Send Topic Print
Fork oil change (Read 336 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Fork oil change
Reply #30 - 06/14/17 at 20:07:28

Gary , Is that the norm 10-15mm or what you recommend for a stock fork or a shortened fork ? Asking a question not doubting you ! You explain things so well , can you please elaborate so this dummy can understand it.
Thanks

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #31 - 06/15/17 at 05:21:28

The free sag settings on the bike tell us whether we have the correct spring rate. With the correct spring rate we know that the suspension will provide adequate performance so the forks don't fully compress under load (a dangerous condition). There are two sag settings that we need be aware of; "free sag" (the weight of the bike only on the suspension) and "race sag" (the weight of the bike and rider on the suspension). Race sag is a user set value, and Free sag is a result of the set value.

Ideally we want to use 30% of the suspension travel for race sag. The Savage forks have 127mm of travel, so the target race sag is 38mm (1-1/2 inch). I can't find the swingarm travel for a Savage, but my guess it is only 2 to 3 inches, so the race sag would be a little over 1/2 to less than an inch. Lets call it 3/4 inch.

Race sag is adjusted through preloading the springs; washers for the forks and the collar on the shock. Take measurements from fixed points with the suspension completely extended (jacked up) to get baseline measurements. From there have someone steady the bike while you sit on it. Take measurements from the same fixed points. If you overshot the target you need additional preload. If you didn't reach the target you need less.

After these measurements and adjustments have been made it's time to measure the free sag. The target for free sag is about 10mm (probably just 5 for the rear given its limited travel). If your race sag is correct but free sag is less than recommended (10mm) or if the suspension is topping out, a heavier spring rate is indicated. Just the opposite applies, if free sag is more than the target a lighter rated spring may be needed.

« Last Edit: 06/15/17 at 06:33:36 by Gary_in_NJ »  

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #32 - 06/15/17 at 16:01:52

Remember, adding spacers (via washers or tubing) will compensate for sag if original springs have weakened (which could be due to the fact of  bottoming out).  There is always normal sag (as explained by another post in this thread, but you want to note any non-normal sag due to spring weakening.

Spring weakening can be compensated for by adding more preload, but keep in mind that if they are too weak, they will end up in bottoming out due to coil bind.  For this, the best is to replace with new springs or springs with a high compression rate.  Unless very low, adding or deleting fork oil under these conditions will not improve anything.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #33 - 06/15/17 at 16:28:42

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 06/15/17 at 16:01:52:
Spring weakening can be compensated for by adding more preload

A "weaker" spring is a spring that does not meet its design specification. You can not alter the rate of a spring through preloading. Preloading does just that, it places a load on the spring. It does not alter or change the rate, i.e. the amount of force required to move the spring a fixed distance such as lb-ft (1 lb of force moves the spring 1 ft).

If a spring doesn't meet it's design spec, it should be replaced, not preloaded.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #34 - 06/16/17 at 16:52:15

Contrare.  First, I did not say that one can alter the spring rate by adding spacers!

Adding spacer(s) has been done for years to compensate for weakened springs.  The spring/rate nomenclature that you refer to is a rate.  While, as per your example, 1 lb moves spring 1 foot, the second foot takes more than another pound - the rate changes proportionally, and adding pre-load takes the same length spring and pre-compresses it a bit because that second "inch" will then take more pressure to compress than the first "inch" did under original setup.  Weakened springs most often are shorter than their original length.  That's why mechanics use uncompressed spring length as a deciding factor in whether to replace a spring.  There is usually a "tolerance" there - after it gets so short - then replacement is needed.

A good example can be had on the rear springs/shocks on a motorcycle.  Not the progressive type that allow changeable hydraulics of the oil, but the ones (as on our LS650's) with the changeable rotating rings at the bottom.  By rotating the ring to add pre-load to the shock spring, does it, or does it not make the rear shocks harder to compress?  Same rate spring, but now "pre-loaded" a bit by the ring.  Makes the rear end stiffer.  Right? That feature is provided as a cheap way to allow some user adjustment for rider weight, or for riding double.

Only question here, is that if the forks are already bottoming out (either reaching full travel, or the springs are going to coil bind) then pre-load may not help as the springs, no matter how much compressed by pre-load, will also probably bottom out as well.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #35 - 06/16/17 at 17:01:39

Ruttly wrote on 06/14/17 at 20:07:28:
Gary , Is that the norm 10-15mm or what you recommend for a stock fork or a shortened fork ? Asking a question not doubting you ! You explain things so well , can you please elaborate so this dummy can understand it.
Thanks

The rule is to measure the length of current spring and compare it with the original length of a new spring. Add a spacer (in addition to any existing original spacers) of the same length that the older spring is in comparison to original spring.

Check specs. as with any thing that wears with use (for example: brake rotor thicknesses) it will have predictable wear (shortening) but when it falls under the tolerance permitted, it should be replaced.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #36 - 06/16/17 at 17:26:15

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 06/16/17 at 16:52:15:
 Same rate spring, but now "pre-loaded" a bit by the ring.  Makes the rear end stiffer.  Right?

Wrong. It raises the bike a bit and loses you a bit of suspension travel.
I'd rant on but it'd be a waste of time and Gary has described it perfectly anyway.

"Adding spacer(s) has been done for years to compensate for weakened springs. "
is just a cheap arse way of avoiding buying springs that do the job that's required of them. In no way will a spring with spacers provide an improvement in handling.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #37 - 06/16/17 at 17:57:11

You are wrong!  Changing the ring on the back of a bike shock does not raise the bike a bit!  It adds a bit of "pre-load" and thus makes the shock/spring harder to compress - to compensate for the added weight!

On the front adding a spacer will raise it back up to compensate for spring sag.  It has been done for years!  While replacing the springs with either springs of a higher spring rate or with original new springs is an alternative.  Using spacers has done the trick for years and years!

It all depends upon how badly the original springs have compressed and lost their "spring."

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #38 - 06/16/17 at 19:48:15

Well as long as you're content and can't tell the difference, that's all that matters. More power to ya.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #39 - 06/16/17 at 23:03:35

Whoever is able to bolster his position with information about suspension and spring rates and all that wins. I'm sure not able to mount an argument against either of you.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #40 - 06/17/17 at 07:08:09

I won't bother to argue with some one who doesn't know , cause I might not be right. If you have a question about suspension and you want the correct answer don't waste your time arguing , just ask Gary. He has proven to be a wealth of information on the subject. It's all in his head and all you have to do is ask.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #41 - 06/17/17 at 07:33:36

Ruttly wrote on 06/17/17 at 07:08:09:
I won't bother to argue with some one who doesn't know , cause I might not be right. If you have a question about suspension and you want the correct answer don't waste your time arguing , just ask Gary. He has proven to be a wealth of information on the subject. It's all in his head and all you have to do is ask.

Agreed!  I suspect that both of us are correct in some fashion or another.  Perhaps I am confusing Compression RATE with Compression LOAD.

I just refer back to the rear shocks and how one makes them more resistant to compression and that is the pre-load ring at the bottom.  Allows for more load to compress

From experience, however, we have for years done the extra tube at the top of fork springs to help against front sagging or bottoming out.  Has worked.

I agree however that the best solution is to purchase new springs if old have worn out and allow more sag.  

What bothers me in this whole scenario, is that the question started because a fairly light guy (160 Lbs?) was having the forks bottom out.  That puzzles me.  I am around 200 Lbs. and I have never had front forks bottom out or coil bind.  Except on race bikes where I came down head first on the front wheel!

Seems that there might be another problem than just fork oil quantity or fork spring.  Fork springs last a long time and for one to go bad would be highly unlikely.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #42 - 06/17/17 at 07:34:20

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 06/16/17 at 16:52:15:
The spring/rate nomenclature that you refer to is a rate.  While, as per your example, 1 lb moves spring 1 foot, the second foot takes more than another pound - the rate changes proportionally, and adding pre-load takes the same length spring and pre-compresses it a bit because that second "inch" will then take more pressure to compress than the first "inch" did under original setup

I'm going to be kind here and suggest that you stop trying to explain how springs work. Please review Hooks Law F=-kx, where kx=ma

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #43 - 06/17/17 at 09:22:52

Yeah,I SAID it bottomed out a few times. If it Didn't, I sure would hate to be there if it ever does. I didn't Measure anything. I saw signs of fork travel, but didn't SEE if it was enough to bottom out. I guess I bottomed it. It was painfully violent, but it was also a surprise. Going in and out of bright sun and dark shadows on roads that are very minimally traveled and far from the concerns of the road and bridge guys. The parts that invite a spirited approach lead into some places that look okay on approach, but there can be hidden hazards. A couple of times I fully expected a fork oil spray.
If I didn't bottom out and bottoming out is more violent than what I have seen, I Sure don't ever want to bottom it out.
It handles fine, no oil leaks, a brake on Push Pull doesn't show excessive travel or any noise.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #44 - 06/17/17 at 10:43:44

I love that word "nomenclature" it sounds so technical.

What is your profession Gary ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:30:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fork oil change

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.