Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
NEW CLUTCH PADS AND SPRINGS (Read 249 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: NEW CLUTCH PADS AND SPRINGS
Reply #15 - 06/26/17 at 08:59:02

Step 1 check the position of the gear case lever to the marks --- is OK

Step 2  Verify you have enough cable slack in the set up to allow the clutch to disengage fully.   Quantify at the clutch lever at the handle bar -- lever ball end should move 3/8" to 1/2" before slipping the clutch.

My lock wheel adjustment at the clutch lever pivot had gotten loose and the hollow threaded adjuster had moved out to take up all my slack.   I was never disengaging all the way, thus my occasional slippage.

Correctly adjusted at the handle bar lever lock ring adjustment, my slip issues went away.

I also changed the oil, which didn't hurt things, I am sure.

Tear down was avoided, clutch remains "GOOD".

During road testing, I was amazed at how little tension pressure at the clutch lever will result in a total slip condition.   Next to nothing (an ounce of pressure) will cause the clutch to completely disengage -- a fraction of an ounce would cause irritating slippage at full throttle in 5th gear.

I think I could use stiffer springs -- anybody got a source for that?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 06/26/17 at 11:29:43

I was amazed at how little tension pressure at the clutch lever will result in a total slip condition.

Totally agree. Downright spooky how little the lever moves and how easy it is.

If you have something added that keeps the clutch lever from having some slop in it, that is the equivalent of
Zero Toe Play on a clutch in a pickup. That's at best keeping the throw out in a constant state of contact and light pressure. The rod wears even if the lever has free play.
I would remove the spring and see if you see a difference.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #17 - 06/26/17 at 23:04:26

Na

The lever on the motor has plenty slack and is right in the middle of the marks on the transmission .
The cable has plenty of free-play too.

I think the new "T-4 Rotella" must have friction modifiers in it.

Tonight I cut some .250" springs to length and put them in .   The original springs were .210" and my new ones are a little longer length.

The new springs that came with the new plates are only .190" , but they are longer.   But they did more slipping than the original clutch.   So , here I am with the .250 cut springs .010" longer than the original.   The clutch feels a little stronger .... I'll try it out good tomorrow !  Wink

I might have to change oil ... AGAIN !

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 06/26/17 at 23:11:39

make sure the springs don't bottom out.

WWW   IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #19 - 06/26/17 at 23:31:52

Yea , Versey --- I wanted to leave them longer but they got trimmed till I could get a bent flat tip screwdriver in-between the coils.   I rode it to the house from the Tractor shed and it did good .... it does feel stronger a little so I'm hopeful  it might not slip this time ???  Undecided
I'll find out tomorrow .

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 06/27/17 at 17:17:46

The throwout lever inside the cover is sintered metal. Mine broke not long after I shimmed the clutch springs with a flat washer under each spring. But, my assfaced ape brained currently incarcerated Former SIL was riding it, and for all I know he was crushing the lever to the handlebars..
Others have broken without cause. Others have held up with aftermarket stronger springs.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #21 - 06/27/17 at 21:39:41

I broke one of those pivot things under the side cover one too.   Best I remember it had something to do with a washer under the spring too ...  Grin

I put a spring in between the cable bottom stop and the crankcase lever to keep the cable pulled tight .   After thinking about breaking that little rocker inside the case ...  Roll Eyes ...  I think I add some more slack to the cable ...  Wink

So I was ridding double today and even with a cold motor I couldn't make the clutch slip !   Smiley    Hope it stays that way.  

Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #22 - 06/28/17 at 20:54:40

Think I paid less than $100 for the Barnett clutch kit. Frictions , steels & springs. Fair deal , great clutch , no problems so far , and I give it a workout !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/18/24 at 12:18:25

General CategoryThe Cafe › NEW CLUTCH PADS AND SPRINGS

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.