Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Turning Over, But No Ignition / Saddlebag Removal? (Read 131 times)
wonderstump
YaBB Newbies

Turning Over, But No Ignition / Saddlebag Removal?
06/12/17 at 13:21:16

I got this bike used a month ago. She is a 2009 Suzuki S40.

She ran fine in the morning, but started her up in the evening, and she turns over, but there's no ignition.

Now I'm troubleshooting, and wanting to remove the seat to get to the air filter element (which I found out hasn't been cleaned in a year) and she's nearly at 4K miles—her second big "check everything" mile marker, so I'm thinking of checking everything—and saddlebags are obstructing my reach to get to the seat bolts.

I can't seem to see HOW to get the saddlebags off. They are Viking Soft bags, but hard mounted (no quick-release). Anyone have a clue?

I'd appreciate any and all help, as I am a complete mechanical newb, and a motorcycle newb, only riding her around in the parking lot (getting to know her) before this happened.

THANKS so much, in advance.

2009 Suzuki S40 Boulevard - My First!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Turning Over, But No Ignition / Saddlebag Remo
Reply #1 - 06/12/17 at 13:23:46

You probably need to charge the battery.
check the water level too.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 06/12/17 at 13:31:36

A picture would help!  So many different ways to mount things, especially if it was done using a homemade bracket, which is what I had to do for my Viking bags.

I suggest you open the bags and look inside for a bolt on the inside that goes through to a nut on the outside (between the bag and the bike). If you see one, that's it.  If it is on the stock brackets, look for zip ties going out and around the brackets, and if you see them, snip them off.

Pictures are worth 1000 words... Cool

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #3 - 06/12/17 at 16:17:04

If the bags are blocking access to the seat bolts, try flipping the bag up over the seat and see if the bolt is visible.  If so, remove it and do the same on the other side.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
wonderstump
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 06/12/17 at 17:04:00

[Viking Soft Saddlebag Hard mount Removal]

Worked out the saddlebag obstruction.

As Stew said, the bolt to loosen was inside (!) the bag. Seems obvious, but it took me way too long to come to that conclusion, and then to get my hands and fingers to work (see: newbie)

Loosened the forward bolts on both sides which let down the bag enough to have access to the seat bolts. Seat bolts came off easy with a ratcheting socket wrench (which I learned was 10mm from this forum, so I was all ready to go once I had access--thanks.) *insert smiley wrench emoji here*

(For the bags—there was no flipping a bag up as they are stiff and strong (hard brackets)—good for keeping stuff on your bike...not friendly for access, though—seriously considering some easy detachable method after all this fuss.)

*I checked the battery level / water as mentioned, at least from the view window the level looked fine, though The Manual does say you don't get an accurate reading from just looking there--is that correct? What do you all do when you want to get a good read on your battery level?

There's one more screw toward the back of the seat keeping it on. Now, I gotta look for an Allen wrench. Which I may or may not have, because, see: newbie.  Smiley

Thanks for all of your help and encouragement.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #5 - 06/12/17 at 19:59:27

WS,
You have the one thing working to your advantage that can't be taught, and that's the willingness to TRY. Keep the questions coming and listen to (almost) all of the smart folks here and you'll be fine.  

Let us know where you are located (city/state) as there may be forum members close by willing to lend a hand and help you learn how to work on things.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/12/17 at 21:36:10

Unless I buy from a friend or know how old and what
maker and the history of the battery, I would be slapping a new glass mat in it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 06/13/17 at 09:51:53

To check the battery level you need to remove it from the bike .ALWAYS disconnect the neg  terminal first,when removing, and connect it last when reinstalling

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 06/13/17 at 20:38:02

batman wrote on 06/13/17 at 09:51:53:
To check the battery level you need to remove it from the bike .ALWAYS disconnect the neg  terminal first,when removing, and connect it last when reinstalling

Because it's that important.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
wonderstump
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - 06/15/17 at 16:26:44

Thanks, everyone, for all of your helpful advice.

I'm still troubleshooting, and getting familiar with the bike, and its parts.

I got the seat off today and poked around.

Battery is an Xtreme 12v XT14L-A2
https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/cyl14la2xt

So, it was good to finally found out what kind of battery I have.

I got a good visual on the battery levels, and YES, the level is LOW.

Hoping this is my problem. (A thousand thank yous to Verslagen if this is true)...I would have never thought to check had he not mentioned it.

More shortly, I hope.

Thanks,
WS

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/15/17 at 17:52:02

Distilled water only

IP Logged
wonderstump
YaBB Newbies

Reply #11 - 06/20/17 at 11:03:45

Hello, all!

I put distilled water in the battery.

I tried to start her up, and she started! Yay, a little progress.

I started her 6 times:
1) Backfired a lot! But started up. No trouble turning over, rough idle, she idled for about 5 minutes.
2) Started up again, idled, then died.
3) I got the idea to play with idle mix because she was running so jaggedy and rough--stopped idling. *newbie error*
4) Wouldn't start--nothing, not even a click or sign of life at all.
5) My neutral light flickered on and off several times, then she started up rough, idled for about thirty seconds, and died.
6) Rough start and died, short run.

Yes, I realize I probably shouldn't have played with the idle mix while trying to diagnose issues--newbie mistake. (!)

There are other observations: my negative terminal battery bolt doesn't cinch, it just spins around. Which likely accounts for the neutral light on/off situation? It seems to missing this square nut piece: https://www.amazon.com/BikeMaster-Battery-Bolt-6x10mm-Rectangle/dp/B004C1ZRMO...

So, some progress, but there are still some combination issues here.

I'm going to get that part for the battery and see how much better it gets. And likely charge the battery.

Any other thoughts or things I should be checking on are warmly welcome and genuinely appreciated.  Smiley

==

Image of terminal here: http://imgur.com/a/ihV2v

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #12 - 06/20/17 at 11:36:29

So you started it 6 times in a row?  Just to be sure the battery was near dead again?

If the battery is weak.....it won't properly supply the needed voltage to the ignition system, and they will run like crap.

Do you know how old the battery is....has it been tested and proven to be good?  I think you likely just need to get a new battery......you are making a lot of needless work and worry for yourself.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 06/20/17 at 12:41:12

Wink

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #14 - 06/20/17 at 12:43:36

Buy a new battery,then you 'll know how old it is! don't start the bike 6 times in a row and not drive it ,the battery doesn't recharge that fast at 4000 rpm much less at idle!and the starter motor and headlight are the heaviest draw on the battery! Running the starter for long periods  or to many times in a row without letting rest can over heat and ruin it !

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 00:20:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Turning Over, But No Ignition / Saddlebag Removal?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.