What is this sound? (Read 170 times)
TheNaughtyLemur

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, CA
What is this sound?
06/19/17 at 22:45:34

https://youtu.be/NWo-dV0nnZU

Starting around 1:13 as I make the right hand turn you can hear an almost growling sound. This started after I rejet the bike (but not immediately after). The bike sat for about a week and when I came back to it I found this noise.

Some other symptoms that popped up around the same time:

• The idle seems to be sporadic. Once warmed up It idles fine (I have it set to idle at 1150 RPMs). However if I ride fast (most notably coming off the freeway at 70+ mph) and then come to a stop light the idle could end up drastically low, almost dying low. However the idle is now set to run around 1300 RPMs and that seems to keep it around 1050 RPMs when it drops from the deceleration (990 at the lowest it seems).

• I do seem to be getting a little surging when riding with relatively low throttle, such as coming up a slight incline in 2nd gear at 20 mph.

I have the MAC exhaust and headers kit with jetting at 52.5 pilot/155 main/ 3 washers on the needle. And also the raptor petcock. Where would a good place to start be on this?

06 Suzuki S40 - 140/90-15 Rear Tyre - Raptor Petcock - MAC 2" Header and Exhaust Kit
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: What is this sound?
Reply #1 - 06/19/17 at 22:50:34

when you hear the noise put your hand on the speedo headlight mirrors to see if it goes away.

it's a low chuffing noise almost like a rock in the hub cap.
check the torque on the drive pulley.

wow... you did that?

WWW   IP Logged
TheNaughtyLemur

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #2 - 06/19/17 at 22:53:21

They offered it for a significant discount so that they could make a youtube installation video. I have yet to see a video from them and that was months ago. The Exhaust sounds cool though

06 Suzuki S40 - 140/90-15 Rear Tyre - Raptor Petcock - MAC 2" Header and Exhaust Kit
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #3 - 06/20/17 at 03:00:14

@Lemur,

1. With or without rejetting we got rid of our low speed surging by simply adjusting the air/mix screw as per Lancer's instruction to set it to idle at it's fastest.

2. What camera did you use to shoot the video?

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
TheNaughtyLemur

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #4 - 06/20/17 at 10:17:21

eau de sauvage wrote on 06/20/17 at 03:00:14:
@Lemur,

1. With or without rejetting we got rid of our low speed surging by simply adjusting the air/mix screw as per Lancer's instruction to set it to idle at it's fastest.

2. What camera did you use to shoot the video?

GoPro Hero 5 Black mounted to the risers on the bars.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 06/20/17 at 12:58:54

Lemer ,20mph ,up hill ,maybe you should be in first gear!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
TheNaughtyLemur

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #6 - 06/20/17 at 13:27:18

batman wrote on 06/20/17 at 12:58:54:
Lemer ,20mph ,up hill ,maybe you should be in first gear!

Can I ask why? Out of genuine curiosity? I'll start this out by saying I am by no means an expert, but my car has always been a manual car (and I have 5 years experience of that). At 20 mph I would never be in first. And I get that it's different being on a motorcycle, but the RPMs are never lower than idling, and I have plenty of power should I need it. Being in second also keeps the bike quieter in my neighborhood.

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #7 - 06/20/17 at 17:32:27

@TheNaughtyLemur: Batman gave me the same advice a little while back at it really changed my riding. I also installed a tach on the bike so I could learn to read the bike.

I used to almost 'lug' the bike at times because, being a new rider, and enjoying the torgue of this bike, I kept it at the lower limit for each gear.

I have since found that the bike is much more responsive (and I feel, safer, and the bike feels like it's more at home) if I run at higher rpm than I used to. I did some test riding where I could safely stretch out the gears, and you really can't hurt the engine with the throttle (that is not a challenge ... I know someone out there will take it as such!).

Just my two cents worth  Smiley

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 06/20/17 at 18:09:32

Lemer ,if your idle speed is 1100 rpm and the bike is on a level road ,with the throttle closed ,you'll be doing about 8 mph. I f you open the throttle to go uphill at 20 mph the rpm will be about 2800-3000 rpm ,torque peaks at 3500 rpm ,so the bike will respond to the load. Not so if your in 2nd gear at 20 mph turning 2200 rpm only 1100 rpm above idle, and 1300 rpm below peak torque ,your lugging the motor!You can't compare a one cylinder bike to your 4-6-8 cylinder car,even a 4 cyl. car  has a power stroke every 180 degrees-your bike every 720 degrees of crank rotation .you need to keep your rpm higher that means first gear I wouldn't be shifting to  2nd , in the example you stated above, until about 30mph .the bike has to move 360 lbs + your weight up that hill.It needs to be turning higher rpm to develop  the torque /hp to do it.

« Last Edit: 06/20/17 at 21:26:05 by batman »  

IP Logged
TheNaughtyLemur

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #9 - 06/20/17 at 23:03:02

So I should keep cruising speed around 3500 RPMs? What should each shift point be, 4000 RPMs?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 06/21/17 at 00:24:30

On flat ground, uphill, downhill, you have different shift points.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 06/21/17 at 01:09:33

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/21/17 at 00:24:30:

Yep.....when you are accelerating briskly and want to get to speed quickly your shift points will be higher.  In the SCHOOL ZONE, on level or downhill and when using light throttle you can drop the shift points a bit lower.  I generally shift and cruise around at 3,000 rpm when I am riding at a relaxed pace.

The important thing is that you don't get in a habit of applying full throttle when your engine rpm is low.  If you feel the engine making "chug,chug,chug" power pulses...it is time to shift to a lower gear and get the rpm up a bit.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #12 - 06/21/17 at 01:21:11

My average rpm was about 2500-3000. Now I generally run on 3500-4000.  When accelerating hard 4500-5000 does the job, and there's another 500-1000 rpm available if I really need it ... which is rarely.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 06/21/17 at 08:11:16

Lemer ,Take your bike to the hill in question ,pretend that there is a mad dog that runs out and wants to eat your leg for lunch! Your in  2nd gear going up the hill @20 mph ,open the throttle ,and your speed barely increases ,the dog takes a chunk out of your leg, you were in the wrong gear! now start up the same hill either in 1st gear @20 mph or 2ndgear @30 mph when the mad mutt runs out you open the throttle and the bike pulls away briskly leaving the mad mutt breathing exhaust gas and your leg intact ,you were in the right gear at the right speed.You don't need to keep the bike at 3500 rpm ,you might be fine in 2nd gear at 20mph on level road(school zone) but not going uphill, your putting extra load on the motor(the hill) and you need to raise rpm to provide more power the closer you are to 3500 rpm the easier it is ,at 2200 rpm in 2nd your just beginning to make torque ,which makes it hard for the motor to increase  rpm.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 06/21/17 at 11:53:37

Dave wrote on 06/21/17 at 01:09:33:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/21/17 at 00:24:30:

Yep.....when you are accelerating briskly and want to get to speed quickly your shift points will be higher.  In the SCHOOL ZONE, on level or downhill and when using light throttle you can drop the shift points a bit lower.  I generally shift and cruise around at 3,000 rpm when I am riding at a relaxed pace.

The important thing is that you don't get in a habit of applying full throttle when your engine rpm is low.  If you feel the engine making "chug,chug,chug" power pulses...it is time to shift to a lower gear and get the rpm up a bit.

I agree whole heartedly.
WFO throttle can produce chugging in wide range or rpms while a relaxed 1/8 throttle can cruse.
You can even go from 1/8 T at near chugging rpms to a 1/4 or so w/o chugging.
Do you have to be ready to challenge OF when he sneaks up behind you?  Hell yeah but not in a 25 mph zone.  Gear and rpm are commensurate with the up and coming events.

If a mad dog appears I'm ready to drop a gear and then it's a barking contest I'm likely to win.   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:26:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What is this sound?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.