Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
77 miles Indicated, 1.98 gallons (Read 155 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
77 miles Indicated, 1.98 gallons
06/19/17 at 08:42:50

Mkay, the two toof bigger Kawasaki front pulley, and I Still don't know how accurate the speedometer/odometer are.  Did the gearing increase make it accurate or is it under reporting?
Did I get a good fill on the tank? I remember a recent fill up where the bike was just not level,, but it wasn't bad,,
Anyway, I am riding it differently and it does shove the windscreen and saddle bags and me, sitting as straight up as I can, down the road.

Aaand for the question of the day,,,
If it's running lean, will I get Less MPG?
The 05 delivered 49 mpg running Dunlop 140/90 rear, stage one cam, and Supertrapp with 14 disks and I got soot on the brake arm.
IDK what jets I have.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: 77 miles Indicated, 1.98 gallons
Reply #1 - 06/19/17 at 08:55:34

JOG:

The gearing change will make the reading on the speedometer read slower than you are actually going...and the Odometer will show that you have traveled fewer miles than you really have.  (And your mpg calculations based on that will show that you got fewer mpg than you really did).

You are the only one who can determine how accurate your speedo and Odo are on your bike.  And...it is entirely possible that the reading on your speedo and the miles recorded on the Odo are not similarly accurate (or inaccurate).

Do you have any access to a GPS?  You can use that to check your speed as you drive, and most of them allow you to check trip mileage so that you can compare you Odo reading.  

If you don't have access to a GPS or a fancy phone app to check mileage - you are going to have to do some work using the mile markers along the highway.  Go at an indicated 60 mph and time the distance between mile markers...it should take 60 seconds.  And do the same for the distance.....record the Odo reading and then go for a ride and see how the mileage indicated compares to the changes on the mileage markers - in this area they count from the county line so you have to be careful not to cross the county line or the numbers will change.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 06/19/17 at 09:09:57

From time to time the local police put "Your Speed" radar units up. I always make a point of doing a speedo check on these. There is one up now, and I was able to confirm that 60 mph indicated on my bike is actually 65. This is set-up in a 45 zone...luckily I made it past without incident.

If these un-manned radar units go up where you live it would be good to check your speedometer.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 06/19/17 at 09:36:54

Yeah, Dave, I'm the only one who can figger out if it's accurate.
The question is
Does MPG suffer if I'm lean?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 06/19/17 at 09:45:25

If you are lean, MPG should be improved. Of course, if too lean your valves and potentially your piston suffer...as does your wallet.

MPG is NOT a good indicator of mixture. Throttle response is the best indicator. If you have surging during steady throttle operations (cruise) then your carb is too lean on the needle circuit.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 06/19/17 at 09:54:46

I've got about six thousand miles on it myself,and I'm not gentle with it..
I guess I'll have to see how truthful it is reporting speed and distance.
Then be sure to fill up the same way. Doesn't take a Big difference in getting it filled up to mess up the MPG calculations. Fail to get it all the way full, run it, then get it right filling up and it looks like crappy MPG.
Poot.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 06/19/17 at 10:11:27

JOG your reduction in gearing is 8.3% that means your 77 miles was really 84.5 divided by 1.98 =42.1 mpg (ballpark)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
TheNaughtyLemur

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #7 - 06/19/17 at 10:14:04

I use Fuelly on my phone to help keep track of fuel ups, that way it's all averaged to give you your average mpg.

06 Suzuki S40 - 140/90-15 Rear Tyre - Raptor Petcock - MAC 2" Header and Exhaust Kit
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/19/17 at 10:16:29

You can't beat GPS to get the most accurate info.  Even the latest smartphones are managing to relay rather accurate information so if you don't have one maybe someone you know does.

If you can get ahold of a standard hiking GPS it will collect more information than you would need.  Distance, elevation, immediate path, max/min speed, averages, etc.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 06/19/17 at 10:37:21

My wife has a smartphone. But I think she has a
Save me, I'm being kidnapped
App that will scream if I touch it.
Maybe I can get a container ship to slip in unnoticed and snag it for me.

IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #10 - 06/19/17 at 13:28:52

JOG, if you can't get a smart phone, pick two towns say fifty or a hundred miles apart. Pick a service station in each town and Google Map the distance between the two. This should give an exact mileage, fill up at on station and ride to the other following the Google Map directions, time yourself for the ride, this should give you a fairly accurate idea of your average speed. Fill up on completion and you will have a fairly accurate idea of fuel consumption.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 06/19/17 at 13:52:43

what about your ken doll?
does that have gps?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 06/19/17 at 13:56:19

jcstokes wrote on 06/19/17 at 13:28:52:
JOG, if you can't get a smart phone, pick two towns say fifty or a hundred miles apart. Pick a service station in each town and Google Map the distance between the two. This should give an exact mileage, fill up at on station and ride to the other following the Google Map directions, time yourself for the ride, this should give you a fairly accurate idea of your average speed. Fill up on completion and you will have a fairly accurate idea of fuel consumption.

You're a Frikken GENIUS!
Talk about a win win..
The ride to my doctor's puts me leaving by a station and getting into Quitman with one across the street. Should be about forty miles.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 06/19/17 at 13:59:04

verslagen1 wrote on 06/19/17 at 13:52:43:
what about your ken doll?
does that have gps?

No Verslagen, it's an Old One. No innerneck connection outside of WiFi. All it has is a sundial app. And you gotta pull his pants down to make That work.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #14 - 06/19/17 at 16:00:34

FFIW, I have discovered that I can get more petrol in the tank when it is on the side stand than when level. Go figger.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:27:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 77 miles Indicated, 1.98 gallons

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.