Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
I joined the crash club.....dang! (Read 233 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
I joined the crash club.....dang!
06/20/17 at 05:15:08

What is so weird is that it happened in a split second, honestly......
I was taking my normal route home.
I was in a diagonal single lane road that enters a 50 mph highway at a 45 degree Y branch.
Once you get up to the crosswalk, you glance to see oncoming traffic over your left shoulder.
The visibility is ok, not great, some obstacles, etc, but it can be done safely.
I was behind a car, he would be first to enter the highway.

At this point I am only watching him.
I see he decides to go.
I see him move out.
I then glance/look to my left to see if I too can go in this traffic break he decided to enter.
I conclude, yes, and start to give it throttle as I turn back to focus forward now and complete my entry into the highway....

WTF......

This guy decided to stop!

I quickly take evasive actions, from throttle to break and change my steering direction.
It was slow motion at this point.....
I knew I could not avoid him, so I went for minimal damage, impact.

I was able to just clip his left rear bumper with my foot brake and peg.
Bent it a tad, and got a small bump on my ankle, no blood  Grin

I was quite impressed with my reflex at my old ripe age of 64 and a 1/2....
I didn't even kill the engine  Cheesy

He got out and apologize, but I told him it was my own fault....
I should have KNOWN my path I was committing myself to, yes!

It is one of those episodes where if you are not 100 percent on your game, you elevate your risk.
I had lots of information to process at this junction, to be as safe as I can assure myself, and I missed one.
Thank goodness it was not a dead center bumper hump, the gal would be bent and so would I have been.

Heads up guys, really, it was that quick, be on your game at all times!

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: I joined the crash club.....dang!
Reply #1 - 06/20/17 at 05:35:34

That's such an easy bear trap to step in. It's a good reminder to Not be so certain that someone is gonna do something just because they start to.
You, on a bike, realize that the visibility is sketchy there.
In a car, belted in, surrounded by cage, it might be pretty easy to think about going and be forced to abort at the last instant.
But I guess you know that now.
Glad your old Ass didn't get injured and thanks for the reminder.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 06/20/17 at 05:44:31

It could have been worse. I'm sure you're shook up and seconded guessing things, which is normal. Get back in the saddle and enjoy the ride.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/20/17 at 05:46:31

I am glad you got away basically undamaged.

That one is sooooooo easy to step in.  You see the person in front of you accelerate away, and assume they are going to keep going as there is no reason to slow down or stop - but they do!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 06/20/17 at 06:43:57

You guys are right, it was so easy to step into that one, however, I had to step into it for it to happen.
I can't blame others expecting that to absolve me of  my own culpability, arg.
What I really want to drive home ( pun intended ) is that our minds can NOT think in split seconds rationally, no.
Just because you have been doing a certain thing for so long does NOT remove the risk associated with it.
In fact, complacency is most likely a mitigating fact in the outcome when just one factor changes in the routine.
That is what I have come to understand re: my first, and last, I hope, crash.
I will gladly except this as a winning moment of learning, and I hope passing it on to you guys, you can see how important it is to be 100 percent aware of everything you are doing while mounted and riding, motorcycles.

I rode in a much wiser man, and way more appreciative of what we can do in our lives to minimize risk, we all take daily....

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 06/20/17 at 06:59:41

Glad you made it out with the limited damage to you and the bike.
I have committed that sin in a vehicle a few times and it is one that just jumps up and bites you.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/20/17 at 07:31:16

I learned that lesson while driving, never take your eyes off the guy in front of you.

WWW   IP Logged
Rodger

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/20/17 at 07:45:30

VERY glad you weren't injured, Raydawg. Could have been much worse.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #8 - 06/20/17 at 09:02:18

Glad to hear you are OK. And thanks for sharing, it helps us all be better riders.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 06/20/17 at 10:20:20

It happens to the best of riders. Glad your ok , your man enough to admit it . Tell me you didn't even get a run in your nylons !   Grin Grin Grin

« Last Edit: 06/20/17 at 11:59:37 by Ruttly »  

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/20/17 at 10:44:54

How many years and miles have you been riding?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #11 - 06/20/17 at 11:22:30

6 years, about 40,000 would be a fair guess.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 06/20/17 at 12:37:36

Dude, you Touched something. Got a boo boo on your ankle. You haven't Crashed until you've got to get up off the ground.
That's a Really Good batting average.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 06/20/17 at 15:04:49

I've had one bike incident and one full accident and both times they happened in a split second.  Time does move slowly as the thing happens and reactions may or may not have time to happen, but you can see things as they happen whether you can do anything about them or not.
I had one car accident 1975 and the detailed mind photo is still there.
I hit black ice and was sliding with no control at all and closing on the vehicle in front.  I knew I would hit him and remember bracing my arms on the wheel...the next instant was impact as my chest hit the steering wheel center and my neck the top of the wheel.  I did not feel or even know that my hands smashed into the dash and my knees into the bottom of it.
The very next moment was after impact when I could not breath, I unbuckled and rolled out of the car and was on my knees trying to get breath back into my lungs.
In '75 I was a young 27 and was very strong and had superb reflexes.  I fully expected to be able to hold myself back with my arms...foolish youth I was.  Even with the surge of adrenaline at that moment and a closure rate of about 35 mph the impact was so sudden and strong I might as well have just been sitting there doing nothing.

My bike accident was a sudden thing as well.  Riding normally one instant then the next seeing a problem and having an instant to correct at 50 mph, then everything goes out of my control as the front wheel hits a hole and all forward motion from 50 mph stops and all of that energy is transferred into a vertical direction. My spine is jammed, partially crushing one vertebrae while breaking pieces of 5 others as I go flying in the air.  Landed flat on my back; searing pain; no breath; can't move anything and yet trying to force my body to breath; finally as unconsciousness approaches a breath, then another small one, and another, and I am breathing.  The pain was completely paralyzingly, could not speak.  3 People gather around me, a woman asking who she can call, a man calling 911, and another man (an EMT) stabilizing my head.  They were there in seconds from when I hit the ground.  GOD PROVIDED.
I could move my arms and legs, my head still immobilized.  Broken bones in the back, broken ribs, severely bruised internal organs.
1 year recovery to 90%, 1.5 years to full recovery.

But I went on a Dragon ride at 5 months while still wearing a clamshell back brace.   Grin Grin Grin  Cool 🏍🏍🏍

(Yes, that was a VERY careful, gentle and sensitive ride for me)

This year marks 50 years riding.  OOOH RAAW !!!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 06/20/17 at 15:13:37

As OLD as he is we should give him that one as a crash. But indeed a crash is busted bones & road rash , bloody limbs , been there done all three ,
NO FUN !!!

Won't be long till mama takes it away for good !
If she finds those shredded pantyhose!  Grin Grin Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 04:33:50

General CategoryThe Cafe › I joined the crash club.....dang!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.