Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Removing shocks without supporting bike body (Read 85 times)
AlexW

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Durham, NC
Removing shocks without supporting bike body
06/16/17 at 07:47:48

This is, almost certainly, a very silly question, but it's bugging me. I have to replace my rear shocks next week (I'm roughly the size of 2.5 Japanese bike testers - so although I'm well within the bike's weight limit, the rear shocks are shot...). At present, I don't own any kind of bike lift, and don't have the workspace or Home Depot shopping-run ability to make a wooden stand unless it's absolutely necessary (it would require a couple of favours to be called in).

I don't think I can switch the shocks one at a time as I'm going up to Progressive 12" ones.
Is there any sensible way to do it without giving in and finding something that can support the bike's weight? What, exactly, happens if you take both the shocks and then let the weight sit on the rear wheel?

2012 (orange) • Dyna muffler/Oldfeller air filter • 152.5/52.5, ~2/3 spacer removed • Raptor petcock; Progressive 12" shocks.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Removing shocks without supporting bike body
Reply #1 - 06/16/17 at 08:05:31

You can change one shock at a time,but going to longer shocks your going to need some form of jack. do you have a car jack? can you borrow one from a friend? do you have any friends? Cheesy  Can you hang the bike from something overhead? can you set the frontend of the bike on flat boards ,stake it down and dig a hole in the ground under the rear tire ? do you have determination ?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
AlexW

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Durham, NC
Reply #2 - 06/16/17 at 08:15:30

I do have access to a car jack. So, very briefly, what would I do?

2012 (orange) • Dyna muffler/Oldfeller air filter • 152.5/52.5, ~2/3 spacer removed • Raptor petcock; Progressive 12" shocks.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 06/16/17 at 08:24:15

You could lock the front brake buy wrapping tape around the lever and grip , ,and tie the bike off to something on both sides for balance,then place the jack under the motor(not the swing arm it needs to move ) jack to take tension off the shocks ,remove, jack a bit higher ,install the new shocks .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
AlexW

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Durham, NC
Reply #4 - 06/16/17 at 08:27:07

Awesome. Sounds simple enough (and particularly useful hint to lock the front brake up - I hadn't thought of, or come across, that idea yet...).
Thanks  Smiley

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 06/16/17 at 08:48:18

And if you don't have a tie off on both sides, if you have a post or small tree you can roll the front wheel up against it and just strap the front wheel to the post. That will offer some security to keep the bike from tipping left or right, but still allows you to jack it up because the wheel can rotate on the axle (if the front brake isn't on at the moment).

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/16/17 at 09:10:00

I use a front wheel stand and tie downs to hold the bike steady and then just jack the rear of the bike up.  

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #7 - 06/16/17 at 09:41:37

I used a log, lifted the rear fender against the rear tyre.
Worked fine.

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/16/17 at 14:15:56

A block of wood to protect the engine block and a scissor jack from a Subaru worked perfectly. Place the jack sideways to the frame to minimize tipping. I also added a 2x4 under the rear tire, locked the front brake with a bungie on the lever. I needed to make small up and down adjustments with the jack to allow the shocks to slip on and off easily, without undue jerking. Remove the nuts (and SAVE nuts and washers) while the bike is on the ground-they can put up a fight. Then slowly jack it up to take tension off the mounting bolts-each side is just a little different. Slide the new shocks on and snug the hardware. Finish tightening when it's back down. BTW, if you need almost new stock shocks (<50 miles), I'm your man. PM if you are interested.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #9 - 06/16/17 at 17:14:56

Actually, I made a stand in just a few hours last week.  Used two pieces of 2 x 4's and some 2 pieces of 1/2" plywood, and a piece of 3/4" water pipe.  Glued the pieces of 2 x 4" together and sandwiched them between the two pieces of plywood.  Let dry.  Approx. size:  about 18" long by 7 inches tall.  Then drilled a hole in the left side to accommodate the water pipe.  Then sort of rounded off the top so it would "roll" better.  I take the bike in my left hand and position the stand under the rear of the motor area, and tip the stand into position by using the pipe.  When the pipe right end hits the ground, the weight of the bike holds it in place and the bike is up about 1 or so inches off ground.  Putting the stand more forward raises the front end more, and placing it further back does more to raise the rear end!

I'm pretty cheap and this worked better than I thought.  Cost me about $10.00

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 02:21:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing shocks without supporting bike body

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.