Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Adjusting stock carb with modified engine (Read 417 times)
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Adjusting stock carb with modified engine
Reply #15 - 06/13/17 at 12:08:24

kojones,

Do you have the same model carb as we use in the US? Even in the US there are two versions of the Mikuni BS40SS that use different needle profiles.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #16 - 06/13/17 at 21:00:34

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 06/13/17 at 12:08:24:
kojones,

Do you have the same model carb as we use in the US? Even in the US there are two versions of the Mikuni BS40SS that use different needle profiles.

It's a BS40 for sure, but I'm not sure if it's a SS. Stock jetting was 47,5/127,5.

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #17 - 06/14/17 at 22:54:24

It's definately running rich now after lifting the needle, have to move the lock ring back to the center groove.

Threads on the idle mixture screw hole are busted, think I'll have to buy and rebuild another carb, the Mikuni VM36 can wait for winter  Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 06/15/17 at 01:14:58

Try a tap and die.
Hmm, didn't sound so hateful in my head, but it sure looks bad in print.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #19 - 06/15/17 at 01:26:58

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/15/17 at 01:14:58:
Try a tap and die.
Hmm, didn't sound so hateful in my head, but it sure looks bad in print.

Grin

I have a tap, but no die. The screw is one turn out and glued in place. Got another carb for cheap already.

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #20 - 06/16/17 at 00:52:16

Strange behavior after carb rebuild, the bike starts fine without a choke when cold but pulling the choke one notch on idle raises the rpm's significantly. Twisting the throttle from idle and releasing it gives a black puff. After engine braking the idle gets low for a few seconds when warm, then raises to normal. Mid range feels fine, needle in the center slot with the original spacer.

New needle and needle jet, otherwise same jets than before.

Feels rich, but really isn't?  Cheesy

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #21 - 06/16/17 at 06:28:59

Sounds like the idle jet may be to large ,and the mix screw is in to far.when you chop the throttle the rpm drops ,and when you pull out the choke the idle speed goes up(mix screw in to far).Twisting the throttle from idle your getting black smoke (pilot jet to large).You have to remember that there are two paths for fuel coming from the idle jet and the mix screw sets in one the other is unblocked,when you blip the throttle vacuum increases pulling more fuel into the carb ,and there is a delay before the side opens ,if the idle jet is to large you'll be very rich ,(your puff of black smoke).Ithink you said your running a 55 pilot ,standard here is 52.5 ,and stock setting for the mix screw is three turns out, but I think 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 would be good for you.I think you said you were at 1 turn that sounds to lean and is why your rpm is sagging when you close the throttle.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 06/16/17 at 07:18:15

batman wrote on 06/16/17 at 06:28:59:
and stock setting for the mix screw is three turns out, but I think 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 would be good for you.I think you said you were at 1 turn that sounds to lean and is why your rpm is sagging when you close the throttle.

The initial set point for the idle mix is 1 1/2 turns out, at 3 turns you wanna go up a jet, 0, down.

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #23 - 06/16/17 at 07:33:51

kojones wrote on 06/16/17 at 00:52:16:
Strange behavior after carb rebuild, the bike starts fine without a choke when cold but pulling the choke one notch on idle raises the rpm's significantly. Twisting the throttle from idle and releasing it gives a black puff. After engine braking the idle gets low for a few seconds when warm, then raises to normal. Mid range feels fine, needle in the center slot with the original spacer.

New needle and needle jet, otherwise same jets than before.

Feels rich, but really isn't?  Cheesy

No choke required when cold ... pull choke rpm increases...black smoke...TOO RICH

So what are the pilot/main jets, pilot screw setting, and needle setting you have now ?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #24 - 06/16/17 at 19:55:43

The fact that we don't know what jet needle /needle jet you used ,or if we are even familiar with that type, and the DR cam which we don't use because we think it might be a bit to radical for the S-40 makes it hard to advise what jets you need to use . The fact that you jumped from a 47.5 to a 55 pilot (3-steps) and a 127.5 main to a 155 (11-steps) seems to me a bit drastic,even with the larger piston and cam ,it may have been better to move up jet sizes in stags. You are going to get a lot of fuel just by the fact of the piston size ,if the cam has to high a lift ,(opening the valves more than 25% of their diameter) and you've "closed the centers " to much (a to long a valve overlap ) you may have a hard time sorting out your jetting .good luck!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #25 - 06/17/17 at 06:00:36

Look up the stock jetting on the carb used on the old DR650's.  
I just don't remember off hand, but it is a Mikuni CV type carb very similar to ours and is also a 40mm.  I cannot remember for sure but it seems like it uses the same type of jets as well.
Anyway, that will give you a place to start.
Remember though, that the DR head has very nice straight exhaust ports, so with our crooked exhaust ports I would expect that the jetting requirements would be slightly less than the stock DR...or at least somewhere between the 2 stock carbs.

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #26 - 06/18/17 at 06:35:22

LANCER wrote on 06/16/17 at 07:33:51:
No choke required when cold ... pull choke rpm increases...black smoke...TOO RICH

So what are the pilot/main jets, pilot screw setting, and needle setting you have now ?

160/55, needle clip in the center groove, pilot screw
one turn out. Slips off the threads when 1'5 turns out. Went on a 200 km trip, got some problems at first 80 km's that felt like the needle was sticking, after that ran like it should. 50 mpg.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #27 - 06/18/17 at 18:14:16

Kojones, you never told us what air filter your running ,if your running a K&N or similar an you oiled it, it's likely some of that oil ended up on your carb slide at first ,making it stick slightly ,before moving on.(normal)

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #28 - 06/20/17 at 08:13:51

batman wrote on 06/18/17 at 18:14:16:
Kojones, you never told us what air filter your running ,if your running a K&N or similar an you oiled it, it's likely some of that oil ended up on your carb slide at first ,making it stick slightly ,before moving on.(normal)

It is a K&N indeed, in the stock airbox.

I don't think it's that, just found my bike in a middle of a pond of gasoline, I drove it an hour ago and thought that the needle is sticking again. Didn't remember to turn the petcock to off position...

Time to drain the oil, luckily it's already been there for 1000 km's and a friend bought a van  Cheesy

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #29 - 06/20/17 at 09:35:00

Do you have a stock petcock ?or is the float valve sticking ,or the level in the float bowl set to high? If you have gas in your oil,you may want to check your air filter and air box drain too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 07:18:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Adjusting stock carb with modified engine

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.