Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Removing the stock turn signal brackets (Read 95 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Removing the stock turn signal brackets
06/16/17 at 06:57:41

I'll be fitting new turn signals and not sure I can use the stock brackets on the forks. As far as I can tell I have to slide them off.

I was advised at the bike shop where I bought the signals (the same shop that sold me the wrong brackets!) that I just need to loosen the allen key bolts on the upper and lower clamps, slide the forks down low enough to get the brackets off over the top of them, and then slide the forks back into the top clamp and tighten them back up.

That sounds a bit too simple (compared to anything else I've ventured to modify on the bike!)

Can anyone verify for me if that was good advice - or is all sorts of mayhem gonna shoot out the top of the forks if I do that? Also, what role do those big hex heads play in all of this? - the ones on top of the top clamp right above each fork?

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Removing the stock turn signal brackets
Reply #1 - 06/16/17 at 07:17:37

Close.  You loosen the lower pinch bolt as described by the shop, but you have to remove the top cap on each fork leg before you can lower them in the clamps.

EDIT:  Not sure why everyone is making this so complicated (you know that the fork tubes do slide into the lowers right?).  Maybe nobody reads what I post, but to be more clear...
  • Lift the front end up enough to take the weight off the front wheel.
  • Start on one side.
  • Remove the top cap.
  • Remove the spring preload spacer.
  • Loosen the lower clamp pinch bolt.
  • Slid the upper tube down into the lower fork tube until you have enough room to get the mount off. If the fork spring is in the way, remove or bend it to the side to create the clearance needed.
  • Reverse the steps to reassemble.
  • Repeat for the other side.

« Last Edit: 06/16/17 at 09:05:03 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/16/17 at 07:21:18

That's the way I did it.
You'll also have to remove the wheel and fender.
But I've been thinking, you could remove the top tree instead.
6 of one, half dozen of the other.

WWW   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/16/17 at 07:24:57

You should be able to keep the wheel and fender on.  You can push the sliders down independently once the top cap is removed.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #4 - 06/16/17 at 07:27:54

Well first off there is no clamping bolts on the top clamps on our bikes,the tubes fit up inside the tree and are held in place buy the caps,and the clamping bolt in the lower tree.You'll have to remove the caps to slide the fork tube out,be careful ,there is tension on the cap from the fork spring.which you might be removing to slide the tube down to remove the turn signal.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #5 - 06/16/17 at 07:39:31

Thanks guys  Smiley

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 06/16/17 at 07:39:34

verslagen1 wrote on 06/16/17 at 07:21:18:
But I've been thinking, you could remove the top tree instead.

I'm thinking the same thing, but you'd have to support the bottom of the bike with a jack otherwise the bike will collapse under its own weight.  Still easier then removing the forks. If you do remove the forks, it's a good opportunity to change the fork oil.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 06/16/17 at 07:45:55

I haven't done this on the Savage, but did on my little Ninja 250 a while back and I see common things. When removing the fork cap, hold some pressure and be prepared for the spring to try and shoot the cap in your eye. It's not a ton of pressure, but just know that it will have some springiness behind it so have a handle on it.

I used both a jack under the bike (to raise and lower it as needed) as well as a couple of straps on each side of the bike ties up to the rafters of my shop to keep the bike from tipping over and falling. If I jacked it up and it leaned a little, no worries as the straps caught it like a sling of sorts.

Good luck.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 06/16/17 at 09:51:50

If you don't want them and the new mount doesn't have to slide down, why not cut them off?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #9 - 06/16/17 at 14:30:19

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/16/17 at 09:51:50:
If you don't want them and the new mount doesn't have to slide down, why not cut them off?

I would, but sometimes the authorities here will do random 'roadworthy (compliance) checks' on vehicles. Although, my mods are all fairly mild and the bike doesn't look overly modified, it is possible a very enthusiastic inspector could deem some of it non-compliant - non-stock muffler, non-rated turn signals etc.

If that happened I would have to return the bike to stock to have its registration re-approved. Also, if I ever wanted to trade the bike (not that I have plans to, but you never know) then dealers or new owners usually want the stock parts for the same reason.

There is no secondhand parts market here for this bike. And shipping from the States bites. So when I can, I save the stock parts.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #10 - 06/16/17 at 17:24:04

I did the very same thing you are describing just last week.  I had to install a new tire, and at the same time I wanted to clean out and replace the fork oil.

This is one of the easiest bikes I have had to do this to.  My suggestion is to do one fork at a time.  Spring pre-load is not that bad so no need to worry about getting hit in the face!

I first just barely broke loose the top fork caps.  Then I jacked up the bike, removed front wheel, and fender and brake assy.  Then I loosened up the pinch bolt on the bottom of the tree, and loosened up the pinch on the turn signals.  Then, by hand, I finished unscrewing the top cap.  Fork slid down very nicely. After putting that fork back on, I did the same to the other fork.

It turned out to be a very enjoyable process!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #11 - 06/16/17 at 17:33:11

IslandRoad wrote on 06/16/17 at 14:30:19:
I would, but sometimes the authorities here will do random 'roadworthy (compliance) checks' on vehicles. Although, my mods are all fairly mild and the bike doesn't look overly modified, it is possible a very enthusiastic inspector could deem some of it non-compliant - non-stock muffler, non-rated turn signals etc.

I hear ya. Cop pulled mine over a few years ago for noise and proceeded to tell me that I'd raked the frame and those welds didn't look like they were very good and where was my engineering certificate. On a stock frame! Then he asked me what brand of motorbike it was. WTF?

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #12 - 06/16/17 at 19:03:12

gizzo wrote on 06/16/17 at 17:33:11:
IslandRoad wrote on 06/16/17 at 14:30:19:

I hear ya. Cop pulled mine over a few years ago for noise and proceeded to tell me that I'd raked the frame and those welds didn't look like they were very good and where was my engineering certificate. On a stock frame! Then he asked me what brand of motorbike it was. WTF?

"In my expert opinion that bike Is not in original condition ... now ... tell me what kind of bike it is."  Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:30:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing the stock turn signal brackets

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.