Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Adjusting stock carb with modified engine (Read 417 times)
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Adjusting stock carb with modified engine
06/12/17 at 08:41:39

The engine has a DR cam shaft, 95mm Wiseco, K&N and a HD muffler with one baffle, exhaust port mod done, too. The jets in the carb are now 160 main and a 55 pilot, replacing the main with a 165 when I get one.

I took the carb open and I'm just trying to remove the idle mixture screw to replace that with a new one.

The motor is not yet broke in, so I've never twisted the throttle over 1/4, so just looking for a starting point to get the mixture about right. It runs fine, with a fair amount of popping and backfire.

What to do with the needle? Mine has three grooves and the spacer is the stock thick one. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Adjusting stock carb with modified engine
Reply #1 - 06/12/17 at 09:33:42

By US standards that is far richer than you should need to jet - but I have no idea what your fuel requires over there.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 06/12/17 at 10:17:23

You put all that money in the engine , if you want easy tuning and real good throttle response you should sell the stock carb and buy the mikuni vm36 kit from Lancer here in the Market Place. You will not be disappointed. Trust me on this one you will thank me later !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #3 - 06/12/17 at 11:30:51

Dave wrote on 06/12/17 at 09:33:42:
By US standards that is far richer than you should need to jet - but I have no idea what your fuel requires over there.

You think so? That DR cam isn't the mildest option.

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #4 - 06/12/17 at 11:32:45

Ruttly wrote on 06/12/17 at 10:17:23:
You put all that money in the engine , if you want easy tuning and real good throttle response you should sell the stock carb and buy the mikuni vm36 kit from Lancer here in the Market Place. You will not be disappointed. Trust me on this one you will thank me later !

That might be my next step, I'm now struggling to get the remains of the idle mixture screw out of the carb  Angry
Unfortunately shipping from US is so expensive that buying from Lancer isn't very cost effective way to get that carb.

Got the remains out without destroying the carb body, so no need for VM36 just yet  Grin

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 06/12/17 at 13:10:56

kojones wrote on 06/12/17 at 11:30:51:

The cam just lets it breathe, the fuel mixture shouldn't be any different from a stock engine with the same intake and exhaust.

In the end you still need 12 to 14 a/f

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 06/12/17 at 17:05:13

I'm with Dave and Verslagen ,I don't think you need bigger jets for more fuel/less air  ,but you may need better fuel,( higher octane ) due to higher compression.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #7 - 06/13/17 at 00:16:36

verslagen1 wrote on 06/12/17 at 13:10:56:
kojones wrote on 06/12/17 at 11:30:51:

The cam just lets it breathe, the fuel mixture shouldn't be any different from a stock engine with the same intake and exhaust.

In the end you still need 12 to 14 a/f

Makes sense. The pilot jet seems to be quite sufficient, won't idle without choke when cold. Could also be a bit lean.

How about the needle, half the spacer recommended?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 06/13/17 at 02:42:48

If you have an adjustable needle, you may just be able to move the clip to raise the needle and not have to trim the spacer.

I took my spacer out and put in 3 number 4 machine washers.  Most of the time that works fine - my Savage still had a lean surge when applying light throttle, and taking out 1 washer got rid of it.  With a Stage 1 cam, 95mm Wiseco, stock paper air filter and a Dyna muffler my carb was happy with a 150 main and a #50 pilot and 2 washers.....I ride between 500' and 800' elevation.  The other bike I jetted was stock with a DYNA muffler and it wanted a #52.5 pilot and it was OK with 3 washers and it never had the lean surge (we do have 10% ethanol in our fuel).

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #9 - 06/13/17 at 06:28:51

Dave wrote on 06/13/17 at 02:42:48:
If you have an adjustable needle, you may just be able to move the clip to raise the needle and not have to trim the spacer.

I took my spacer out and put in 3 number 4 machine washers.  Most of the time that works fine - my Savage still had a lean surge when applying light throttle, and taking out 1 washer got rid of it.  With a Stage 1 cam, 95mm Wiseco, stock paper air filter and a Dyna muffler my carb was happy with a 150 main and a #50 pilot and 2 washers.....I ride between 500' and 800' elevation.  The other bike I jetted was stock with a DYNA muffler and it wanted a #52.5 pilot and it was OK with 3 washers and it never had the lean surge (we do have 10% ethanol in our fuel).

I had a 150/50 with the stock muffler and it worked fine, but after the Dyna installation it was seriously lean. Approx 300' from sea level.

I use the E5, which has 5% ethanol. I think the the E10 isn't recommended with a high compression piston.

Going to move the clip to lowest groove, we'll see how that affects the midrange.
Removing the idle mixture screw was a nerve wrecking operation, came out in three separate parts  Cheesy
Still have to open some threads when I get a M6x0.5 tap.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 06/13/17 at 06:41:19

kojones wrote on 06/13/17 at 06:28:51:
I use the E5, which has 5% ethanol. I think the the E10 isn't recommended with a high compression piston.

We really don't have much of a choice of how much ethanol is in our fuel in the area I live in - the government mandate int the US is to reduce the dependency on foreign oil and the current way to do that is by adding 10% ethanol.  If you are going to be riding your motorcycle on trips - you need to jet your carb for the gas that is available - we have to jet for the E10 that is available everywhere that we might be riding.

Ethanol has a higher octane rating than gasoline and doesn't haven any problems with the 10.5 to 1 Wiseco pistons.  Ethanol in higher concentrations than 10% is not approved for use in any motorcycle that I know of....and we would all be happiest if the darn stuff would just go away and we could buy 100% gasoline!!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 06/13/17 at 06:46:13

Dave wrote on 06/13/17 at 02:42:48:

I had a 150/50 with the stock muffler and it worked fine, but after the Dyna installation it was seriously lean. Approx 300' from sea level.

Going to move the clip to lowest groove, we'll see how that affects the midrange.
Removing the idle mixture screw was a nerve wrecking operation, came out in three separate parts  Cheesy
Still have to open some threads when I get a M6x0.5 tap.

Did the spring, washer & o-ring come out as well ?

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #12 - 06/13/17 at 06:51:31

Dave wrote on 06/13/17 at 06:41:19:

We really don't have much of a choice of how much ethanol is in our fuel in the area I live in - the government mandate int the US is to reduce the dependency on foreign oil and the current way to do that is by adding 10% ethanol.  If you are going to be riding your motorcycle on trips - you need to jet your carb for the gas that is available - we have to jet for the E10 that is available everywhere that we might be riding.

Ethanol has a higher octane rating than gasoline and doesn't haven any problems with the 10.5 to 1 Wiseco pistons.  Ethanol in higher concentrations than 10% is not approved for use in any motorcycle that I know of....and we would all be happiest if the darn stuff would just go away and we could buy 100% gasoline!!

We also have the E85, which is all ethanol. Wonder how that would work, maybe I'll have to try Cheesy
I've read about some starting problems in winter, but the jetting isn't that difficult to adjust  Wink

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 06/13/17 at 07:02:42

E85 will corrode anything that is aluminum and dissolve most rubber that wasn't designed to be used with ethanol.

IP Logged
kojones

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Finland
Reply #14 - 06/13/17 at 11:22:25

LANCER wrote on 06/13/17 at 06:46:13:
Did the spring, washer & o-ring come out as well ?

Yes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 07:27:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Adjusting stock carb with modified engine

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.