on ferry....
But I got to look at distance now, trying to gauge it all.
My best guess is, I was 25 feet from the the boulevard stop, with the car in front.
He goes, rolling through the stop.
Another 15 feet of so called shoulder exsist before you are really in the travel lane of the new road we are entering....
And we are taking that an a angle as well, so it really is a nice cushion, or time to change your mind, like him.
I figured I traveled close to 20 feet, increasing my throttle, maybe 5 to 10 mph, with about 5 to 8 feet to maneuver once I realized  the pooch was waiting for  me.....

Final thought.

I really let my judgement slip. I had more that enough room to enter the flow of traffic if I stick to a safe game plan.
Trying to jump into the game quicker that I needed was a major failure on my part.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #16 - 06/20/17 at 16:41:11

raydawg wrote on 06/15/17 at 11:26:59:
Hope you don't get hit on your bike, anytime soon  Grin lol, haha

PS... God's listening...  Undecided

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #17 - 06/20/17 at 16:50:53

Serowbot wrote on 06/20/17 at 16:41:11:

HE is there watching and listening, ALL THE TIME, everything you do,say or think; every intention of the heart.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #18 - 06/20/17 at 17:39:48

Serowbot wrote on 06/20/17 at 16:41:11:

Glad you got your dig in Bot, feel better little man?
Why don't you keep politics and religion in the appropriate board?

The question was rhetorical, no answer needed punkin  Kiss

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #19 - 06/20/17 at 18:56:03

Ray , All kidding a side, sincerely glad your OK !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #20 - 06/20/17 at 21:31:04

So Ray , what was his reason for STOPING so unexpectedly ?   You know we all share the road and doing unexpected things is against the unspoken code ...    Huh

Don't take all the blame on yourself , but watching for screw-balls is part of bike ridding !  Wink

me and you are the same age ... you a Feb. baby ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #21 - 06/21/17 at 05:14:59

I got you by a month boss, January  Grin

He said he just thought he didn't have enough traffic break to get in safely...
Thanks for being on my side of the event, but I should have made dang sure I had a clear path.

After reading what a real crash is here, I am almost thinking my cherry is still in tact.
My honeymoon night still untainted with the shear joy of bringing a complete body to the joyous occasion  Grin

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 06/21/17 at 08:07:12

Has anyone been intentionally hit by someone?  It happened to me once, and a guy riding in front of me once.  I went to court as a witness for the other guy.  He was passing a Chevy Luv and the driver swerved to stop him and he crashed into the rear driver side launching the rider across the oncoming lane off the road.

I rode up got the plate number and went back to assist the rider.

In my situation a Bronco swerved sharply into a right hand turn lane clipping my rear tire.  We were both stopped and the driver clipped me as the light changed then returned to their original lane.   That was a hit and run, never found out who did it.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #23 - 06/21/17 at 09:40:54

Eegore wrote on 06/21/17 at 08:07:12:
 Has anyone been intentionally hit by someone?  It happened to me once, and a guy riding in front of me once.  I went to court as a witness for the other guy.  He was passing a Chevy Luv and the driver swerved to stop him and he crashed into the rear driver side launching the rider across the oncoming lane off the road.

I rode up got the plate number and went back to assist the rider.

In my situation a Bronco swerved sharply into a right hand turn lane clipping my rear tire.  We were both stopped and the driver clipped me as the light changed then returned to their original lane.   That was a hit and run, never found out who did it.  

Makes you want to reach out and touch someone !😠

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #24 - 06/21/17 at 10:26:58

I went down once somewhere in Tennessee after riding the Dragon. I was with a bunch of the guys from this site. I figure I hit the ground at no more than 25 mph and due to protective gear only got a bit of road rash on my wrist where the road ate a hole through my mesh jacket and just a bit of rash on my knees from them rubbing against my knee guards. My full face helmet suffered rash on the front left side. Not fun. I was definitely shaken up but the guys provided first aid for both myself and my bike. I never did tell anybody though I had a terrible headache the rest of the day.

I have had at least 3 different fools swerve into me, 2 on purpose, but I had anticipated they were going to do something stupid and I was able to get out of the way.

I hope and pray this is the worst that ever happens.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 06/21/17 at 10:51:38

springman wrote on 06/21/17 at 10:26:58:
I went down once somewhere in Tennessee after riding the Dragon.

This may sound a bit ironic - the name of the road where you went down is "'Happy Valley Road"!   Huh

Does this steep downhill curve look familiar?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 06/21/17 at 11:59:47

That death head shadow must be the killer turtle we past... or is that what got you springy?

WWW   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #27 - 06/21/17 at 12:35:56

Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgh!

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #28 - 06/21/17 at 20:40:13

Narrow downhill twisties are the hardest to judge. Your focused on the road as you should be , but doesn't leave much time to glance at speedo. Downhills you are almost always going faster than you think , excellent time to use trail braking and sooner the better. I bet that turn being somewhat blind has eaten many a rider , looks like marbles on both sides and bad shading at different times of day. Shade throws off your depth perception off and the OLDER you are the longer it takes for you eyes to adjust from sun to shade. Not picking on you Springman , talking to all including myself. Just a few things to keep in mind. Ride smart , ride safe !

I crashed on a road I had ridden up and down hundreds of times. Up was easy to go really fast but down was the bigger thrill/challenge. Huddart Park Road in Woodside CA. Riding a 78 Yamaha SR500 pumped to a 540cc with carb ,cam ,header , shocks on PIrelli Phamtoms. Just finished warming up the tires going up the road as a old pickup was coming down off of Skyline Hwy 35 pulled over for a minute so the truck could get down the hill and not slow me down. Very narrow two lane super twisty and heavily shaded. Turn around head down hill after the first 4 or 5 turns I start smelling gas , slow to look at my carb nothing leaking back on the gas , then I see it to road is glazed with gas from the pickup that had no gas cap. Too late the bike is side ways right and road turning right and going way to fast but managed to rear brake it and get thru the turn but now bike is sideways left and road now turning left , my tires are melting into butter from the gas , unable to save it this time road going left solid rock cliff straight ahead with a ditch before it,time to put her down as bike is almost straight made the snap decision grab the front brake and lay is down on the left side and get away from it. Sliding down the road looking for cars coming from behind while sliding to a stop looking at the SR sliding into the ditch. Totally amazed I didn't start a fire. Minor bent clutch lever and a couple grind marks here and there. Me didn't feel a thing but the adrenaline rush till I stood my bike up and my left little finger mangled by the clutch lever, next day I find out broken in two spots , but that day pulled it straight and rode to the nearest liquor store a half pint of I forget what and a forty. Moral of that long a$$ story is I couldn't see that gas glazed road in the shaded areas and smell gas slow down !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #29 - 06/21/17 at 22:01:40

No offense taken Ruttly. I will hit 60 this year and as much as I hate to admit it, the years have definitely had their effect on my.

I liked your story though. It would appear you are a much more accomplished rider than myself. I feel I would have fared much worse in your situation. So thanks for the riding tips and thanks for the pain killer tips! Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:37:56

General CategoryThe Cafe › I joined the crash club.....dang!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.