Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Versy Mod Saved Me (Read 389 times)
CaptHowdy

Old Skool

South Louisiana
Versy Mod Saved Me
06/12/17 at 14:56:32

Yesterday, while tooling around on the Mighty Savage, I found myself sitting at a traffic light, minding my own business, when the motor just suddenly stopped. I hit the starter button and the awfullest grinding noise spilled from the bottom of the engine--like a Jap Zero being shot outa the sky over the Pacific. I managed to push her home where I opened the clutch cover to find the cam chain tensioner shoulder bolt had backed out. It even looked like some broken threads. The c-clip has also broken in two. darn...

IMG_1905.JPG

'00 Suzuki LS650
'97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
'89 HD FXD
'15 BMW K1600GTL
'03 Honda GL1800
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Re: Versy Mod Saved Me
Reply #1 - 06/13/17 at 06:05:21

Something else for me to worry about!!  I'm a worrier!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
CaptHowdy

Old Skool

South Louisiana
Reply #2 - 06/13/17 at 06:48:26

At the risk of sounding seditious, I never had full faith and trust in the Mighty Savage. Don't know what Clymer sez, but I ordered a new replacement shoulder bolt (which is tiny, 6x12) and a new c-clip (that is even tinier). The replacement shoulder bolt will go in with blue Locktite and torqued to 8 ft. lbs. I'll fish around with a magnet for stray metal bits, then check valve timing before a box her up and try to start the motor. I already pulled the spark plug an poked a bore scope down the hole--looked okay.

'00 Suzuki LS650
'97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
'89 HD FXD
'15 BMW K1600GTL
'03 Honda GL1800
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 06/13/17 at 07:08:41

If you aren't sure of the timing, use a hand tool to spin the motor. If it's off and nothing is ruined, it could be if you hit the starter.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #4 - 06/14/17 at 02:54:52

CaptHowdy wrote on 06/13/17 at 06:48:26:
snip

Out of interest, all looks pretty clean in there, did you salvage the gasket or was it baked on? I ask because I'm going to have to open the clutch cover in a few months and I was hoping to not have to spend another $35 on a new gasket. If it's definitely going to be cactus then I'll have one ready, otherwise I was thinking if I really need one I only have to wait a couple of days. It's only had a years worth of riding but it did get a bit hot for the first two months till I adjusted the carb.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 06/14/17 at 04:55:47

Check ebay for a replacement gasket, they are usually available for a lot less.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 06/14/17 at 09:29:20

I walked into an independent bike shop and they Printed out the gasket for$14.00. Call around.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #7 - 06/14/17 at 11:56:44

eau de sauvage wrote on 06/14/17 at 02:54:52:
CaptHowdy wrote on 06/13/17 at 06:48:26:
snip

Out of interest, all looks pretty clean in there, did you salvage the gasket or was it baked on? I ask because I'm going to have to open the clutch cover in a few months and I was hoping to not have to spend another $35 on a new gasket. If it's definitely going to be cactus then I'll have one ready, otherwise I was thinking if I really need one I only have to wait a couple of days. It's only had a years worth of riding but it did get a bit hot for the first two months till I adjusted the carb.

Mine had over 8,000 miles when I removed clutch cover and the gasket did not need replacing.  It is some sort of plasticized (?) one, so it had tremendous anti-tearing ability.  Worked well on re-assembly.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 06/14/17 at 15:24:03

On stamped C-clips there is one side where the edges are square and the other the edges are rounded , The square side should be faced toward the outside of the bike when used on the tensioner body.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 06/14/17 at 15:27:26

That's a nugget..

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #10 - 06/14/17 at 16:01:04

OK good call on eBay. Most of them are overseas and postage brings the price up, but I found this one in the UK with cheap postage, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CLUTCH-COVER-GASKET-ATHENA-For-Suzuki-LS-650-F-Sav... does it looks right? Their data as to what it fits is a bit odd.   PS sorry to hijack the thread.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 06/14/17 at 17:00:36

As far as gaskets goes they're all the same.
The athena brand is made in italy.
and includes valve stem seals.

one person said one of the non oem brands didn't have the right hole dims in one of the gaskets, don't remember which, don't remember where.  not really a problem, just resize the hole.

WWW   IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #12 - 06/15/17 at 09:17:47

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 06/15/17 at 09:24:19

My clutch actuator o-ring leaked. It's a cheap fix except for pulling the side off,
A new o-ring while you are in there costs a quarter.

IP Logged
CaptHowdy

Old Skool

South Louisiana
Reply #14 - 06/17/17 at 12:37:27

Looking at the CLUTCH side, what direction should the crank turn? The Mighty Savage is jammed in between two other motorcycles and the truck, so I can't just put it gear and figure it out. The spark plug is out and the clutch cover is removed. I'm not optimistic about what I'm going to find.

'00 Suzuki LS650
'97 Suzuki Intruder 1400
'89 HD FXD
'15 BMW K1600GTL
'03 Honda GL1800
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 07:19:25